1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Yahweh Says to Adoni

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Apr 3, 2022.

1. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yahweh Says to Adoni

“While the Pharisees were gathered, Jesus asked them, saying, What do you think of Christ (του χριστου)? Whose son is He? They say to Him, David's. He said to them, How then does David by the Spirit call him Lord, saying, "the LORD said to my Lord (ειπεν ο κυριος τω κυριω μου), Sit on My right until I make Your enemies Your footstool for Your feet?" If David then calls Him Lord, how is He His Son? And no one was able to answer Him a word, nor did anyone dare from that day to question Him any more” (Matthew 22:41-46)

“And answering, teaching in the temple, Jesus said, How do the scribes say that Christ (ο χριστος) is the Son of David? For David himself said by the Holy Spirit: "The LORD said to my Lord (ειπεν ο κυριος τω κυριω μου), Sit at My right hand until I place Your enemies as Your footstool." David therefore himself calls Him Lord, and why then is He his son? And the great crowd heard Him gladly” Mark 12:35-37)

“And He said to them, How do they say that Christ (τον χριστον) is the Son of David? Even David himself says in the Book of Psalms, "The LORD said to my Lord (ειπεν ο κυριος τω κυριω μου), Sit at My right hand until I place Your enemies as Your footstool." David then calls Him Lord; how then is He His Son?” (Luke 20:41-44)

“For David has not ascended into the heavens, but he says himself, "The LORD said to my Lord (ειπεν ο κυριος τω κυριω μου), Sit at My right hand until I place Your enemies as a footstool to Your feet." Assuredly therefore let know, all the House of Israel, that both Lord and Christ Him God has made, this Jesus (οτι και κυριον και χριστον αυτον ο θεος εποιησεν τουτον τον ιησουν), Whom you have crucified” (Acts 2:34-36)

In Matthew’s Gospel, Jesus asks as questions, “What do you think of Christ? Whose son is He?. In Mark and Luke, they are as answers “How do the scribes say that Christ is the Son of David? In the Book of Acts, Peter is quoting the words of David in Prophecy, about The Messiah. In each case, we have Psalm 110:1 quoted, “The LORD said to my Lord”, as affirming that Jesus Christ is LORD, as equivalent to the Hebrew Yahweh.

In the Gospel Accounts, Jesus is not denying that He is “the Son of David”, as is confirmed in Romans 1:3, “concerning his Son, who was born of the offspring of David according to the flesh”. Even when those said to Jesus, “Son of David” (Matthew 9:27; 15:22; 20:30; Mark 10:47; Luke 18:38), He never said that He was not. In fact, it is also clear from the Genealogy of Jesus Christ, that He is, “the [son] of David” (Luke 3:31).

It is clear from what and how Jesus is responding in the Gospels, that He was saying, that He is more than being from the human line of King David. David, says Jesus, calls Him his LORD, and therefore more than his “Son”.

Jesus quotes from Psalm 110:1, “The LORD (yehôvâh) says to my Lord (’āḏōn): “Sit at My Right Hand, until I make Your enemies Your footstool”

It is argued by those who reject the Bible’s clear Teaching, that Jesus Christ, is from eternity past, The Eternal God, Yahweh, and 100% COEQUAL with God the Father. In “defence” of their argument, it is said, that in Psalm 110:1, the Father is called “Yahweh”; and Jesus Christ, “Adoni”, which is from the Hebrew root, “’āḏōn”, and means no more than “master”, as when used for human “masters”. This title, it is argued, is never used for God the Father. I am adding from Unitarian and Jewish Rabbi’s websites, to show their reasoning

“The Hebrew word translated “my lord” is adoni (pronounced “Adon nee”) in the standard Hebrew texts. This word is always used in Scripture to describe human masters and lords, but never God...The difference between adon (the root word), adoni (“lord,” always used of men or angels) and adonai (which is used of God and sometimes written adonay) is critical to the understanding of Psalm 110:1.” (Psalm 110:1 - A Verse Used to Support the Trinity | BiblicalUnitarian.com)

Likewise, we have the argument used by a Jewish Rabbi:

“I should note that the second “lord” in Hebrew is not “ado-nai” – the term the Torah reserves for God, but “adoni”. The latter is a simple Hebrew word which means “my lord” but is not sacred. Throughout the Torah that word is used in reference to honored human beings but never to God, e.g. Genesis 18:3, 23:6, 24:18, 31:35, 33:8, 34:14, 44:18, etc. Thus, it was incorrectly capitalized in your translation. In fact, Hebrew has no capital letters so capitalizations which are found in English translations are merely based on translators’ assumptions, and as you can see, are not always reliable.” (Rabbi Dovid Rosenfeld; Psalm 110 – Two Lords - aish.com)

It is very clear from these websites, that the Hebrew “’āḏōn” is used for Jesus Christ, which is never used for the One True God of the Bible, and therefore “proves” that Jesus Christ cannot be Yahweh, The Almighty God. I am giving a few examples from the Old Testament, where it is clear, that “’āḏōn” is used, in both the singular and plural forms, for Yahweh. Not only so, but, there is also very clear evidence, that the Name “’ăḏōnāy”, is also used in the Old Testament, for humans, as in Genesis chapter 19, and Ezra 10.

