1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why I Got Vaccinated for COVID

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by rlvaughn, May 1, 2021.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "I" is not me, but the author of the article below. I thought of this when reading Stratton's thread Have/would you take the Covid vaccine?
    Why I Got Vaccinated for COVID

I wonder if some of you would read the article and give your impressions of it.

Thanks.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's your impression, first?

3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I don't mind saying, but I didn't want to skew others thoughts before they first read it -- IOW, for their first impressions to be theirs rather than mine. I thought my impression my be off.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it's a bunch of hooey.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The author's weakest reason is #7. That reason is, in my opinion, veiled appeasement. Otherwise, I have no problem with what he wrote.

Getting this vaccine, or not getting this vaccine will not affect our salvation, but it may affect our opportunity to share the gospel. Paul says "To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings." This life is not all about me. It's about being an ambassador for my King.

• Like Like x 1
  6. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. I think hooey is too kind.

This article shows a person who did not do his research. For one thing this vaccine cannot be compared with other vaccines in the past. The mRNA vaccine is a totally different animal than the vaccines of the past that conquered diseases like polio. Some have argued that it should not even be called a vaccine. The fact that it is still not FDA approved should be a red flag. Dubious media sources like CNN try to nuance this inconvenient truth by saying it is "not fully approved". Well, duh! That is like saying Custer was "not fully alive" after Little Bighorn.

It is sad that so many people do not do their own research on this. Broad spectrum research.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "12.) I got vaccinated because I believe it fits in with the real world that God made, which is not the imaginary world of conspiracy theories from InfoWars and its kidnapped children who are in slave labor on Mars, ..."

Oh good grief. Whenever a person mentions "conspiracy theories" they almost always follow it up with "If you believe X then you also believe A through Z." It is an attempt to shut down (shout down) rational examination.

8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have had both doses of vaccine (Pfizer. Mrs Marprelate had the AZ)). Some of the arguments in the article Had not occurred to me, but most of them I had considered and almost all of them I agree with.
    Around 95% of those offered the vaccine in the UK have accepted it, and the the numbers of infections, hospitalizations and deaths have fallen away to almost nothing (7 deaths yesterday) while in Europe, where the vaccine distribution and take-up are much lower, they are still getting large numbers of infections and deaths.
    I should add that neither I nor Mrs M have had any adverse symptoms except for a strange desire to bay at the moon when it is full. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Stratton7

Stratton7 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    May I ask where you’re getting your info on the infection rate, death count etc. Appreciated.

10. Stratton7

Stratton7 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    7.) I got vaccinated to defend religious liberty.

Seems counter-intuitive to “give in” in order to “defend.”

12.) I got vaccinated because I believe it fits in with the real world that God made, which is not the imaginary world of conspiracy theories

I don’t think God made this “real” world that we live in today. We created this monster by “sinning.” And I think I would like to be very careful about what comes from it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I live in the UK so my info is on the news every day. We have had an appalling number of deaths, but the stats have been falling like a stone since the vaccination programme got under way.
    Here's a website to try: COVID-19 situation update worldwide, as of week 16, updated 29 April 2021
    Scroll down to the map of the world and you will see that Britain and Portugal are considerably lower that most other European countries. Apparently Turkey is the most recent country to see its stats spike.
    The following are the figures on infections in the 14 days to April 29th.
    Turkey 786,958
    France 439,364
    Germany 287,812
    Italy 192,860
    UK 31,539

USA 856,967

#11 Martin Marprelate, May 1, 2021
    Last edited: May 1, 2021
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also seems counter-intuitive to oppose (a vaccine) in order to defend (Christianity).

People have very good reasons to be vaccinated and people have very good reasons not to be vaccinated. It is a personal decision each makes regarding their health.

Just because the author (of he article) decides to be vaccinated for the reasons he mentioned (one being to defend religious liberty) does not mean deciding not to be vaccinated is to be against those principles.

Traveling to and from work influenced my decision to purchase a particular vehicle. But that does not mean you do have to own a car to get to work.

I see the article as the author's reasons for his decision (and something to be considered), not as a defense of or reason for others to be vaccinated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Stratton7

Stratton7 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the reply.
    The recent surge over here on TV news is India. But I don’t go by the liberal media here as it’s a lot of propaganda involved and censorship. The news I do follow (Crosstalk and their websites they advocate which I can’t remember off-hand) has very different significant numbers than according to the liberal media. I’m not sure how it is in the UK news wise though.

