1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Woman tells newspaper Roy Moore groped her when she was 14; other women make similar claims

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I wouldn't. If there are only two choices find the one that will do the least damage overall. We're not electing pastors, we're electing governing officials. If one is for legalized abortion and the other for the legalized killing of everyone (to use a ridiculous hypothetical) I vote for the one doing the least damage. Virtually all issues in politics are moral and can have damaging effects. We have to be diligent even if we don't get our ideal candidate.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Calminian

Site Supporter

Try this one. "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is." You are parsing like crazy. Your statement was wrong as stated.

#222 Calminian, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Whether we are electing pastors, elders, secretaries or government representatives does not determine whether or not we follow God's moral code. I would rethink that one and talk it over with God.

4. Calminian

Site Supporter

And there is nothing in God's moral code about passively allowing evil to happen. In fact God speaks directly to immoral passivity.

James 4:17 Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.
    You may not be able to stop every murder or injustice, but if you can stop some and refuse, you've violated God's moral code.

5. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I mentioned this before. What if every professing Christian in the country told the candidates pro abortion is out, there will be no Christians voting for any pro abortion candidates, watch how fast candidates start advertising they are pro life and watch how many pro abortion candidates get defeated. What is it like 80% of the country "say" they are Christian?

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only that, but the position of the county clerk has no bearing on abortion policy, can effect no change in it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Doesn't sound like a rebuttal to me. I agree. So why would anyone vote for a pro-abortion candidate?

8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Maybe that was his veiled point. ;)

9. Calminian

Site Supporter

I think this would be great, if it could be done. The problem is, very few professing Christians are pro-life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why is this? It makes no sense at all to me. Is it a lack of preaching and teaching? Is it greed placing money benefits above some poor baby getting ripped apart in the womb? I don't think it is the preaching really. I had a pastor once who preached pro-life and still half the members (at least) voted democrat. I don't think they care and I don't get that. They care more about the hand out they can get from other tax payers. It's sad.

11. Calminian

Site Supporter

When you find the answer please share. Of course most professing Christians are likely not Christians at all, but I do believe there is a large block of true believers that vote pro-choice. I would have to lay this at the feet of the modern Church leadership. Many are too passive on these issues, for fear of controversy. I had one prominent pastor in my town tell his congregation never to talk about political issues for fear of causing a democrat not to want to visit. I even bought into it for a second, but later came to believe it was a mistake.

• Like Like x 1
  12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Church members can discuss politics, but politics should never be part of a worship service. I know some don't agree with that, but that is my position regardless of whether the membership leans Democratic or Republican.

There are no politics in Heaven.

13. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.