1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Would Paul Washer Be Welcome to Speak at Your Local Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by saturneptune, Jan 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thisnumbersdisconnected

For the life of me, I don't understand why anyone needs to find a human representative with "name recognition" with whom to identify. I don't even know who Ed Young Jr. is, and don't care. I've got my church, my pastor, my friends, my co-minister in our men's ministry, my one year at an unaccredited (by educational standards) Bible college that was a waste of money, career-wise but eternally invaluable in helping me understand my new found faith of the time. I don't need Washer, Young (whoever he is) or even Spurgeon, Calvin, Luther or anyone else -- though those latter-mentioned giants of the faith are great reads. All I need is Jesus. I have Him, He has placed me where I am, and I am more than content to help His people, love me wife and kids, and "act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with" Him.

Quite frankly, I'm beginning to think being on this board is a waste of time.

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

How are they giving a converted sinner hope through a prayer to receive Christ? If he's a converted sinner, hasn't he already received Christ?

What Washer tries to say is that we shouldn't have folks say a "sinner's prayer" as though the prayer has the power to save. And he's right. we do this in the US. And we go to other countries and do the same thing and come back and tell of the hundreds who said a prayer and got saved. It's a terribly, dangerous thing to do

But who is to say that the guy would have gotten the simplicity of it if he had not been taken through what he was? The path that God uses to get folks to that point is often different every time.

I think if you look at Scripture, repentance is vital. John the Baptist said do that first and Scripture shows that has to happen first. A sinner has to be shown that like all of us, he is wretched, clothed in unforgiven sin and in need of the Savior's forgiveness. And THEN you can go to John 3:16.:thumbsup:

3. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Here is the transcript, tell me again where he failed to adequately present the Gospel and labour to help this man face his challenges in peace.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting isn't it?

As have quite a few others recently. Largely because of some cals.

5. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Fixed your post there for you Rev.:tongue3:

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    yes perhaps it is.....you are too holy and have need of nothing....you know all truth and you are not your brothers keeper...

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Revmitchell

Or they read your "posts"....

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

There is a vast difference in the way those supporting Paul Washer present their case. Posters like Thousand Hills, PFT, Zaac, and Numbers use reasonable opinions. People like Rippon and JDF are here just to throw a wrench into the thread.

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Well I still think that Paul Washer is one of the most solid Biblical preachers around right now.

I love preachers who are bold enough to unashamedly preach the truth and humble enough to do it in love.

:godisgood:

He may not be everybody's cup of tea, but I think if you listen to several of his sermons, he sets about calling the Body of Christ to take seriously this commission that God has given us to be His ambassadors. There really is so much of the church that just isn't what Jesus left behind over in Acts. And we have just got to do better. But I don't know if some want to do better. There seem to be so many content to look inward and not really be concerned about holiness and the things that Christ has called us to.

Paul Washer wants to see individuals saved and he is very serious about us taking it seriously and exhorting others to portray Christ in their walks.

#89 Zaac, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
  10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    These links are an indication of those who oppose Paul Washer....when you read some of the links on google you find the same objections being offered falsely...they link him to a works gospel and say he teaches the "EVIL" teaching of lordship salvation.....One of the links listed JOHNNY MAC, CHS, and George Mueller, Tim challies as false teachers....????

There is a clear divide on the biblical understanding of grace.

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Revmitchell

Do not worry....those who invite him to preach will not be calling your number anytime soon.

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This Anderson is not even a christian...have you ever heard him???Horrible.

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Salty

He is an unstable person....no real pastor at all. I heard him saying only his church was true????

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I don't know much about him. But he's got a beautiful family.

[​IMG]

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    thisnumbersdisconnected

reformation is not salvation

Yes ..he was carnal in the heart and needed to repent and be saved.

No Godly pastor would assure this man he was a christian while he practiced this sin.....such were some of you...not such ARE some of you-

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.
    Your statement is unbiblical...completely unbiblical.

You have no basis in scripture to say he was saved as he was bound by this sin.

nonsense..
    This again is unbiblical nonsense...where do you find this stronghold IDEA?

Oh the antinomian carnal christian heresy from dispensational roots...it is clear now:thumbs:

This idea as expressed is nonsense.

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Zaac...his family is one thing....I am sure many cult members have cute children also...but a cult is a cult for a reason. look him up online...listen to any 5-10 of his sermons...you will see quickly that he is unstable...I did not save them to my "favorites" or anything...I listened because he is an outspoken anti-cal...I quickly discovered he is clueless and cult like...take a listen for yourself.

If he was banned from BB as they say.....you might find some of his gems in the archives...

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Zaac

.[/QUOTE]

This is a denial of the scriptural testimony of the work of the Spirit in regeneration and conversion.

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes,,,I have not heard him preach anything that is not scripturally based and i have heard about a dozen sermons.

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I think we are not describing the gap accurately between a Christian and Paul Washer. Many have posted that a person cannot really be saved if he is practicing sin. That is a straw man, because no one said a person practicing sin is a Christian, although an argument can be made for it in Romans 7 and 8.

What the gap is the power behind moral behavior. A Christian living in the power of God, saved by Jesus Christ, and guided by the Holy Spirit, first, exhibits the fruits of the Spirit. Secondly, this person lives a life for Jesus Christ through faith and the power of the Holy Spirit. It comes naturally and is not through self effort.

What Paul Washer teaches is to take an inventory of all your sins, and through your own effort, correct them. No mention is ever made of the book of James that works are a byproduct of faith, not a creation of human effort. In addition to preaching a Pharisee mindset, the proof of his lack of a life of victory in Jesus Christ is the tone and message of his talks. They are not really sermons. Instead of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, and edification, he projects arrogance, self centeredness, anger, meanness, disrespect, and division within the local church.

Nothing could be clearer. No human can say who is going to hell and who is not. If humans could, this person would be totally unqualified to make that call. If one follows the pattern of his talks, it does not take a rocket scientist to realize he is nothing but an entertainer on the order of Rush Limbaugh. His basic overall pattern is to build up a crowd into a frenzy, a positive frenzy, then, tell everyone they are not saved, and spend the rest of the talk telling the audience how worthless they are. This is the standard of a false teacher.

#99 saturneptune, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
  20. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Iconoclast

I'm not denying regeneration and conversion. Just like with Paul's thorn, I just don't see why the regeneration can't be an ongoing process.

For sure we'd like for folks to be completely freed of a stronghold upon conversion. But sometimes it just doesn't go that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.