1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will we have to rethink the age of the universe?

Discussion in 'Creation vs. Evolution' started by rockytopva, May 21, 2017.

1. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Will we have to rethink the age of the universe? "Hubble Reveals Observable Universe Contains 10 Times More Galaxies Than Previously Thought"

Hubble Finds 10 Times More Galaxies Than Thought

Even the big bang theory is up for debate!

Where is the centre of the universe?

If the universe contains 10 times more galaxies than originally thought then the 15 billion year theory goes out the window, it would be much older than that!

2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If one cares to contend with the rats running around outside, they can go tour the Louvre. The miles of scientific work, that have all been proven completely wrong, will change your view of science.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't understand this comment at all.

Science is always tentative, being reshaped and growing. Why would mistaken or incomplete scientific views change my view of science?

4. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is that many take weak scientific theories and try to turn them into absolute facts. When we as Christians do not adhere to their "facts" then we are treated as idiots.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well that's a people problem, not a science problem. People who don't understand science shouldn't condemn people who do. (That cuts both directions.)

I've had that conversation a few times. I simply point out that science can't explain many things we experience every day. Most importantly, science cannot explain the "why" questions - the big questions of life.

6. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My problem is with the scientific experts. Global warming being a prime current example

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what is your problem with Global Warming? That it exists or the cause of it?

8. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe we have climate change. Is it warming or cooling? Is is natural cycle? Is it related to the sun? Is it fossil fuel? We do not yet have enough evidence to know, but according to the Democrats, the media, and most scientists, its definitely fossil fuel. Truth is that the scientific evidence is still inconclusive.

9. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The real problem is: the pseudo scientists are in control of the scientific information which is promulgated in the education system. The evolutionary bias seriously skews the data, interpretation of the data, and invalidates any conclusions.

Man still loves to worship the creation. He also abhors the idea that there might be a supernatural being to whom he must give an account. AKA: The Creator.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So do I.

Warming.

Probably, yes. History seems to indicate so.

Probably, yes. The sun goes through an 1100 year sunspot cycle. We are approaching the peak of that cycle (actual peak will by c2070).

Probably not. Human kind only produces about 6% of green house gases. The rest is produced by nature.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The James Webb Space Telescope, also called Webb or JWST, is a large, space-based observatory, optimized for infrared wavelengths, which will complement and extend the discoveries of the Hubble Space Telescope. It launches in 2018.

It will be interesting to see what this telescope sees when it focuses in on the darkness of space!

Hubble Space Telescope's replacement arrives at NASA’s Johnson Space Center

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. theearstohear

theearstohear New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fundamental precept that most professing Christians seem to overlook is that creation is a SUPERNATURAL event. It follows that the domain of pure naturalism (science) is too small to account for the motions and effects of a supernatural event. It should come as no surprise to any Christian that God, who is omniscient is capable of bringing to pass a miraculous creation in six literal days, is not confined by the rules of natural science in his act of creating the world, even though we believe those rules would require billions of years to accomplish the same work.

At issue here is whether we believe that God is GOD or merely god. Does his dominion and power supercede the so-called laws of nature that seem to control "normal" events or are his hands tied by the natural laws he himself created? Most Christians have been so liberally marinated in "pure naturalism" that they don't even realize that their faith is based entirely on supernaturalism. If one intends to apply the laws of pure naturalism to the Christian religion, they not only eliminate the literal six day creation, they wipe out the virgin birth and the resurrection of Christ as well. Simply put, those who refuse to embrace the supernatural are not Christians in any meaningful sense, because pure naturalism undermines the core doctrines of the Christian faith.

TETH

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Calv1

Calv1 Active Member

Yeah we need to rethink the age, it's much younger than most assume. SCIENCE has proven there is no way we could have been here more than 20,000 years. We've been here about 6,000 years. I can go through all of the reasons if you like, IE the magnetic field gets weaker every day, if we went back just 50,000 years we'd all be crushed. The moon is constantly moving away from the earth 2 ft each year, do the math if we were here as long as they say, the moon would touch the earth, it's impossible, all the evidence points to a young earth.

First Carbon 14 dating is only good up to 1000 years give or take. Second, we had a fall, that is the earth was glorious, gems became rocks, glorious trees into what we see today, so it's no wonder we should see rapid decay. As to what you wrote I see how that has no bearing on anything, there are many great Astronomers who believe in a young earth, but you say "It would take billions of years for us to see the light", but you forget God said "Let there be LIGHTS in the sky", sorry folks He doesn't have to wait for light to travel, it simply appeared in creation.

