1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women in politics/leadership roles

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gina B, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Does anyone on here have a problem with childless women taking on any of these roles? If so, how do you get around the biblical example of Deborah?
    Gina

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I don't have a problem with a woman, childless or not, taking on these roles. Deborah is a good example.

3. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Regardless of my personal position, why would Deborah have anything to do with it? Alot of stuff went on during God's dealing with Israel that we would not do today.

I think that is a poor example.

4. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Deborah, Priscilla, Phoebe et al should pose real problems to those who think that women should walk two paces behind thier man, not speak unless spoken to and should never excercise any authority over men. However, it seems that sections of scripture that deal with them are not inspired and are easy to dismiss.

but yet we will pull up, and take out of context OT scripture that deals with cross dressing in our discussions on swimwear!

5. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

god can do as he pleases, but we need to do what we're told.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Funny, when I make that statement about the Fourth Commentment, I'm reminded that we're not subject to the Law.

7. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

I don't have a problem at all, and I would even vote for a qualified woman president. (Not Hillary, because the operative word is "qualified." Condi Rice, anyone?)

SEC

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I would have voted for Elizabeth Dole, had she survived the primaries.

9. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Titus 2:5 [To be] discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

Women are not to be in leadership authority over the man. I am not able to support that that is contrary to God's Word.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Funny how "keeper at home" gets perverted into "stay out of politics. Last time I checked, women were inhierently ordained to be in a position of authority, by virtue of being mothers.

I've love to see your reaction if you ever get pulled over by a female police officer.

11. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

Condi Rice for President 2008!!!! [​IMG]

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. I'm a slow learner. Is MY WIFE (the doctor) sinning here? She is
    discreet
    chaste
    good keeper of the home
    obedient to her husband

(1) Where exactly does Scripture say she should not be in leadership?

(2) Where exactly is her active role IN ADDITION to this against God's Word?

(3) Where exactly does the Prov 31 woman fit in? She made merchandise, had a whole staff working for her, etc etc

When you can show me SCRIPTURES instead of sucking ideas out of the latest issue of Sword of the Lord, let me know.

13. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Your wife's a Dr.?

So, would that make her Dr. Mrs. Dr. Bob? ;)

BTW, my mother, even though I am grown, still holds a lot of sway over me. Perhaps you could call her my boss; she sure thinks she is anyway. :eek:

14. Brett

Brett New Member

Your wife's a Dr.?

So, would that make her Dr. Mrs. Dr. Bob? ;)

</font>[/QUOTE]Hehe, nice one. [​IMG]

I too don't understand how "keepers at home" translates into never having authority.

15. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Jailminister, I don't understand. How does God set the precedent with Deborah and then it isn't supposed to be followed? Nowhere in the bible have I seen him say "this is an exception to what I expect of women", or anything that would imply such.
    Did God's laws for women and their role in life change in the bible? When? Where? :confused:
    Gina

16. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Gina, what makes you think God was setting the prescedent? How do you know it wasn't a judgment upon the men of Israel for being cowardly?

17. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

How do you know that other times weren't a judgment on women for the same reason?
    There were many instances in the bible where men were unwilling or afraid. God didn't use a woman because he was out of options in those situations, he changed the hearts of the people he WANTED to use. Look at what lengths he went through to do this with Jonah.
    So...it doesn't seem to go along with the nature of God to use women in place of men when men are unwilling.
    Also, what kind of judgment is that, sending someone to bring them victory and back into God's favor? I fail to see how that was a judgement agaist them.
    Gina

18. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Gina, I am not trying to argue this.

I vaguely remember a passage in Isaiah where it seems to hint at a people who are under judgment because they are ruled by women and children. I will have to find it to see how accurate I am.

The judgment was that God used Deborah to demonstrate the spineless qualities of the men.

Btw, why would a victory in battle necessarily prove God's favor?

19. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Their victory under Deborah was miraculous. Maybe you're not familiar with it? Go read. [​IMG] (hey, I wasn't familiar with hardly anything except hte story of Joseph and Daniel and Noah until two years ago, and that was only what I remembered from Sunday School stories!)
    I'm not arguing with you either, just asking you to show a good reason why you aren't agreeing with what I said. :D
    Gina

20. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

If men do not assume authority over their women, why is it a "usurp" problem? Men would then be the ones who were the wusses and need to get a grip.