1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by percho, Jul 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
    Eph 2:9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.

You are so blinded by your hate for anything not calvinism that you will even deny scripture. What is wrong with you, are you so arrogant that you will not even trust the bible?

3. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alan there is your problem, you keep trusting in some man-made philosophy rather than just trust what the bible says.You keep pointing to some man to support your view, that may help you feel better but I really do not put much stock in his words.

As for your trust in TULIP, well I use it to point out the errors in your theology but other than that I do not care what it says. It is your crutch not mine.

"Total Depravity begins in Adam.
    There is no debate"

Gen 3:17 Then to Adam He said, "Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, 'You shall not eat of it': "Cursed is the ground for your sake; In toil you shall eat of it All the days of your life.
    Gen 3:18 Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you, And you shall eat the herb of the field.
    Gen 3:19 In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread Till you return to the ground, For out of it you were taken; For dust you are, And to dust you shall return."

What we do not see in these words is that man is totally depraved. Is man sinful, YES You have to read into scripture your version of total depravity.
    Can man seek and find God, YES Deu 4:29 Either that is true or Moses was lying when he told the Jews that they would do this when God had scattered them among the nations. We see this pointed to here also Hos 3:5.

Does man sin, YES but that does not mean that they can not hear the gospel message and believe does it? But you know all this but you just cling to your errant man-made theology.

I trust what the bible says and it says we can be saved through faith in Christ Jesus.
    Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.

You can, and most likely will, continue to deny what the scripture tells us but that is your choice. Well actually for the calvinist it is not your choice as it has all been determined what you will believe.

FYI what you call Arminianism is just bible believing.

4. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you do not understand the bible do you.

5. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have the bible, thanks anyway.

7. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you should spend more time studying the bible rather than all these ideas of men.

8. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a strawman.
    You made a baseless comment and a non-biblical statement. It has nothing to do with what the Bible actually says. Therefore, your false statement does not equate to me not understanding the Bible. It does equate to you stating a false doctrine, not supported by the Bible. Get your facts straight, Silverhair. You have made some whopper errors in your comments, in which I have directly quoted your non-biblical assertions.

9. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Collosians 1:
    9 For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding,

10 so that you may walk in a manner worthy of the Lord and may please Him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God,

11being strengthened with all power according to His glorious might so that you may have full endurance and patience, and joyfully 12giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified youc to share in the inheritance of the saints in the light.13He has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of His beloved Son, 14in whom we have redemption,d the forgiveness of sins.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So why did you believe and someone else did not? Were you smarter? Luckier?

Ephesians 2:8 teaches that faith, as well as repentance, is a gift of God. Also, see:

Acts 16:14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.

Philippians 1:29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

Acts of the Apostles 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life. (emphasis mine)

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me remind you what YOU, Silverhair, wrote:
    "When man meets the God given requirement for salvation then God saves them."

I highlighted the verse you quoted when it says "not of works."

Contrast what the Bible says ( not of works) with what you say (man meets the God given requirement for salvation).

Look at verse 8 (by grace you have been saved) and contrast that with your statement (man meets the God given requirement for salvation).

Silverhair, anyone can read what the Bible says and then see what you have said. Your interpretation is horrible and false. The Bible does not say what you claim. This is demonstrable in that I just showed it to you.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    So now you are calling scripture non-biblical.

13. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is an old and very tired question. Just shows how desperate you have become. You work way to hard to deny the bible, why do you not just trust in what it says rather than what you want it to say.

14. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have so little understanding of scripture that you do not know that faith is not a work?
    Rom_4:5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness,

Yes you should look at Eph 2:8-9.
    Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
    Eph 2:9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.

The contrast is right there but you fail to see it because it does not fit your theology.

What is really sad is that you have fooled others into believing what you post. It seems that there more than just you that have a real problem reading the text of the bible.

15. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    James 2:10
    King James Version

10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

16. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your reading skills are awful. I'm saying your assertion is non-biblical.
    You wrote:

You teach salvation by human merit.

17. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist

18. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am very aware that faith is not a work. Faith is a gift, authored by and finished by Jesus. (Hebrews 12:2)

I am also aware that you are teaching salvation by human merit.
    You wrote:

19. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.