1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why the SBC is no longer traditional Baptist

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by FreeBaptist, May 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    With the exceptional part, I wasn't either..... "exceptional" has more than one meaning :Sneaky .

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's the whole movement.

If one want's to take the pulse of the SBC they need to look at the resolutions. Every year they get stupider and stupider. The SBC wants to be a political machine - often at the expense of the churches it represents.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, it was not the "traditionalists" who raised the issue with Mohler (it was a set of Calvinists who did not like it that he didn't go along with MacArthur).

The SBC is full of astute sniffers.....one drop of blood in the water is all it takes.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was at the Annual Convention last year. The sermons preached were all full of it. I got sick of hearing about "dog whistles". The convention was full of calvie grearites. I have never seen so many beards at one time at the convention. I just dont think what is happening at the convention reflects the average church.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :X3I’m glad I never had anything to do with them.:Whistling

BTW, what are the benefits of belonging to SBC?

6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Elaborate please. Are you referring to Macarthurs Declaration on Social justice?
    Johnny Mac is not SBC??

#66 Reynolds, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually there are a few issues.

Insofar as the declaration Mohler seems to object to it more than its content.

Personally, I do not care either way.

My concern is more with the resolutions. They are often related more to political correctness than the gospel. If it is on the news then the SBC is addressing it in some form. Take down the rebel flag. Apologize for the racism of dead white men. Nominate a woman to be president of the SBC. The SBC is taking its lead from the world.

Insofar as a social gospel - the gospel is social in that it reaches into the social fabric of life. It is not a social gospel as it does not take its lead from socilogical issues.

• Like Like x 1
  8. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not exactly. There is no such thing as homosexual orientation, is there? And white police have been murdered because of statements such as those made by SBC leaders like Moore. And so on. Moore is a nasty guy with no heart.

#68 church mouse guy, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The cultural Marxists have overstepped the bounds of decency. No one likes them. Greear is a dumb dog.

• Like Like x 1
  10. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, I won't repeat that 14th century joke by Chaucer about clean sheep and filthy shepherds until the next time that I do.

11. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever listened to Mohler's podcast? He regularly rails against the cultural marxists movement.

Then you say, "As for the 2000 BF&M, the current crowd of Greear, Moore, and Mohler are not going to support that either.". You know Mohler was one of the guys who wrote it right?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  12. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have used this statement atleast twice on this thread. You claiming that no man is attracted to another man?

Or do you mean no one is born homosexual?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

13. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you!

That was then, this is now. Look, everyone says that Mohler is a mixed bag. He is highly intellectual and does as he pleases, apparently. Why should he listen to people with whom he disagrees? Personally, I think that Mohler wants to live the good life and so he goes to a lot of meetings where the amenities are first class. The Catholic Bishops recently held a meeting in Baltimore but as it was convened a letter was delivered from Pope Francis saying that they were not to do anything about the sexual abuse crisis in the American RCC so they went to the finest restaurants and enjoyed the good life and slept in the best hotels and some even had their boyfriends with them.

Thank you!

I mean not only that no one is born homosexual but also no one is born with an orientation towards homosexuality. I really disagree with Mohler on this one. Moore, also. Romans 1:28 (KJV) And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was a time that my family and I really enjoyed going to church on Sunday. There was a social and a spiritual side of it and that appears to have disappeared from the landscape. Churches have become liberal, nobody is biblical, in short there is no stability.

Now I looked at the SBC when hunting around for churches when my pastor died and they kept installing game show hosts as pastors Which was disappointing. But the SBC was nowhere to be found and that’s OK, after all they are Southern. But here is the point, they have now become pastors of two Reformed Churches up around me... where is this church planting I’ve always heard of and listening to all this griping about ( their management) has confirmed one thing.... to stay away, far away.

15. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whether there is homosexual orientation or not is, most decidedly, not the issue. If we live in a post-Genesis 3 world, which we do, we know that all of us are deeply affected by sin. So whether it's a pre-disposition or an "orientation," homosexuality is one of many sins we as humans commit--and whether it's an orientation or not, it is still a sin against God.

Jesus is quite clear in Matthew 15:

[18] But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. [19] For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. [20] These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone.” (Matthew 15:18–20 ESV)
    It is the heart that is the issue. And, whether the issue is murder, adultery, sexual morality, it is things that are already present in the heart as a result of sin. Therefore an "orientation" to murder or commit adultery is no different than an orientation to "do" homosexuality. While we would not accept unrepentant murderers on the basis of "orientation," we also would not accept unrepentant homosexuals (or unrepentant heterosexual sinners) on the basis of "orientation."

Secondly, while cops of all races are in the cross-hairs every day, it is not statements by Moore (or anyone else) that causes them to be hunted or targeted. Again, the reason for racially-motivated violence is sin. So, Moore is not "causing" anyone to do anything, because--as Jesus said--these things (ie. murder) come out of the heart.

As far as the "Nasty guy" thing... If Trump called me a nasty guy for being biblical and upholding a biblical gospel, I'd take it as a compliment and a sign I was doing something right.

The Archangel

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    In certain areas I've been in (vague on purpose), the church I was pastoring was the only reformed baptist church in town. Many of the other baptist churches were old-school "traditional" SBC churches and, quite bluntly, I would not be a member of those churches. My wife and I decided that, if it came to it, if we had to find a church to attend and be involved in, a PCA church we knew of would do well. While we wouldn't accept the paedo-baptism or their polity, we knew our souls would be fed by the preaching of the Gospel and good expositional preaching.

So... I feel your pain. I would strongly suggest that you keep praying and keep looking for a church to join.

Blessings,

The Archangel

17. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trump is a nice guy so maybe if you asked him to call you a nasty guy, he would. :eek::eek::eek:

Did you know that illegal aliens pick oranges? :Alien:Alien:Alien

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh I’ve found it... Wintergarden Primitive Baptist Church in Florida and you can google them if you like. I just have to move.

19. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are reasons I'm not a Primitive Baptist, but I'm glad you have a church in which you can serve others and they can care for you.

Blessings,

The Archangel

20. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you understand what "The SBC" is and how it actually works?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.