1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Women "Co-teaching" adult S.S.

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Reynolds, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does error 100 years ago justify error today? The question is right or wrong, not how long its been done.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WHICH POST # ?

3. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The one quoted with your name on it.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    HankD, Capitol Hill Baptist Church does 'small groups' now, for an explanation, the website directs to the following article written by its then Associate Pastor. Bolded is the part relevant to the taboo expressed in the OP, leadership qualifications follow:

9Marks • Small Groups at Capitol Hill Baptist Church

"HOW ARE SMALL GROUPS STRUCTURED?
    With the exception of groups based on gender or devoted to couples in their first two years of marriage, all our groups are open to anyone. We recognize the benefits single-sex groups can have in facilitating a healthy vulnerability and accountability, especially for the large number of singles in our church. And young married groups led by older married couples can be used to help newlyweds put their marriage on good biblical ground. But beyond that, we are hesitant to particularize much further, since we want our church members to understand—as we continually remind them!—that one of the gospel’s first implications in our lives is learning to love people who are not like us."

"Groups generally have a leader and co-leader....We expect the following of small group leaders

• They must be members in good standing;
    • regularly attend both Sunday services....It’s hard to stay up on the life of our church without being at both, and we do not want to hold up people as leaders and models who are unable or unwilling to make this a priority;
    • be prepared to study and prepare content coordinated and approved by a pastor;
    • communicate regularly with the church office about pastoral issues;
    • be willing to create an open culture, and accept new members;
    • generally care for the group;
    • facilitate discipling relationships;
    • attend quarterly training events."

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ONE MORE TIME:

1 Corinthians 14
    34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
    35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

In order to be strictly obedient to the word according to this passage a woman CANNOT say a word once she enters into a "church-ecclesial" function.

No socializing with talking.
    no audible prayer.
    no teaching of children or other women.
    no talking at business meetings.
    no missions reports.

NOT A PEEP EVER! "for it is a shame for women to speak in the church"

and the worst - NO POTLUCKS :eek:

#105 HankD, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    oh OK. #94 was not a question but a statement of fact.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to 1 Corinthians 14:34-35, Small groups, technically speaking, should not be allowed as they are extensions of the local churches.

further - small groups often discuss the pastor's Sunday sermon and if a female participant disagrees with the sermon or any part thereof she MUST BE QUIET so as to avoid the appearance of usurping the pastor.

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen.

Grace to You

John MacArthur: "I was born into a pastor’s home. My father was the son of a pastor....my dad was...an earnest, relentless, skilled, and thoughtful defender of the Bible."

"My father took his stand in the liberal-fundamentalist conflict....My dad was bold and relentless, always with grace, to defend the Bible as inspired by God in total....he was never divided in his loyalty to the true doctrine of Scripture."

9. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I responded to it with a question.

10. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, I am surprised by this discussion. My posts #88 and #89 show Reynolds has a real scriptural objection. An objection that must be answered.

I will repeat my observations based on the Word.

If that woman teaching Reynolds is under the authority of her husband, lacks any authority over men, and teaches men in a more private setting than a public assembly (this will be debatable), I personally would stay. If she does not understand what it is to be under the authority of her husband, if she has authority over men, or if she teaches men in a public church assembly, I would personally leave.

BTW Brother Reynolds, I am very sorry you have to go through this. I lost a church due to liberalizing doctrine 2 years ago, and only settled into a good one recently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. I feel just as you did. Losing the church to liberalization and pragmatism.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  12. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll pray you find a church. I have friends on another board who recommended my current church. I could ask them for a recommendation if I knew where you live.