1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Woman senior pastor

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by agedman, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    With the improper use of words, the words eventually become meaningless. "Liberal" is one of those words. Today the word "liberal" means "anyone who disagrees with me."

But the actual meaning of the word, in theological context, is to accept the teachings of Theological Modernism.

The church I presently attend is affiliated with the BGCT, the oldest Baptist Convention in Texas.

When the split occurred in 1998 our church decided to stay with the BGCT. The issue we thought was important was the proposed change in the 2000 BFM that removed the assertion that the person of Jesus Christ was to be the exegetical standard by which the Bible was to be interpreted.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's WACO! :Biggrin

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a female cousin who I love and admire very much, who is a Methodist "pastor". So it makes me sad to say that I would have to disavow any church that has a female pastor and that if you scratch beyond the surface of a church with a female pastor, you'll find all sorts of doctrinal issues.

If it is a Baptist church, then counselling is in order and, failing that, removal from the local association of churches.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe it is our place to publicly rebuke other churches. The association should reject as members any church that fails to adhere to the doctrines that they have set forth (or change those requirements). Individual churches should preach and teach their own congregations.

So....at an association level (my association) the church would be appropriately rejected. This does not mean that our local church would refuse to help the church if it is in need.

5. Vizio

Vizio Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe we ought to be happy it's not a pair of lesbian women.

6. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't know why God wanted only men to be pastors, but I have a feeling, if He allowed women pastors, men would rarely step up.

Speaking out against false doctrine is very unpopular these days, but maybe it's time to reconsider. The Church in America is shrinking at catastrophic rates. 2 out of 3 to 4 out of 5 kids are leaving the Church (depending on which statistic you look at).

I think it has to do with the modern Church abandoning biblical authority. We see this in the Genesis debate, the cessation debate and the pastoral gender debate.

And I don't know if a public rebuke would be in order, but speaking up? I think we need to, if for no other reason, to distinguish biblical Churches from other Churches.

7. Calv1

Calv1 Active Member

Yes, all of above. It violates the recipe the bible set up for the Churches.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's because if women were pastors men would never get to talk.

9. PrmtvBptst1832

PrmtvBptst1832 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder where this church found the office of senior pastor in scripture. I read about elders, bishops, deacons, etc., but never "senior pastor." I guess if we're not going to model the church as it is described in scripture, and that includes the offices enumerated therein, it does not really matter who holds it. They should be rebuked, and none should have fellowship with them who adhere to scripture. Furthermore, I do not find any associations or conventions in scripture either......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. scanner

scanner New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife..." 1 Tim. 3:2a
    "For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee:
    If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly." Titus 1:5&6

Local churches have ordained all manner of reprobates over the years. I suppose that someone from the isle of Lesbos might consider herself to be a 'he' or an 'it' and achieve husbandhood. All hail the she-bishop, Pastor Pat!

Reality has limits and stupidity does not.

I hope some bible-thumper goes and thumps the she-bishop on her 'butch hair cut."

11. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as I know, the church has not claimed that their previous or current pastors were/are "senior pastors." As I recall, they simply refer to the pastor of the congregation as the pastor.

"Senior pastor" seems to be the designation given by their critics or supporters in order to point out that a woman is in what many mistakenly believe is a role of power (the person "in charge"). If we want to be New Testament about it, then we would recognize that a pastor (aka "elder" or "bishop") is the servant of all of the believers, who leads by the inherent authority of his or her walk with Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit manifested in his or her life through the witness of preaching and ministry.

12. SheepWhisperer

SheepWhisperer Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've heard Pentecostals refer to "Deborah" and the "daughters" who "prophesied" to justify themselves in this. But the Bible clearly says that "elders" (plural) were to "rule" a church. I know that won't set well with some but it's what the Bible says. It also says that women are not to teach men. I say, leave them to themselves and revoke association. As far as "rebuking" goes I suppose you could give the "pastor" the first and second admonition (Titus 3:10)

13. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless you have very different view about what is "butch", you have simply assumed that the new pastor is a lesbian, has a "butch hair cut," and needs to be beaten.

I can understand disagreeing with the church's decision, but I don't understand your assumptions and venom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mississippi John

My Church ordains Women because we baptize girls.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. PrmtvBptst1832

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is part of the problem. The distinct roles God has ordained for men and woman are not being maintained in the church or the home.

16. PrmtvBptst1832

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like your definition of authority as it pertains to an elder. It definitely is an inherent authority of his following Christ and the power of the Holy Ghost. However, it is a position of authority nonetheless.
    But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. -1 Tim. 2.12

I fail to see the consistency, though, in Baptist churches who object to women being elders on verses such as this, but ask "Sister So-And-So" to stand up and "testify," whatever that means.

And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. -1 Co. 14.35

According to Paul, women are not even to ask questions in the coming together of the whole church into one place. Women no longer see the necessity of having long hair or covering their head. Women elders are just the natural result of the casting away of the authority God has ordained.

17. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We can him and haw all we want to on this subject and I have never seen this problem in the church I grew up in... In fact if it occurred in our church it would cease to be church and fellowship would have been withdrawn and the dissenters could start their own church... How can a woman bishop be the husband of one wife?... God is not the author of confusion... I could go into it more but I agree with what PrmtvBptst1832 said in post#29 and this one... Scripture couldn't be any plainer... Brother Glen

1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. PrmtvBptst1832

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was a qualification because it was taken for granted that a bishop would be a man.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

Yes.

20. JB_Reformed Baptist

JB_Reformed Baptist New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JB: No surprise there.

Thread Status: