1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would attending church be a choice

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    now your forse feeding.....that never works!:)

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Correct. Plus it is an unconstitutional government endorsement of religion. The ACLU has this one right.

4. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Two things:

1. this is not force feeding. The criminal has a choice and he could also choose the church. If he was told to go to a specific church or was not given a choice, this would be a violation of the 1st.

2. This is a legitimate sentence.

I would participate and my church would as well. I have reservations about this, but overall I think this is not a violation of law or precedence.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Luck :smilewinkgrin:

6. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I believe this is a violation of the Constitution. I'm surprised that this was even started in the first place.

Perhaps if the person was offered a third option it would be alright. The option would be to appear before another court. Just an added thought.

#6 Robert Snow, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2011
  7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone else have a problem with church attendance being made to seem punitive?

In my neck of the woods, the criminals who have accrued good behavior and are living at a half-way house are rewarded with being able to attend church on Sundays.

I have a problem with viewing church attendance in the same mindset as serving prison time.

That's no different than if I were to punish my misbehaving students by giving them math problems to do. It only makes them dislike learning and teaches them to view mathematics as a thing to avoid.

I don't like the idea. Invite the prisoners to church. Set up prison ministries. But don't tell them that church is a punishment.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anything for Church attendance:thumbsup: At least you can :sleep: through it!

9. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1.) Church attendance should not be a punishment.

2.) I have endured spiritual, emotional and mental hardships in worship services because of the leadership/doctrine in some churches I have attended, but I suspect that even the worst churches would not be as bad as jail. By setting up such an uneven choice, the program is clearly designed to promote religious exercise, which is a violation of the First Amendment.

3.) God neither seeks nor desires unwilling "worshippers." In fact, the prophets lashed out at those who participate in worship for unholy reasons.

10. billwald

billwald New Member

Good growth opportunity if the Muslim Brotherhood wants to build a mosque there.

In the bad old days the judge would let the kids choose between jail or the Army. Then the Army got to fussy. Now that we have an all volunteer armed forces maybe the old custom will return. Of course, as long as the Neocons continue to tank the economy and people have to choose between the Army and sleeping in their cars . . . .