1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why the Law Is Not Abolished, Yet Circumcision, Festivals, Sabbaths, Foods Are No Longer Observed

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by cgaviria, Apr 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm sorry, but that is in error and in disobedience. The churches know they are keeping the first day of the week (look at the calendar for proof). Nowhere in scripture is this allowed and it does not honor the Creator.

2. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    2Pe 3:16 as also in all his letters, speaking in them concerning these matters, in which some are hard to understand, which those who are untaught and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do also the other Scriptures.

We have several problems in understanding the verses you posted. Rom 7 is about one particular law (not the whole of it). What he is talking about is the law of divorce and remarriage. Israel was married to YHVH, israel whored with the ba'als and asherah, YHVH divorced the northern kingdom, Israel is now joined to the pagan deities and YHVH cannot take her back according to His own law (Please read Deu 24:1-5). So now when Jesus dies he becomes a new creation and we with him and can now remarry him where we could not before. (thus are dead to that law)

Ephesians: "The law of commandments contained in ordinances". This is not written law, this is oral law. That middle wall separating Jew and Gentile is their man made religion and barriers of entry.

Hebrews 7 - This is a priesthood transference to an earlier one in scripture. The priesthood at the time of Jesus was corrupt and not after the order of Zadok.

Hebrews 10 - This is talking about the priesthood, not the whole law.

3. takor

takor New Member

What does it mean to be under the New Testament? Are we in a New or Old Testament? The New Testament came in effect at Jesus' death:

" Heb 9: 15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions [that were] under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance. 16 For where a testament [is], there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.5 17 For a testament [is] of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth. 18 Whereupon neither the first [testament] was dedicated without blood.6 19 For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people,7 20 Saying, This [is] the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you. 21 Moreover he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle, and all the vessels of the ministry. 22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
    23 [It was] therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. 24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, [which are] the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us: 25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others; 26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. 27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: 28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation."

Most people are confused when referring to Jesus doing this or that while in the "New Testament", not realizing that even though they are reading in the New Testament that it itself does not come in effect till His death on the cross. All the events in the N. T. Gospels are still under the O.T. until we come to the cross, there things changed for ever. All sins, even of the OT people, are purged with the New Testament's blood of Jesus the Christ. The rest of the books in the N. T. clarify what Jesus really did. All of you folks that are trying to gain God's favor by your keeping of the Law need to realize that you will be justified by Grace through faith in the finished work or the "perfect law" of Christ.
    Another confusing subject is sanctification which many people confuse with salvation works.... but, let's keep that for another blog....

4. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So if you can't gain YHVH's favor by obeying him, do you really think you can gain it by disobeying Him?

The perfect law is torah. Grace comes in when we break it and He is merciful.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Suppose it is close to sundown on Friday as you are in a boat just west of the International Dateline, and you need to reef out your sails to lay to, so it will be any easy sabbath. If you would not be finished with the job before sundown-- the beginning of sabbath-- then can you just sail east over the dateline, so then it's Thursday, and finish this job after sundown, then sail back west so it's the sabbath again?

6. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm sure a disobedient person would pursue such an idea.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A disobedient person-- supposing that means a person who does not regard the sabbath as a required tenet [i.e., me]-- it seems to me, would not bother to cross the International Dateline just to reef out his sails. In my hypothetical situation, I said a person observant of that law [you] did just that because the you think such is required. Why do you call the person who does so "disobedient?"

8. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why disobedient? Because you would miss the whole spirit of the law and try to find loopholes to the Creator's commandments. We are to GUARD the sabbath, not wiggle around it.

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you made a distinction between the written law and the oral traditions of men. This International Dateline business is within the written law, while this "spirit of the law" you mention is the traditions of men.

10. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, what it means is the true intent and purpose and application of the law. That is not oral law in the least, nor does it contradict written law. This is one thing Yeshua did by "fulfilling" it - give a proper interpretation and application.

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So healing, carrying a pallet, harvesting and threshing grain are allowable sabbath activities?

12. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While the law is not abolished, I draw an analogy to the old draft laws we had here in the USA, and the requirement that all USA males upon reaching age 18 must register for the draft, although it's no longer in effect.

The old draft law didn't apply to me, as I enlisted in the USN 2 montha after my 18th birthday, served my term, & was honorably discharged. While the law was changed, & still "on the boox", it didn't apply to me cuz I had already met its old requirements. And it never applied to half the nation's population cuz they're female.

Another point about God's laws is that many of them were given to, and applied, to ISRAEL ONLY. And that includes the Sabbath, passover, & the other "feasts" observed by Jews. Remember, the apostles said that non-Israelis did not have to begin observing "Jewish" laws & observances.

And Jesus made it plain that HE bore the penalty in our behalf for all our sins & lawbreaking. (But that each individual must come to Him in belief & repentance & ask Him to accept and forgive oneself, which He will do, of course.)

13. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are partially correct on your statements:

1. Some laws only apply to certain people. Some are only when certain situations are in place like when there is a temple, when they are in the land, etc. But the laws that do apply to us should aways be kept such as not stealing, murdering, adultery, being homo, not eating unclean, etc.

2. The laws were indeed only given to Israel. But did you know, that the covenants were also ONLY given to Israel. Look up who the new covenant is made with.

3. Yes He bore the penalty, but that was not so we could continue in lawlessness. Repenting is turning back to obedience.

14. Charles Blair

Charles Blair New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My best bud from childhood (now with the Lord) was SDA. He and I broke the Sabbath laws lots of weekends, going to the show, etc., and his folks didn't stone him to death. Also, they didn't keep Numb. 15:37-39,and none of my SDA acquaintances do to my knowledge? (Also Deut. 23:12.)

15. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is sad if you find nothing wrong with breaking the command of YHVH. Its also sad that you don't have a septic system :(

16. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God destroyed herod's temple, the third. The church is now the temple, where God lives

1Co 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
    1Co 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
    1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

17. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Having no temple does not erase the rest of torah. It just stops you from doing those commands associated with it.

Let's examine if we have the Creator's spirit within us:

- Act_5:32 “And we are His witnesses to these matters, and so also is the Set-apart Spirit whom Elohim has given to those who obey Him.”

The requirement of receiving the spirit is to obey Him. What do we obey?

- Luk_4:4 But Yeshua answered him, saying, “It has been written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of Elohim.’

What are His words?

- Psa_119:16 I delight myself in Your laws; I do not forget Your word.

His laws are His word. Lets see if we are obeying every word:

Do you defile your human temple by bringing that which is an abomination into it? Pork, shrimp, lobster, rabbit, horse, etc? Can these be found in your temple? Do you cease all work in your temple on the 7th day of the week to honor the Creator of the universe? Do you bring in idolatry which is found in times that are not His such as xmas, easter, etc?

- 2Co_13:5 Examine yourselves whether you are in the belief – prove yourselves. Or do you not know yourselves, that Yeshua Messiah is in you, unless you are disapproved.

18. brandwein

brandwein New Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with what you are saying here. In my opinion, what you pretty much just described are the orthidox Jewish ways. Which today, is still followed.

19. Charles Blair

Charles Blair New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jason - Sorry, but you lost me on the septic system? - Charles

20. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You posted a reference to Deu 23:12 about buying your poo. A septic system does this outside of your camp already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.