1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Who is responsible?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by 37818, Jan 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your thinking on this. The point of truth is the salvation is a gift and cannot be merited.

2. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I agree with this. But salvation isn’t like a doll that is dangled in front of a bunch of children and the one who reaches out and takes it gets it. The gift of salvation is God unilaterally moving upon a lost person, bringing them to life via His Holy Spirit, they then exercise faith and repentance and are saved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again…

So, if sin is not imputed when there is no law, why were the antediluvian ppl destroyed? #RiddleMeThis

4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you not understand Jesus' words, John 14:16-17, ". . .
    And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. . . ."
    This did not happen until the Pentecost, Acts of the Apostles 1:8.
    Hebrews 11:39, ". . . And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: . . ."

5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have got it backwards here, making it a work. Mark 1:15. Like Mormonism and the Church of Christ cults. Belief followed by repentance as a work.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do those God chooses to save "merit" salvation? Nope

Do those God chooses not to save "merit" condemnation? Yes

The lost justly deserve condemnation because at their creation they were "made sinners" and were "condemned for unbelief." And when they reach the age of accountability, they are additionally accountable for their volitional sin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here you are changing receiving a gift into a work.

8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The need for the new birth is taught in Matthew 18:3, Mark 10:15 and Luke 18:17 before John recorded John 3:3-18.
    This is the new birth I believe in. It keeps one's name in the book of life, 1 John 5:4-5, Revelation 3:5

Now at issue, is the false notion of unconditional election in place of unmerited election. The notion of unconditional election takes the responibilty away from man. Matthew 7:21, treaches man must do God's will. You wrongly think this means a work.

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saying this does not make my belief unBiblical. Without a doubt "unconditional" is unBiblical.

10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ never made baptism a requirement for salvation. 1 Corinthians 1:17.

11. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...nor repentance...

Repentance is an effect, coming from God causing.

All believers repent because God causes us to repent.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are using “unconditional” election to refer to those that parish instead of those God brings to salvation. It is a misapplication of the phrase as used by reformed minded Christians.

To say “unmerited” election refers to a “condition that must be met” by someone to become elect, you contradict the meaning of the word “unmerited”.

You may as well say water is dry and fire is cold. If you must distort the meaning of words to support your belief, your belief is untrue.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not disputing man being held responsible for perishing.

Also, I do offer this caution.

Matthew is written fundamentally with the Jewish mindset and to prove to Jews the Kingship of the Christ. With the thinking of the typical Jews, who are used to doing as a part of worship and therefore entrance to heaven, to be a "good Jew" one had to follow all that the temple presented as what constituted as "following the law and prophets."

I put those quotes in not from the perspective of quoting the Scriptures, but from various contacts that I have had with the Jewish community over the years.

When the Lord makes the statement concerning the "doing the will of the Father," to the Jews they would then consider that as temple related doing and the customs related to being a "good Jew."

Unlike modern charismatic shenanigans in which these verses are sometimes aligned (rightfully so, imo), in Christ's day, the matter of demons, prophecy and miracles all in some manner intertwined with the temple.
    For example: Jeremiah, Zacharia, Isaiah, and others

What the Lord is stating is a principle of not trusting all who present themselves as godly, for some are not acquainted with the Lord at all, nor the God of heaven.
    He is not stating who is responsible for salvation, but the condition of those pretenders of His earthly time and by principle of all ages.

A neat discussion might be upon what day will these meet with the words, "Depart from me, I never knew you," and be cast into torment? But not this thread. :)

I do think some of the most deceitful folks I have ever met were supposed "teachers/preachers" of the Word. Did not the Lord call them lawless? What an indictment to those who were supposed to set the standard of keeping the temple and the temple ordinances!

14. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course God is responsible for their perishing. He could, if he so chose, save everyone but he does not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you would have a hard time arguing that biblically.

16. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. Humankind chose to reject and choose to remain in rebellion, God merely allows them to continue in their own deception and reaping their own destruction.

He gives every human a choice. Every human choice is to sin.

He does not give every human a choice of being redeemed any more than the customer in a grocery store is obligated to redeem every item of all varieties and all sizes.

17. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is your reasoning?

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not say responsible for their sin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No but you did say that "God is responsible for their perishing." I disagree.

The wages of sin is death. All die, for that is the consequences of Sin.

However, after that is the judgement.

It is not God's fault humankind rebel and reject.

God has made a good faith offer to all, "I will give you rest," "I will draw all men to me," "Come unto me...," "He who comes to me..." and many other pleas.

But just as our Lord cried with tears over Jerusalem, THEY would not be gathered under His wings.

Therefore, God is not responsible for the unregenerate perishing. Humankind are not deceived into sin, are not persuaded into sin. It is the nature of humankind to sin, just as it is the nature of a fire ant to bite.

The unregenerate perish because it is in their nature to perish.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Semantics. God chose the punishment.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.