Further, it is very clear from Psalm 110:5, where it says, “The Lord at Your Right Hand”, Who is the same “’āḏōn”, in verse 1, is here called, “’ăḏōnāy”. In fact, there are a number of Hebrew manuscripts, that actually read “yehôvâh”, in verse 5. Some try to get around this fact, by suggesting that in verse 5, it is the “yehôvâh” of verse 1, Who is referred to. And even some conjecture that in this verse, “yehôvâh” changes places with “’āḏōn”, and is on His Right Hand! These are desperate arguments, used by those who simply oppose what the Bible actually does say about Jesus Christ. There is no a single verse in the entire Bible, where we read of God the Father, as being on the Right Hand of Jesus Christ. It is very clear, from verse 5, and the corruption to its reading in the Jewish Hebrew manuscripts, where some read “’ăḏōnāy”, and others “yehôvâh”, that these changes were made deliberately by the Jews, who did not want the Bible to say that Jesus Christ is Yahweh. Dr Adam Clarke, in his Commentary on Psalms, says on 110:1, “Said unto my Lord. Instead of ladoni, "my Lord," one MS. seems to have read layhovah, "Jehovah said unto Jehovah, 'Sit thou on my right hand,'" c. See De Rossi.”. Even the one Hebrew manuscript, which is Jewish and not Christian, shows that there has been tampering of the text, as we have no doubt seen from verse 5.

Here are some Bible passages, that show the Hebrew “’āḏōn”, is used for Almighty God, Yahweh.

Exodus 23:17, “Three times in the year all thy males shall appear before the Lord (’āḏōn) God (yehôvâh)”

Exodus 34:23, “Three times in the year all your males shall appear before the Lord (’āḏōn) God (yehôvâh), the God ('ĕlôhı̂ym) of Israel”

Deuteronomy 10:17, “For the LORD (yehôvâh) your God ('ĕlôhı̂ym), he is God of gods and Lord of lords (’ăḏōn, ’ăḏōn), the Great (gâdôl) God (’ēl), the Mighty (hagibōr), and the Awesome (yârê'), who doesn’t respect persons or take bribes”

Joshua 3:11, 13, “Behold, the ark of the covenant of the Lord (’ăḏōn) of all the earth passeth over before you into Jordan...And it shall come to pass, as soon as the soles of the feet of the priests that bear the ark of the LORD (yehôvâh), the Lord (’ăḏōn) of all the earth”

Nehemiah 8:10, “for this day is holy to our Lord (’ăḏōn). And do not be grieved, for the joy of the LORD is your strength”

Nehemiah 10:29, “do all the commandments of the LORD (yehôvâh) our Lord (’ăḏōn) and His rules and His statutes”

Psalm 8:1, “O LORD (yehôvâh), our Lord (’ăḏōn), how Majestic is Your Name in all the earth! You have set your Glory above the heavens”

Psalm 8:9, “O LORD (yehôvâh), our Lord (’ăḏōn), how majestic is your name in all the earth!”

Psalm 97:5, “The hills melted like wax at the presence of the LORD (yehôvâh), at the presence of the Lord (’ăḏōn) of the whole earth”

Psalm 114:7, “Tremble, O earth, at the presence of the Lord (’ăḏōn)”

Psalm 136:3, “Give thanks to the Lord of lords (’ăḏōn,’ăḏōn); for His loving kindness endures forever”

Psalm 145:5, “Great is our Lord (’ăḏōn), and abundant in Power”

Isaiah 1:24, “Therefore saith the Lord (’ăḏōn), the LORD (yehôvâh) of hosts, the Mighty One of Israel”

Isaiah 3:1, “For behold, the Lord (’ăḏōn) the LORD (yehôvâh) of hosts”

Isaiah 10:16, “Therefore shall the Lord (’ăḏōn), the LORD (yehôvâh) of hosts”

Isaiah 10:33, “behold, the Lord (’ăḏōn) the LORD (yehôvâh) of hosts”

Isaiah 19:4, “says the Lord (’ăḏōn) the LORD (yehôvâh) of hosts”

Isaiah 51:22, “Thus saith thy Lord (’ăḏōn) the LORD (yehôvâh), and thy God ('ĕlôhı̂ym)”

Micah 4:13, “the LORD (yehôvâh), and their substance unto the Lord (’ăḏōn) of the whole earth”

Zechariah 4:14, “Then said he, These are the two anointed ones, that stand by the Lord (’ăḏōn) of the whole earth”

Zechariah 6:5, “the LORD (yehôvâh), and their substance unto the Lord (’ăḏōn) of the whole earth”

Malachi 3:1, “And the Lord (’ăḏōn) Whom you seek will suddenly come to His temple; and the Messenger of the Covenant”

Here we have ’ăḏōnāy used for humans

Genesis 19:18; “And Lot said to them, “Oh, no, my lords (’ăḏōnāy)”

Ezra 10:3, “Now therefore let us make a covenant with our God to put away all the wives, and such as are born of them, according to the counsel of my lord (’ăḏōnāy)”

2. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cont...

