1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why does divorce of any kind disqualify a pastor?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John I Morris, May 10, 2014.

1. John I Morris

John I Morris Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks so much everyone! You all did an excellent job of sharing your thoughts and convictions on this topic. Blessings to you all... :thumbsup:

2. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

My view is a little different, and probably comes from years in tiny oil field camp churches where the preacher was called from among the men in the church. He would keep right on working his job in the patch. He was the preacher, not a priest or pastor as some see it as dispensing God or ruling the church.

So if you go looking around for someone to call, you are advised to look for someone living a stable Christian life. It will show in his family, his job, his relationship with the community, and what he does in church. You wouldn't call someone still addicted to alcohol, or who can't keep a family together, etc.

So I freely admit I pass right by when someone who doesn't meet the scriptural criteria of who the church is to call steps up and "announces" they have been called, gets the training, and then considers they have a "right" to the job.

Much the same as if I've eaten what some lady has cooked, it isn't good, then I'm not going to call her up and ask for her recipes.

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

How many of you could accept a divorced pastor who had not remarried?

If a divorced pastor's ex-wife died, he presumably would be free to re-marry.

Or would he?

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would say that it all depends on the divorce situation, for IF the Pastor was innocent, and was divorced on biblical grounds, I do not find scripture saying that automatically disqualifies him for the ministry as a pastor!

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Here's my thoughts on what I posted previously. I am not as indepth with OT as the NT...though my NT needs to be deeper too, I am sure. Look at Jacob/Israel. The 12 tribes, his 12 sons, came from 4 wives. For whatever reason, God blessed them to bring forth a large thronging of people(s). David and Solomon had many wives and concubines. So, for whatever reason, God didn't put a stop to it. Sure, each had their troubles, too....

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

It would have to be on an individual basis for me. If his wife dumped him and took another man, I'd have zero problem with him being my pastor. If he dumped his wife and took another woman, I wouldn't want to hear him preach, let alone, be my pastor.

If the unbeliever departs, let them depart. A Brother or Sister is not in bondage in such cases. I think I read this in the bible somewhere. ;)

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Cor 7:15
    But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbsup::thumbs:

9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::wavey:

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If ther wife has commited adultery, and refuses to reconcile with husband, she can divorce him, and that would not mean that he could not pastor still!

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, almost always, there are two sides to the story and I don't think that most people go having affairs for no fault of their spouse. Not saying it WAS their spouse's fault but something was amiss in the relationship and I would ask a pastor to step down for a time and spend time healing and being discipled by a few men in the congregation who are at the same level of maturity as him or above. I don't think a pastor can rightly lead a congregation when his family has been torn apart like that.

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be on a case-by-case basis. Suppose he had dumped his wife more than 10 years ago - left the pulpit - then over time got his life straight with God- I would consider such a man - even if he had re-married -

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ,any denominations and church groups require a pastor in that type of situation to tale a leave for a year of serious counciling, and to get their lives back together, but do not require them to forfeit forever call to the ministry!

14. thisnumbersdisconnected

God didn't put a stop to my two divorces and my adultery either. I'm a successful man, have more than I need, and share what I have with others. That doesn't mean God blessed my sin. He didn't bless theirs, either.