1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Who is responsible?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by 37818, Jan 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are teaching works, it’s not my fault you cannot see this. If I have to do one thing in order to be saved, then that constitutes a work. You’re going back under the Mosaic Covenant.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You assume that the influence of the Holy Spirit means a person is born again. John 16:7-11. Matthew 13:20-21, ". . . he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it; Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended. . . ." And so also, Matthew 7:21, ". . . Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. . . ."

3. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Adam Clarke, who was NOT reformed, but a worthwhile read…

Verse Romans 5:14 (NAS)

Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come.

Romans 5:14. Nevertheless, death reigned from Adam to Moses — This supposes, as Dr. Taylor very properly observes:-

1. That sin was in the world from Adam to Moses.

2. That law was not in the world from Adam to Moses during the space of about 2500 years; for, after Adam's transgression, that law was abrogated; and, from that time, men were either under the general covenant of grace given to Adam or Noah, or under that which was specially made with Abraham.

3. That, therefore, the sins committed were not imputed unto them to death, for they did not sin after the similitude of Adam's transgression; that is, they did not, like him, transgress a law, or rule of action, to which death, as the penalty, was annexed. And yet-

4. Death reigned over mankind during the period between Adam and Moses; therefore men did not die for their own transgressions, but in consequence of Adam's one transgression.

So, if Brother Clarke was right, ppl prior to law were found guilty, based not upon what they did, but what Adam did. I’m not convinced this is the case, but I haven’t delved into that verse..guess I’m going to have to…but if it is, it shows that God treats ppl, via Adam’s guilt being imputed unto them, as if they were the one(s) who ate of the Tree of Knowledge.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right. It's an iteration of the Judaizers in Galatians. Going to the law in order to secure life (which can never happen).

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume nothing my friend. Jesus, in easily to understand words, said no one can see the Kingdom of God UNLESS they are born again[John 3:3, John 3:5, & John 3:8].

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again…

So, if sin is not imputed when there is no law, why were the antediluvian ppl destroyed? #RiddleMeThis

• Like Like x 1
  7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again with false accustion. You hear fully that I stated salvation is a gift. What do you do with these three promises? Faith plus baptism to be saved, Mark 16:16. Faith plus confession to be saved, Romans 10:9. Faith plus prayer to be saved, Romans 10:13-15. It is the faith that is required not the work or trusting in suggested work.

8. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These things are done are AFTER being born again. They are not a prerequisite of salvation, but an evidence of salvation. A person is born again, repents and believes[Mark 1:15]. All this happens simultaneously.

#28 SovereignGrace, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you said salvation is a gift. Must one reach out to receive it or does God unilaterally give it to that one? If it’s the former, that’s works. If I had to reach out to receive salvation, I worked, I merited it. There’s no escaping this. The only thing I added to my salvation were the sins that were laid upon my Saviour, who bore them on my behalf upon the cross.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The seeing referring to the New Heaven and New Earth, Revelation 21:27.
    But until then, Luke 17:20-21, ". . . And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you. . . ." Which is how it is now.

11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The indwelling of the Holy Spirit was not until Pentecost, John 14:16-17, John 16:7-11, Acts of the Apostles 1:8.

12. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet, none of this rebuts what I posted. I’ve seen it also translated “in your midst.”

13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is you who is holding works salvation here, not me. I stated clearly salvation is a gift.

14. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, ppl were saved and not possessing the Holy Spirit?

From Adam Clarke’s commentary of John 7:39….

Was not yet given - Δεδομενον , given is added by the Codex Vaticanus, (B.) the Syriac, all the Persic, later Syriac with an asterisk, three copies of the Slavonic, Vulgate, and all the Itala but three; and several of the primitive fathers. The word seems necessary to the completion of the sense.

Certain measures of the Holy Spirit had been vouchsafed from the beginning of the world to believers and unbelievers: but that abundant effusion of his graces spoken of by Joel, Joel 2:28 , which peculiarly characterized the Gospel times, was not granted till after the ascension of Christ:

1. Because this Spirit in its plenitude was to come in consequence of his atonement; and therefore could not come till after his crucifixion.
    2. It was to supply the place of Christ to his disciples and to all true believers; and therefore it was not necessary till after the removal of his bodily presence from among them. See our Lord's own words, John 14:16-18 , John 14:26 ; John 15:26 ; John 16:7-15 .

………………………………………………………………

To say ppl did not possess the Holy Spirit and yet be saved is not biblical. Being born again is not a New Testament reality, but was also in the Old Testament as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That one must reach out and take hold of before they are saved. That’s works if ever I saw it. The dead don’t reach out, they cannot reach out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. 5 point Gillinist

5 point Gillinist Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If one reaches out to take hold of salvation then that would be merited election would it not?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Home

Taken from an excerpt of this person’s blog…

This is what you’re teetering upon.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is your fault you accuse me falsely.
    Mark 16:16 is true. And baptism is not the requirement.
    Romans 10:9 is true. And confession of Jesus is Lord is not the requirement. Matthew 7:21.
    Romans 10:13-15 is true. And saying a prayer is not a required work in order to be saved.

19. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that’s the OP’s position. It’s unbiblical, but his position nonetheless.

20. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn’t post Matthew 16:16 as that passage is the only place where Christ adds baptism to salvation. No other place in the four gospels does Christ add baptism as a requirement of salvation. If you aver that, then handling snakes and drinking poison are a must as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.