1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured World vs. Elect

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mandym, Aug 3, 2012.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ does not give life to the whole world, therefore, He did not die for the whole world! At least that is what I believe and what Scripture shows.

John 10:11-16
    10. I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
    12. But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.
    13. The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.
    14. I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
    15. As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
    16. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

So the cross itself...saved no one???? it just gave some light????

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I can tell that you are still thinking individual sin. That is not what the passage is talking about.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The taking away the sin of the world saved no one. It is not speaking about an individuals sin. That takes grace through faith to save. The cross made possible for grace to be offered and faith to complete the transaction.
    The taking away the sin of the world had to be for all to allow for some.

#24 freeatlast, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2012
  5. mandym

mandym New Member

This is called begging the question and is not correct or reasonable.

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well Fal,
    You have offered your view here. We are saved by grace through faith.

We differ on what actually happened at the cross.

I believe salvation was accomplished at the cross and then given as a gift,

You express that it was made possible.............but man adds faith to it or it does not become effectual...

It seems like you are trying to have it both ways, yet I see only one way in scripture.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

We know He took away the sin of the world and that too is what scripture teaches.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You are correct I do hold it both ways. Election and free will. I would remind you that in the OT when the blood was sprinkled it covered all Israel,( (Leviticus 16:19) took away the sin, not just some yet not all was saved. Tell me this. In the OT on the day of attonement what did the sprinkling of the blood do (Leviticus 16:6-20)?

#28 freeatlast, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2012
  9. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Man has to work the field not God it is man's job,his curse. We plant we water we work the field and God makes it grow. God as a man started it off with a chosen group of people the ones waiting for what was promised. God grafted them into the Holy Spirit, the branches, the elect, the remnant without them no one would be spreading the message and no one would be saved. They are to be making more disciple's to be crafted in to continue to spread the gospel until the end of the age.God is including with them those that hear the Gospel of their salvation having believed and they are right about those who are being included if they don't drink His blood and eat His flesh they don't have no life. There is no life in us apart from Christ. He has the words of eternal life listen and learn from Christ and leave nothing left over

#29 psalms109:31, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2012
  10. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Every time someone makes a post for which there is no adequate response it is called: "begging the question". :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    of course it is...lol

12. mandym

mandym New Member

Ok more childish sarcasm from you which I asked to not have in this thread. This post proves the very thing about you that you keep calling slanderous. If you cannot behave then move on.

13. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's interesting you mention the High Priest and Israel.

On the Day of Atonement, it must be pointed out, the High Priest performed his function for the people of Israel only, not for all nations.

Israel is the elect subset of all nations just as the church is the elect subset of all people. Christ as the Great High Priest interceded and atoned for His own--only--just as Israel's High Priest performed the work of atonment for only Israel.

The Archangel

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The word "world" in the scriptures means different things in different contexts, and many of them do not mean every person without exception. In a later post, I'll try to provide some examples.

Here, I want to throw out one scripture for discussion.
    II Corinthians 5:19
    At first glance, one might say "see there, Christ died for the world, the whole world, for everybody."

But here, Paul says that God, in Christ Jesus, does not impute their trespasses to those for whom he died.

So, if one holds to world as all without exception, then he must also hold that all were and will be saved, since their trespasses are not imputed.

To put it another way, God is not charging or reckoning those trespasses to those for whom Christ died.

So pick your poison. If world means all without exception, then we have universalism.

If all are not saved, then world must mean something less than all without exception.

15. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent point.

The Archangel

16. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Thank you, Archangel. And let me return the compliment by pointing folks to your blog article about abortion. I won't give away your point, but it's well worth the read.

17. mandym

mandym New Member

I keep seeing this argument but I don't know anyone who argues that it always means everyone. But the fact that is doesn't mean everyone in some passages does not speak securely to the passages I listed. And this does not respond to why Jesus used "elect" for those we know was already saved and 'world' to those who were not. This I believe shows that His death encompassed more than just the elect or He would have used "elect".

#37 mandym, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2012
  18. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe the elect are elect to rule with Christ in the governing and education of the world (kosmos), in the world (oikoumenē) to come.

Then at that time:
    And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world (kosmos) are become of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.
    To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world (kosmos) unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

19. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

It does .

Those who are drawn...all people...are given the oportunity to place their faith in Christ. Those who choose wisely will be saved. Those who turn away will be lost, as that is what they chose.

20. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Thank you for pointing.

Amen to the Archangel