1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why do young people become atheists?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by quantumfaith, Dec 3, 2014.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

So Van, how do YOU know that they are not believers but in a state or rebellion? Do believers never rebel? Do believers never go through seasons of doubt?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one who is a believer can deny Christ.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi QF, you are right, I do not know, as you do not know, but since the idea was to do a better job saving folks, I assumed that the idea was the atheists were not saved.

I said we do need to better prepare new converts, or potential converts, such that they do not have unbiblical expectations, like the example given in your link. You may think my expections are too low, fine. Those that put God to a test have the wrong expections. And no one has defined "putting God to the test" except me. Why not weigh in?
    How can any evangelist put forth "all Christ commanded" unless they have determined what "putting God to the test" is. Clearly the atheist was never taught not to ask for a sign.

4. quantumfaith

What about Peter?

5. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

While Rev is capable of answering for himself, this one is easy, QF. Peter did not, so far as I can tell from reading, deny the deity or Lordship of Christ, but instead denied that he (Peter) knew Jesus. Apples and oranges, QF.

6. quantumfaith

So you would think it not possible for someone to live a season of their life (perhaps a long one) as a "real believer" and due to some circumstances or experiences walk away from their faith, even to the point of denying the existence of God?

I encounter such individuals often. That at least the story of their life that they recount to me.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it is not possible and no they have not.

8. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

You're question was about Peter, so I answered about Peter.

9. quantumfaith

My earlier response was about Peter....guess we have illustrated the additive inverse property.

10. quantumfaith

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What would these "atheists" say to the premise that our prayers should not put God to the test? If they had, by those "mainline" churches, been taught all that Christ commanded, why did they violate Christ's command and ask for miraculous intervention? How about your church? What is its teaching concerning not putting God to the test?

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a view from the Pulpit commentary:
    "In this refusal of Christ's are implicitly condemned all who run before they are sent, who thrust themselves into perils to which they are not called; all who would fain be reformers, but whom God has not raised up and equipped for the work of reformation; and who therefore for the most part bring themselves and their cause together to shame, dishonour, and defeat; with all those who presumptuously draw drafts on the faithfulness of God, which they have no scriptural warrant to justify them in believing that He will honour"

13. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They become atheists because they stop by the board ....

..... and witnessed a ton of hypocrites fighting with one another. Insulting each other, Judging each other. Trying to demean and hurt others rather than build them up in Christ! So, in disappointment, they turned to atheism, knowing the believers didn't have the answer to their problems, after all! How sad.

#53 righteousdude2, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2014
  14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently no one wants to discuss the meaning of not putting God to the test, or any of the other reasons atheists cited for turning away from Christ.

15. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I cannot remember a time in my life when I did not believe in the God of the Bible. I cannot remember a time in my life when I did not believe the historical truth of Jesus Christ as the Savior. I can remember a long time in my life when I was certain I was not saved!

16. quantumfaith

I share the very same sentiment and life experience OR. I don't at the moment completely recall my thoughts when I "penned" this reply to you but i do remember it was dealing with "not sharing" the "total inability" state that I perceive is a position of yours. (depravity =total inability=totally dead....etc)

17. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Some young people become atheists because it is convenient. I have known two young men who grew up in the church. They professed Christ as Savior and said they believed in God's word. There were even demonstrated evidences of this in their young lives. However, they struggled with homosexuality and gave in to the temptation to live that life style. And, as a matter of convenience, to avoid the very real problem of dealing with God's word, they declared themselves to be atheists and have even become hostile to anything Christian.

18. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I've seen the same thing, sag. A man I went to high school with didn't "decide" he was of an "alternate lifestyle" until his Senior year. In the many years since then, he has become very openly hostile to Christianity, has declared that "no god would hate me because of the way it made me," and gets visibly angry if anyone so much as mentions the Bible.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the issue of homosexual behavior being taught as something we are born with goes beyond affecting participants. Some young people think saying homosexual behavior is wrong shows that the bible is wrong because they believe people are born that way, they believe the godless myth. Notice how they frame the discussion, i.e. homosexuals and homosexuality, rather than a choice to give in to one of the many sinful desires of the flesh.

20. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I still believe in Total Inability. However, my belief in Total Inability came many years after I experienced the Grace of God in Salvation.