The reading of the Greek Septuagint Version of the Old Testament (LXX), which was completed about 100 years before The Birth of Jesus Christ, is also important.

“ὁ κύριος τῷ κυρίῳ μου” (The Lord to my Lord).

In both places it uses the Greek “κύριος”, with the definite article. This can indeed show that the original Hebrew has not difference.

In the second century, we had three additional Greek Old Testament translations appearing, one by a man Symmachus, who was a Jewish “christian” from the Ebionites, a cult. His version was used by the scholar Jerome in translating the Latin Vulgate. In Psalm 110:1, Symmachus reads:

“ὁ κύριος τῷ δεσπότη μου” (Frederick Field; Origenis Hexaplorum quae supersunt; Vol. II, p.266)

“The Lord to my master”

There is a clear difference in the version of Symmachus, which could show that in the original Hebrew, there is a difference. However, even the Greek “δεσπότης”, is used for God in the LXX, as can be seen from these examples. In the example in Proverbs, “δεσπότης”, is used for the Hebrew “yehôvâh”

Genesis 15:2, “But Abram said, O Lord (Δέσποτα) GOD”

Genesis 15:8, “And he said, Lord GOD (Δέσποτα κύριε), whereby shall I know that I shall inherit it?”

Proverbs 29:25, “but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD (yehôvâh/δεσπότῃ) shall be safe”

Isaiah 1:24, “Therefore the Lord (ὁ δεσπότης) declares, the LORD (κύριος) of hosts, the Mighty One of Israel”

Isaiah 10:33, “Behold, the Lord, the LORD (ὁ δεσπότης κύριος) of hosts”

There can be no doubt, that the facts are clear, even from the reading of verse 1, “Yahweh Says to Adoni”, that there is no reason, as seen for the evidence of usage in the Old Testament, that both Titles are the same, and both are used for Deity. Only those, like the Unitarians, and Jewish, and Liberal “christians”, and those who oppose that the Bible very clearly teaches Jesus Christ is Almighty God; who will keep their arguments about Psalm 110:1, and the references by Jesus Christ to this in the Gospels.

In Isaiah 9:6, we have The Prophecy for the Birth of the Lord Jesus Christ:

“For a Child will be born to us, a Son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His Name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace”

One of the Names for Jesus Christ, is “’ēl gibwōr”, which is “Mighty God”. In the next chapter in Isaiah, we read, “but shall lean on Yahweh, the Holy One of Israel, in truth. A remnant will return, even the remnant of Jacob, to the Mighty God ’ēl gibwōr” (verses 20-21). Even the New World Translation by the Jehovah’s Witnesses, in both places reads, “Mighty God”. This is very strong evidence from those who reject that Jesus Christ is GOD, that He is GOD, as their own translation confirms! Two distinct Persons, Who are equally MIGHTY GOD.

In Deuteronomy 10:17, it reads: “For the LORD (yehôvâh) your God ('ĕlôhı̂ym), he is God of gods and Lord of lords (’ăḏōn, ’ăḏōn), the Great (gâdôl) God (’ēl), the Mighty (hagibōr), and the Awesome (yârê'), who doesn’t respect persons or take bribes”. This verse in Deuteronomy uses “’ăḏōn” for “Lord”, which is the same root as Psalm 110:1. We also have in this verse, “’ēl gibwōr”. It is clear that Deuteronomy 10:17, is about Jesus Christ.

The Bible is very clear, that God is NOT “Unitarian”! It is IMPOSSIBLE from what we actually read in the Bible.

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That, LORD, is not what the text says. Jesus asked why does David call Him Lord, Adoni, if He is David's Son?

• Like Like x 1
  4. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I have shown in the OP, the Hebrew "adoni" is from the root, "adon", is used many times for God and Yahweh in the Old Testament. I have also shown the probability of verse one being corrupted from two mentions of "Yahweh". This is also seen from the 20 or so Jewish Hebrew manuscripts, that actually read "Yahweh" in verse 5, which refers back to the "adoni". There is no doubt that Jesus is referring to His Deity by quoting Psalm 110:1, as does Peter.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Capital L, capital O. capital R, capital D = KJV substitution for Yahweh.

6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it does not refer to the Son's deity. It refers to His given preeminence in His humanity. ". . . Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool." In His humanity at the right hand of God. 1 , Timothy 2:5 as the Man.

7. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adding to the confusion, perhaps, is when Jewish scholars developed a “vowel point” system to supplement the all constant Hebrew written language in the 4th or 5th century, they decided to use the vowel points for “adoni” (Lord) for the name of God “Yahweh” to remind priest not to speak the name “Yahweh” while reading.

That is why the KJV scholars mispronounced “Yahweh” as “Jehovah” in their translation.

peace to you

8. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    your understanding of Psalm 110, and the Absolute Deity of Jesus Christ, is flawed! Psalm 110 is about Jesus The Messiah Who is Yahweh.

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your understanding of Him being both Lord and Christ is badly flawed, Acts 2:36, Ephesians 5:5. We agree He was and is always Yahweh.