There is much we don't know, but I'm POSITIVE every word of scripture is the literal word of God, look at the scientific facts the bible gave us 3000 years before man discovered it, 1. That light creates wind 2. There are fountains in the deep 3. Microbiology, if you touch a dead or sick person, wash your hands in running water. 4. The earth is round 5. The earth hangs on nothing. 6. Life is in the blood (Washington died of a bleeding), Christians Atheists aren't confused people, they are Christ haters "If you are not for me you are actually against me", they aren't looking for truth, they are trying to destroy your faith, their father is the devil. They KNOW GOD EXISTS, but they suppress Him (Romans 1), so just don't pay any attention. I've debated these guys for two decades, if you have any questions please feel free.

PS: Look at Bart Erhman, goes around saying we don't have a clue what scripture actually said, but in "Misquting Jesus", his scholarly expertise told the truth "What we have today is close (Very close), ,to the original, and variants do not affect any thought or theology". He won't say that in a PBS interview of course, watch White destroy him, best debate. By the way his book "Misquoting Jesus" has 3 million variants first publication, 2 errors, 1.5 million books, it's a joke, the Devil is alive and well, and if you don't believe that you've already lost

14. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think what these pseudo scientist need is a Job experience... If they had a personal visit from The Creator God they ignore they would probably soil themselves... Brother Glen:D

Job 38:1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,

38:2 Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?

38:3 Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.

38:4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Will we have to rethink the age of the universe?

No.

16. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Just to clarify that if you read the paper, these additional galaxies were not directly observed by Hubble but are based on data from Hubble that allowed researchers to modify their estimations for how many galaxies are in any given area of space to what is hopefully a more accurate model to make that calculation.

The number of galaxies doesn't really have much to do with our current estimates for the age of the universe which is calculated based on something called cosmic background radiation which is like a measurement for the temperature of the universe.

The Big Bang Theory does not depend on our estimates for the number of galaxies in the universe. It is more the other way around. Our estimates for the number of galaxies depends on our current models of the Big Bang Theory.

17. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe in theistic evolution and the Big Bang Theory.

I believe God created us and the universe intimately and purposefully in a way that was very good, creating us in his image as beautifully described in Genesis, the first book in his inspired, pure, perfect, breathed word to mankind. I believe in a literal virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ and all the supernatural miracles of the bible.

I believe that God could definitely have created all of this in six 24 hour periods if he had chosen to do so and maybe he did. But all the evidence in his creation suggests otherwise according to our best current ability to interpret that evidence. Does that interpretation change as new evidence comes to light? Absolutely because that is how scientific interpretation works. Does that mean the bible is wrong? Of course not. Just our interpretation of 1 and maybe 2 chapters in Genesis.

Just like the heliocentric model of the solar system did not mean the bible was wrong. Just our interpretation of a few verses in the bible.

I understand many other Christians believe differently from me on this topic including my wife, family members and other church members. That is fine since this is something that many well meaning intelligent Christians can disagree about and still work together to further his kingdom. All I ask is that you do not misrepresent what we actually believe. All you have to do is ask.

#17 Gold Dragon, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  18. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If E = mc2 then we can divide and conclude that...

Mass (m) = Energy (E/c2)

And there are three varieties...

Natural E/c2 - All mass is basically cooled plasma
    Mental E/c2 - Our brains output is a result of E/c2
    Spiritual E/c2 - E (motivation, love) / c2 (faith, hope, charity, joy)

The bible calls God the Father, "The Father of Lights." I can imagine that God can dissociate mass into plasma and re-associate it to mass to his liking. And it is about ready to happen again...

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. - 2 Peter 3:10

I am thinking that billions of years took place between the place where God said, "Let there be light!" Disassociating the formless mass into plasma, and to the place where God divided the light and the darkness by putting the earth in orbit around the sun.

19. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ummm... I'm not sure what to say to this.

I want to encourage you to keep looking into God's specific revelation of Scripture and his general revelation of Creation with the goal of giving glory to God in all things. We have limitations to what we can know in both revelations because we are bound in time, space, culture and language, but we should always continue prayerfully seeking to understand him better.

20. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    IMO ~ that sort of puts you on the fence post between two opposites.
    FYI ~ According to Scripture ~ there is no fence post. There is ONLY standing with or standing without God.

Excellent ~ revealing a Standing with God.

Perplexing ~ revealing you just challenged your own statement of faith.

Evidence of mankind? (whom we KNOW is limited in KNOWLEDGE) supersedes God (who is ALL KNOWING) ?

Intelligent? By what standard?

Of course they do ~ But do you know WHY?