Why are some posters consumed with politics

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by AustinC, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The psychiatrist who wrote this article literally wrote the book on narcissistic personality disorder.

STAT: I'm an expert on diagnosing mental illness. Trump doesn’t meet the criteria

Someone who is a narcissist could have one or all of the symptoms associated with the disorder. But to be diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder, their symptoms need to cause some kind of functional impairment. I agree with the view that Trump does not have this disorder.

2. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The difference between narcissism and Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD).

https://www.mentalhelp.net/blogs/the-narcissist-versus-the-narcissistic-personality-disorder/

3. Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes that is decent explanation. You will find that in almost all definitions of psychiatric disorders, functional impairment is a major criteria that determines whether something is a psychiatric disorder or not. You will also find that my view is pretty much the same as yours on this topic, in case you were unsure.

Most if not all the world's most notorious autocrats in history meet all the criteria for narcissistic personality disorder except for the functional impairment criteria.

I think this article explains the subtlety and why certain public figures do not meet the full criteria for NPD despite very clearly displaying all the narcissitic traits.

The High-Functioning Narcissist

4. carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet, here you are accusing others of being "consumed" by things I suppose you are immune to. Do you like it on that pedestal you have fashioned for yourself?

So, I have good reason to disagree. Hypocrites always need to be called out.

5. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry to hear about your losses.

6. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Corrie Ten Boom's words are true. God teaches us to hold things lightly. All my family are redeemed. I take great solace in God's gracious, unmerited favor.

7. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. I almost mentioned that a disorder is often a trait that causes disfunction. Back in the 90's I worked on a psych ward at Walter Reed, and that was pretty much how we explained it to patients with personality disorders. One can have obsessive compulsive traits even to the extent it is noticeable, but once it interferes with their lives it is a disorder.

I was surprised about NPD in that I did not realize it was narcissism covering insecurity. I initially assumed it was narcissism magnified to the point it became an impairment. I guess I never considered narcissism to be a disorder.

I suspect narcissism as a trait is what drives (in a positive way) many public and business leaders. You have to have some type of unusual drive to rise to many of these positions. And in business, you have to be able to fail in proportion to your success without that crushing your ego. That is why I say Trump has a huge ego (and is a narcissist (not as a disorder, but as what has allowed him to be so successful in business and in politics).

8. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psychobabble

9. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seriously believe he is successful?

10. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh so you aren’t one yourself?

11. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are a believer, then that’s good

12. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six hour warning
    This thread will be closed no sooner than 11 pm EST/ 8 pm PST

13. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. But the more important question is if he believes he is successful :Biggrin

14. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hard to tell with a narcissist but deep down in his gut he has to know he is an abject failure...and I’m not saying that to be hurtful, rather realistic. Well he had his run.

15. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt it. He did implement good policies. He did upset the status quo. The only thing that went bad was COVD and his mouth.

16. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed
    Feel free to open up a new thread on this subject
    and linking this thread is okay as well