1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Would I Be a Good Fit for NOBTS as a Fundamentalist?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Steven Yeadon, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am looking for a seminary to get an MDiv. I have the option of New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary in Orlando. Problem is I am more independent fundamental Baptist, and I am far more conservative theologically than many Southern Baptist ministers. I am wondering if that will be a problem at NOBTS? Does anyone know if they are more conservative or moderate with bible courses, theology, ministry preparation, or evangelism and missions?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where in the world did you get the crazy idea that you are far more conservative than many sbc pastors? I can assure you, you have no idea what you are talking about

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steve, how can you be more conservative than most SBC pastors?

4. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry if I sounded nuts. I have been in SBC churches where I had to leave on multiple occasions. The role of women as not being able to have anything but a servant (deacon) role caused friction at one church. The argument that sermons are to be for explaining the Word not for lengthy sermons on topics with little in the way of bible verses forced me to leave another. The idea people are potentially going to hell if they get into sins like drunkenness and fornication got me a rebuke. The flat out opposition to Joel Osteen caused friction. The opposition to bible twisting by Celebrate Recovery forced me to avoid other churches after an incident. My opposition to Charismaticism caused friction.

I should not have used the term conservative. I was using the wrong word. Honestly I have no idea what term I should use. I do know it has been a rocky road before going to my current IFB church.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Conservative Baptist label fine!

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My son is independent fundamental Baptist (Maranatha Baptist University grad) and took a class at an SBC seminary. Felt he was "way too conservative" when compared to the positions of both faculty and fellow students.

Maranatha now has a full IFB seminary program and would probably be a better fit for an IFB pastor. If you want to be a Ford mechanic, you train in a Ford garage . . .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you. I agree that IFB trains with IFB. My mentors should be people I agree with.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious, as what doctrines and or practices your son found troubling!

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    (Second hand, from my conversations with him a dozen years back)
    Issues with rampant anti-calvinistic bent, separation from worldliness, sectarianism (he didn't go to an SBC undergrad so wasn't part of the clique of SBC), denominational hierarchy, liberal tendency away from inspiration, lack of strong doctrinal teaching.

We were many years at FBC Dallas (SBC under Dr Criswell) as my kids were young teens. They saw the weakness in separation and lack of deep doctrinal teaching in the SBC in general, but we were blessed at FBC to have Criswell College and uber-conservative folk. Kids noticed at SBC camp for our county that everything was "simplistic" and no depth.

And I personally fellowship with the Founder's Group of the SBC and attended many conferences. My church today is closer to SBC than anything (no affiliation) but only with the Founder's type. Many local SBC pastors are like those my son saw in the class in seminary.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberalism is strong in the SBC at the present. Just look at Prez Greear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the leadership it is. The last few years the emergent post modern calvies have shown up in a sea of beards to the conventions to get them elected. They are not representative of the average church.

12. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To the OP, after explaining what I meant by "conservative," is the environment at NOBTS, especially in Orlando, conducive to a fundamentalist with my beliefs?

13. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are unfortunately representative of a lot of SBC churches. The big SBC churches around here are liberal. The First Baptist in all the town's around here might as well be the First Methodist. One of the small SBC churches just down the road has women deacons. SBC is much more liberal than I like. It's time for another purging.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you would define that word differently than most do today. You might want to research the history on its usage.

But to answer your question they will not likely make a thing of it if you dont and quite frankly in that setting I cant figure out why you would want to.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the current leadership into modern prophets and BLM!

16. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steven,
    Can you tell us a few things about your undergraduate education? What is your major path of undergraduate study?

Inquiring minds want to know!

:p

17. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a Bachelors in Political Science specializing in International Relations from the University of Central Florida in Orlando. I attended a year at Rollins College studying Music in Winter Park at the Bachelors level. I have 45 graduate credit hours towards an MDiv at the liberal Asbury Theological Seminary. I was a liberal Christian as of 2004 up to 4.5 years ago when I was saved.

18. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steven,
    Thanks for the update on your undergraduate education. My dog and I are sitting on a Kentucky log not far from Asbury.

:Unsure

19. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel sorry, Brother. That place is evil. Teaching the OT is historically inaccurate, that the NT is not written by the apostles, and so much more doctrine of demons. Then again Asbury's Orlando campus is just down the road from me. :(

20. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never thought of Asbury's campus here in Kentucky as an evil place.

:Rolleyes

• Agree Agree x 1