1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Women "Co-teaching" adult S.S.

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Reynolds, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adult Sunday School for married couples being "co-taught" by a husband and wife? Right or wrong?
    Our church recently started this. I believe its the final straw that will send me packing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    W.A. Criswell (1973):

"His wife...teaches a couples' Sunday-school class at the church"

Mrs. Criswell's 2006 obituary in SBC organ Baptist Press:

"Betty Criswell came to Dallas in 1944 when her husband became First Baptist’s pastor. W.A. Criswell, a key figure in the SBC’s conservative resurgence and its emphasis on biblical inerrancy, was named pastor emeritus in 1994; he died in 2002 at the age of 92."

"Betty Criswell, who led her 9:30 a.m. Sunday School class in studies throughout the books of the Old and New Testament, last taught on July 9....a Sunday school class attended by 200 to 300 people and broadcast on radio throughout the region"

3. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does that reconcile with Paul's explicit prohibition of women teaching men in church?
    Unless its its lesbian couples, that would be a woman teaching a man.

#3 Reynolds, Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  4. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, no one here has a problem with women teaching adult men in Sunday School? I think John Macarthur deals with the subject pretty well in his series of comments and teachings defending himself from the criticism leveled to him regarding his admonishment of Beth Moore.

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No problem for me as long as she does not usurp the recognized male authority of the local church.
    For me, that's the bottom line, so yes with that fiat let her teach me, If i don't like it I'll stop listening.

Have women missionaries given reports, local church clerks, secretaries at your church?

I have been to prayer meetings where some of the ladies' prayers were mini-sermons, yes?

#5 HankD, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  6. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But is it permissible under the Prohibition set by Paul? I have seen just about everything imaginable in Church, but having seen it done does not make it right.
    1 Tim 2

As Macarthur points out, in the Greek text Pauls command was obviously both universal and continual.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a fan of MacArthur and believe he is wrong in this matter and a few others - it seems to me to be neither universal or continuing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John MacArthur's beloved grandfather Harry MacArthur and his congregation sat under the teaching of evangelist Christabel Pankhurst.
    Nearly a century ago!

harry macarthur 01 - Copy.jpg

harry macarthur 02 - Copy.jpg

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wouldn't she be allowed to assist, by being under his male headship? Could not if was single?

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    irrelevant, that was then this is now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My grandfather ran moonshine.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is he wrong? I know just enough about Greek to get into trouble. I cede to the experts. He quite expert in Greek. He says the structure is plainly universal and continuing. If he is wrong, I would like scholarship on how he is.

13. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She would still be teaching men. That would be the same as having a woman pastor fill the pulpit but technically be under the headship of a senior pastor.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    if the NT is chiseled in iron then why have tongues gone away?

Just a test question.

15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Calvin, in his Institutes, IV.10.29-30:

"the hours set apart for public prayer, sermon, and solemn services; during sermon, quiet and silence, fixed places, singing of hymns, days set apart for the celebration of the Lord’s Supper, the prohibition of Paul against women teaching in the Church, and such like....things of this nature are not necessary to salvation, and, for the edification of the Church, should be accommodated to the varying circumstances of each age and nation, it will be proper, as the interest of the Church may require, to change and abrogate the old, as well as to introduce new forms. I confess, indeed, that we are not to innovate rashly or incessantly, or for trivial causes. Charity is the best judge of what tends to hurt or to edify: if we allow her to be guide, all things will be safe....these are not fixed and perpetual obligations to which we are astricted....in those matters the custom and institutions of the country...declare what is to be done or avoided." —John Calvin

• Like Like x 1
  16. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although Christabel was better known as leader of the women's suffrage movement in England (including going to prison and going on a hunger strike, in addition to smashing windows in posh areas of London), she moved to the United States and became a Darbyite/Adventist. Maybe that's where the MacArthurs picked up their eschatology.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They have not. I see no defensible case that they have.
    So, we can change the Word of God and the command of God breathed to man through the Holy Spirit whenever convenient.

18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are quoting a man who believed in and heavily advocated for infant Baptism. I guess you could let the women teachers and pastors baptize the infants. John Calvin also liked getting his buzz from his beer.

#18 Reynolds, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  19. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles Spurgeon, 'Romans but Not Romanists'

[Romans 16:3]

"Note in the third verse that the apostle says, 'Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus'. Here you have a household....a wife and a husband united in sincere devotion."

"This couple appear to have been advanced Christians, for they became instructors of others; and not merely teachers of the ignorant, but teachers of those who already knew much of the gospel, for they instructed young Apollos, an eloquent man and mighty in the Scriptures. They taught him the way of God more perfectly, and therefore we may be sure were deep-taught Christians themselves."

"Paul in this case wrote 'Priscilla and Aquila', thus placing the wife first...I should not wonder but he put them in order according to quality rather than according to the rule of sex. He named Priscilla first because she was first in energy of character and attainments in grace. There is a precedence which, in Christ, is due to the woman when she becomes the leader in devotion, and manifests the stronger mind in the things of God. It is well when nature and grace both authorise our saying 'Aquila and Priscilla', but it is not amiss when grace outruns nature and we hear of 'Priscilla and Aquila'."

20. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is Aquila teaching men in church?