1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Would you listen to a Prophet?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Jason1, May 5, 2017.

1. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, I wasn't saying you did. I just said don't be like the others on this forum that fall into that trap.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, there are still prophecies to be fulfilled but there are NO new prophecies being given so there are no prophets to listen to. They'er all dead.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Actually:

Rev 11:3 “And I shall give unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy one thousand two hundred and sixty days, clad in sackcloth.”
    Rev 11:4 These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands that are standing before the Elohim of the earth.
    Rev 11:5 And if anyone wishes to harm them, fire comes out from their mouth and consumes their enemies. And if anyone wishes to harm them, he has to be killed in that way.
    Rev 11:6 These possess authority to shut the heaven, so that no rain falls in the days of their prophecy. And they possess authority over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they wish.
    Rev 11:7 And when they have ended their witness, the beast coming up out of the pit of the deep shall fight against them, and overcome them, and kill them,

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you think we are in the middle of the Tribulation? How droll!

5. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There are Baptists who argue the Tribulation started when Yeshua ascended to heaven. Oddly, the person I know also argues for a literal 24 hour creation day.

6. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Never said that. Just showing that prophets are still coming. What will their message be? Same as the others...

7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When ever anyone bring up this subject I point them to two scriptures and let the scriptures stand on what they say... There are always those who say it means something different... According to scripture there are no new prophets coming... Brother Glen:)

Luke 16:16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

Luke 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

8. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Those verses don't say the prophets are ended. A prophet is one who speaks forth the word of Elohim.

The first verse is saying that once we get to John, the message is coming to fruition that they were speaking of. The kindgom is at hand where the king has returned and is calling his servants back in restoration and obedience.

The second merely states the tenach is speaking about Yeshua and His kindgom. Future witnesses will do the same.

9. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cordially disagree... I agree with T.C.'s post #16 and 22... We are all free to believe what we will... Brother Glen:)

10. friuliveneto

friuliveneto New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I disagree with everybody...:)

I don't think the above standards are consistent with other--later--scriptures. If you interpret Luke 16 as the Lord declaring the end of prophets, what do you do with the prophets who show up after that time?

Acts 11:27
    And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch. And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar.

Or, the angel on Patmos who explained, "for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy." (Revelation 19:10) In that connection we might join with Moses, "Would God that all the LORD'S people were prophets, and that the LORD would put his spirit upon them!" (Numbers 11:29). Does anyone have a testimony of Jesus?

Or the Lord's instruction on how to tell true from false prophets. Rather than say "Don't worry about it, there won't be any after John," He said, "By their fruits ye shall know them."

Then, there is Revelation 11:3 that talks about two witnesses that "shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth." Surely, if they prophesy they will be prophets won't they? If it's still in the future and they show up will we listen to their prophecies or just refer them to 1 Cor. 13 and let them we know they've been done away with?

Al

11. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hey Al, I think you're agreeing with me :p

1Co_12:10 and to another operations of powers, and to another prophecy, and to another discerning of spirits, and to another kinds of tongues, and to another interpretation of tongues. ​

Prophecy is a gift of the spirit. Speaking forth the words of Elohim (not necessarily new words) is what its all about.

12. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Where is YOUR obedience when you make things up as you go along? There is but one true way of keeping kosher - and you do not follow it.

13. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are advocating for oral law found in judaism and their rules (which you don't follow). Scripture is clear on what to eat and not in Lev 11. That is the only true way.

14. friuliveneto

friuliveneto New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

You're right, I was agreeing with you. I have to read more carefully.

Al

15. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The ultimate prophet:

Deu 18:18 ‘I shall raise up for them a Prophet like you out of the midst of their brothers. And I shall put My Words in His mouth, and He shall speak to them all that I command Him.
    Deu 18:19 ‘And it shall be, the man who does not listen to My Words which He speaks in My Name, I require it of him. ​

Joh_14:24 “He who does not love Me does not guard My Words. And the Word which you hear is not Mine but of the Father Who sent Me.

Joh 14:21 “He who possesses My commands and guards them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me shall be loved by My Father, and I shall love him and manifest Myself to him.”
    Yeshua spoke only the Father's words (role of prophet) and called people to repentance (obeying torah). This is in line with every other prophet before Him and those who will come after Him.

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dp you see Jesus as being Yahweh in human flesh? if not, you are lost in sin!

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe in the pauline way of justification by grace alone faith alone, or by the false Gospel by keeping the Law?

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He denied that ANY will get saved by it!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Too bad many did not heed that, as there would not have been modern day Charasmatic Chaos let loose within the church!

20. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Paul can't and didn't change the narrative of the WHOLE SCRIPTURE. Just because he comes towards the last in the book doesn't mean the rest of the book has no meaning or is invalid. Salvation has always been the same.

Saved by Favor unto good works (keeping torah) to those that believe and put their trust in Him.