14. Stratton7

Stratton7 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand both sides of the coin. It appeared though as you couldn’t defend religious liberty without the vaccine w/ that statement. I’ve been anti-vaccine for awhile but I’m on the fence now (which is why I created a thread about it). But I may have been a bit unintentionally bias in my comment relating to his own personal reasons for doing it.

15. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the figures in India are very large, but you have to bear in mind the huge population. I was quoting only European stats (is Turkey in Europe?).
    I don't see what governments have to gain by lying about the stats. Certainly back in January when the number of cases in Britain was through the roof, you only had to speak to a doctor or a nurse to know that the figures were true.

All Covid restrictions in the UK are supposed to be finishing on June 21st unless there's some deadly new variant. It's all looking good so far. The gov't has even done a pilot on opening night clubs (I wish they'd do one on singing in church).

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it depends on how he views (or how others precieve his motivations towards) those who hold an anti-vaccine (or anti-COVID 19 vaccine) position.

When it comes to health issues I believe to each his own. I would not appreciate anyone trying to push me into a direction I did not hold (either to get vaccinated or to refrain from vaccination). The way I see it, it's my health and my business. I think that applies to everyone.

17. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've not been vaccinated yet, but my Primary Care Physician (Who's also a Brother in Christ) indicated that it MIGHT be best to get vaccinated sometime in the near future. My personal situation is somewhat different than most because I'm essentially a shut-in due to my other unrelated physical issues (Quadruple heart bypass + complete removal of my RH thyroid gland + my right leg has had several strokes, to name just a few.) so I don't get around outside that much + the fact that my car was totaled in a fatal car accident when it was driven by my POA (Who's one of my local church's pastors.) when at about 10:30 pm. a suicide-prone middle-aged women stood out on an Interstate highway & was killed before he could do anything about stopping my car! So, I don't get out much at all, & when I do, I have to use a walker to walk around more than a few steps. I do wear a mask when I do go out to go to church, etc., but that's mainly so that I won't get this China Flu from others (A person CAN be a carrier of the China Flu even if she/he shows no physical signs of it + the fact that most of my friends have small children/grand children with them at our services. If I'm at home, I don't wear a mask unless someone comes in to visit. My Dr said it'd be best to get vaccinated due to these reasons. TN has pretty much eliminated the mandate for mask-wearing except for some minor situations where close contact with other people can't be avoided. TN isn't THE most Covid-free state & since it's a major going-through-state (3 major interstates, etc.) there's no telling who might just be travelling through. Thanks, Communist China, for being so dedicated to your program of world-wide ethnic cleansing! Where is your "Returns" window anyway? I know of some folks who'd be happy to return your Christmas gift(s) to you!! :eek::eek::eek::Frown:Frown:Mad:Mad:Mad:Sick:Sick:Sleep:Sleep:Sleep:Sleep:Sleep

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  18. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for waiting. I think there have been enough posts that mine won't skew anyone else's first impression now.

First, I will say that I do not know the author, but know some people who think highly of him. While I disagree with much of what was written, I assume he is writing with the greatest sincerity. Nevertheless, some of it doesn't come off that way to me.

After reading this, my first thought is that it is massive overkill -- sort of like the woman that my wife and I heard accidentally stabbed her husband 37 times! In writing why he took the vaccine, the author made 14 points with nearly 3500 words. That made this jump into my mind: are you trying to convince yourself you did the right thing? (That is what I thought; not necessarily what he thought.) Also seems like a lot of words trying to convince others about what is initially described as a matter of Christian liberty or conscience. Maybe he has taken a lot of heat about it in his circles and is pushing back?

I thought the whole attempt to be on the odd side.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Hackberry

Hackberry New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got vaccinated because I am old and I do not want to die of the Chinese army flu. I do understand that the risk of death to those under 55 is very small. Sadly, I am no longer in that group.

20. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The [man] doth protest too much, methinks." His argument seems to be a justification to alleviate doubt on his part on first glance. I might be wrong and certainly would never question his motive without evidence.

• Like Like x 1