1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why Reformed Christians Are Vulnerable To Social Justice

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Revmitchell, Jul 31, 2020.

1. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    At least two of the verses you gave (Heb. 13:16, Phil. 2:4) don't seem to me to be limited to believers. And well, I've already given plenty of verses about God being close to the poor and afflicted and wanting them to be helped. Or what, do you expect witnessing to people without helping them to go over well?

I never said we've gotta fix all that's wrong with the world, cuz, frick, we can't. But we are to be good stewards and take care of the world we live in as best we can. That includes making a better life for people in general.

I don't--that's an assumption you've been making.
    I simply support the welfare state and believe it's in need of improvements, as what we have is often inadequate, ineffective, or inaccessible. And as I said before--if the church can make a large-scale organization that can do what the government does or better--then hecking do it. But until then, needy people don't have too many options outside of government-funded help.

2. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Considering the first definition, how is it (allowing the poor to glean, and this being a national law) not a mandate? Or is it only not just cuz you don't want it to be
    upload_2020-8-3_0-21-55.png

3. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Several of them are about the general population, you just don't want to admit that you're wrong on that front

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you think feeding the poor is what social justice is about today then you dont understand it at all. All this talk about it is really off topic.

#104 Revmitchell, Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know. Never said it was.

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

6. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I generally agree with the article in the OP but the major reason is never pointed out because Reformed Christianity doesn't see it as a problem: amillennialism & postmillennialism.
    When you think the promised kingdom is "now" or that we must "bring in the kingdom" or "expand the kingdom", then your theology is fertile ground for worldly causes which move us away from the gospel focus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    equity in opportunity is different than equity in outcome--this may have already been said, but it still rings true. Most social justice warriors i know want equity in outcome. Equity in opportunity leans more towards Biblical Justice. For example--Supporting/protecting widows and orphans is a responsibility we should embark upon--Making sure tax payer dollars pay for their college education goes beyond biblical justice.

• Agree Agree x 1