1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you like to change your view?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rlvaughn, May 16, 2019.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another thread, FreeBaptist asked, Have you changed your view...
    Thinking about this question brought to me another interesting question. Do you have a view you might like to change but the Bible won't let you?

Let me explain what I mean with an example. I ask that you consider and reply to the original question rather than debating the example. This is an attempt to explain what I mean. For long years I have had a preference for a cappella singing in church (i.e., voices only, no instruments). I love both the simplicity and beauty of it, and think it is sound and scriptural. However, I have been unable to convince myself that the Bible does not allow for the use of instruments in worship. If I could be convinced, then I could boldly teach that we should only sing a cappella and all would be well! :) But after almost forty years I still haven't been convinced, so I am forced to view this as a preference.

With that as an example of what I mean, "Do you have a belief or practice you might like to change, but the Bible won't let you?"

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Years ago, when I embraced Monergism, I wanted to become a paedobaptist. I admired how the theology of my Reformed Presbyterian brethren seemed to fit perfectly. I studied and prayed, prayed and studied. However, no matter how much I wanted to change, I was not persuaded by scripture. Believe and be baptized is the command.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I suppose I’ve always felt I could do without all those taxes “to Caesar.”
    So, if anyone has any good scriptural arguments... :Smile

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. ChurchofChristguy

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't think Christ was particularly concerned with policies and procedures in the assembly, one way or the other.

5. FreeBaptist

FreeBaptist Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My situation was kind of the opposite to this. I had a view which I thought the Bible upheld, but on deeper research, I felt compelled to change it due to the Bible.