1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why sermons?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by ChurchofChristguy, Apr 30, 2019.

1. ChurchofChristguy

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When did the idea of a half-hour sermon every week come into being? Would the assembly be OK without a sermon? Let's say each week you had a testimony or two, some scripture readings from the saints, an open prayer so that anyone with a need from the saints could come to the mic.

Regardless of denomination, we have settled in to a pretty cookie cutter assembly. A few songs, a token prayer or two, a half hour sermon, closing song, closing prayer.

Are our assemblies effective for the edification of the saints?

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus gave the Great Commission--Teach all nations; teach them to observe all things I've commanded you.

Throughout the book of Acts we see the pattern--Peter preached, Philip preached, Paul preached, Barnabas preached, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ChurchofChristguy

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Of course, but that was evangelizing. There was a lot of work to be done, because there were few believers. I am more referring to an assembly of those who have already received the Great Commission.

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Early Christian groups met in homes for testimonies, singing, and preaching. When they grew large enough, they rented halls. When they built, they usually followed the design of synagogues, including the order of the service which included reading from law, prophets, and wisdom; prayers, singing and preaching. The gentile converts simply followed that pattern.

As long as God is the focus and the gospel is preached, meet where you like and design your own service.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but I’m happy to catch a nap during the sermon.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the pastor need to be seminary trained?

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t understand your question

8. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the preacher is not preaching, some in the church may be sleeping... That being said preach the Gospel!... Don't turn the church into That's Entertainment!... Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends how it’s preached.

10. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well a woman made a comment to a preacher after his sermon, which I heard him relate... Preacher I didn't get a thing out of your sermon?... He replied well may be you didn't bring anything to get it with?

I like all types of preaching exhortation, illustration, and ones that tell stories, and throw a little humor in their preaching, types and shadows, expository, doctrinal, Sovereign Grace and even duty ( that's when the preacher stop preaching and starts meddling, or stepping on toes) as some call it... And all types of preachers... Old and long gone and new... I love to read old articles of what a preacher, preached, even though I wasn't there... All I say is Preach!... Don't give me a lecture... Make it interesting or I WILL fall asleep... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glen, I listen and read sermons by elders at the PB Church in Winter Garden Fl more then I do with guy in NJ that is a recent SBC Seminary Graduate and that concerns me. I mean, the SBC only graduates 20 a year.... don’t ya think these folks could hold your attention. BTW, Pam goes in for a hysterectomy on May 13, basically to remove the tumor Pray all will go well!

• Prayers Prayers x 2
  12. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steve I hear what you are saying... ( you know what I mean)... Just listening to one from Lithia Florida... This preacher kinda grew on me... Said he's read his Bible through, every year for 35 years... That's dedication... And can he PREACH!... You won't fall asleep on him... Send you his website if you want to check him out... Pam and I will be praying for your Pam all goes well... Glen:)

13. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Or circle the typo's in the bulletin

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish to God that I had a PB church next to me so I could join the community. The elders in Winter Garden are God inspired so the preaching is much more interesting, clearer and to the point... and everyone, including the young, stay to listen. That’s community, that’s passion, that’s the power of the Trinity coming together to disciple. You are always learning... stuff you could in turn teach others. But this SBC guy, not so much. They tend to lean on Bible Study... multiple BIble Study. One of the Elders indicated that he has to attend 4 studies and this “teaching Elder/Pastor” is in the process of planning more of them. Man, work on your sermon skills, because your putting folks to sleep.

15. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steve I see on the web there are PB Churches in New Jersey area... Have you checked on any of those?... Knowing you you probably have... Just asking... You can PM me if you want to talk about it more... Glen:)

16. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's God's arrangement.

21 For seeing that in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom knew not God, it was God`s good pleasure through the foolishness of the preaching to save them that believe. 1 Cor 1

10 For as the rain cometh down and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, and giveth seed to the sower and bread to the eater;
    11 so shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. Isa 55

Have you never been blessed from the preaching of a gifted man of God? Ever heard a sermon that makes your heart soar like a hawk?

Walk to Emmaus

• Like Like x 2
  17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just did :Thumbsup

18. ChurchofChristguy

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, I understand preaching to those that need saving. I am more referring to the weekly sermon to those that are saved. Are you saying it is a requirement by God to have a weekly sermon because it is his "arrangement"?

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have had services that ended up being testimonies or prayers from the congregation. Each time the pastor had a sermon but yeilded to what he determined to be the leading of God.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ChurchofChristguy

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good stuff. I wonder if we squelch the Holy Spirit by having everything so canned and ready-made. In the first century, the assembly seemed to be a bit more organic.

• Agree Agree x 1