World Cup 2006

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Jun 8, 2006.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

If Italy draw they will be on five points, if we lose to Ghana Ghana will be on six points and will top the group. Italy must play for a win because they will not want to finish second and face Brasil in the next round. Ghana and the Czech Republic win they will both advance on six points if they both win.

The matches are played at the same time, so teams cannot plan their strategy around the rest of the table.

You will want two TVs for this one - everyone has to play for a win to have a chance of qualifying in the best position. Should be some exciting football.

2. AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I stand corrected. I assumed that the US would win vs Ghana, but there is no guarantee there either. Playing both games at the same time may trigger a tad of scoreboard watching. We play on ESPN while the other game is on ESPN2.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Ghana looked amazing today against the Czechs - I am more worried about them than I was about Italy.

I don't know where today's US team was Monday night, but if they had showed up it would be a whole different story now.

4. Love of Christ New Member

team USA has to score a lot of goals for the next games, if they want to be sure to pass the first round !

5. 4His_glory New Member

I agree on the goal, is should have never been disallowed. Just like the last World Cup in quarter final against Germany. Oh well. some times you get bad breaks like that.

I think that the US can beat Ghana (that will be a great game!) and I think that Italy will beat the Czechs. Go USA!!!

6. 4His_glory New Member

Here is hoping that the Socceroos will upset Brazil tomorrow. They looked great in their win over Japan. If Ghana can beat the Czechs, surely the Aussies can down the Brazilians.

7. PastorSBC1303 Active Member

So even tho the USA has yet to win a game, they still have a shot to move on?

8. NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

All that has to happen for the US to advance is for them to beat Ghana and for Italy to beat the Czechs. If that happens Italy got through on top with 7 points and the US go through second on four points.

9. 4His_glory New Member

Right but it is still a longshot. Even if the US wins and Italy loses, they will not advance. It has to happen just like Roger said.

10. Love of Christ New Member

If Italy loses, USA has to win by 6 goals.
    If Italy wins, USA has to win whatever the score.
    It it's a draw, USA has to win by 5 goals.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

The US are not going to beat Ghana by 5-6 goals.

Italy wins, US wins in the only possible, realistic result for us to go through.

12. 4His_glory New Member

The France/Korea game today was boring, a 1-1 tie. But it should have been a French win since they were robbed of a clear goal.

Brazil is going to have to start playing better if they want to defend their title. Though they beat the Aussies today, I thought that they did not play particularly well.

13. Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Australia lost to Bazil... no great surprise, but not an embarasment, many other teams have been beaten more than 2-0.

Still have a decent chance of making the next round..

14. 4His_glory New Member

I agree. Australia did themselfs proud, several shots game close to tying it when it was still 1-0. I think Brazil is going to have to start doing better because sooner or later somebody is going to beat them, and I think it will be sooner- perhaps the next round.

15. 4His_glory New Member

England drew 2-2 with Sweden today. England has not beaten Sweden since 1968.

The Lions really are going to have play better if they want to keep advancing. Fortunatly for them they are now in the group of 16 and get to play Ecuador in their first stage of knockout play.

16. Ulsterman New Member

First half good, second half bad. Joe Cole scored a goal worthy of the world stage. I think England need more threatening fire power up front. Sorry, but at times Crouch couldn't hit a barn door even if he he was standing in front of it. Rooney was substandard and Sven was right to replace him. Maybe he is going to have to play Theo Walcott. The defence need to get their act together too. I think English soccer pundits talk as though England have a Divine right to win this competition. I think they may find out, yet again, that 1966 sentiment will not cut it in 2006.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Ecuador could be tough. I enjoyed the game last night, even though a times it lapsed into a state of brilliant dullness.

England v. Ecuador
    Sweden v. Germany

Could be interesting

18. west virginia New Member

WV on line

I think England has a real shot at this thing. But Brazil is still the team to beat. Go USA

By the way "hey" to 4 His Glory". Been praying for you.

19. NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Tonight is a chance of a classic match - Argentina v Holland.

We'll have to pray quick tonight to see the start of this one ;)

...and welcome to the discussion wv

20. 4His_glory New Member

Hey! Welcome to the discussion! Benn praying for you too.

Brazil has not looked as good as they have in the past. We will see if they can really repeat, personally I hope they don't and unless they start playing better some one is going to knock them off soon.