1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured You, Your Children and Vaccinations?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by righteousdude2, Sep 11, 2013.

?
  1. Yes...

18 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. No....

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. No opinion...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Please see my comments on vaccinations!

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Apparently, there are different critical thinking curricula in the hallowed halls of higher learning. Obviously, most folks believe exactly what they want, regardless of the facts.

The swine flu fiasco is a fact. The implications should be obvious to those with open minds. Obamacare is another good example. The conflict of interest between AMA and the pharmacy makes the whole system seriously flawed.

Big Brother ain't your brother.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

2. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

So..........is the flu shot that they promote in the late summer/early fall season of every year good or bad for you???

Just askin'

3. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Took a free flu shot about 10 years ago--became very ill. Stopped vaccination. No more flu-like symptoms. However, I buy and take mega doses of Vitamin-C liquid to bolster the immune system to make natural antibodies.

Anecdotal, to be sure. Works for me. That is enough clinical trial for me. Now what?

Linus Pauling was right.

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You forgot to list the no drinking, no dancing, pot luck, and 50 inch waist vaccines.

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

No doubt, absolutely true. It is also the best example of why the testing and trial phase of drug production is essential to public safety. Ford directed the FDA's drug approval process be subverted and curtailed, making the vaccines directly available to the public without those safeguards having been practiced. The result was the deaths and severe illnesses that resulted. When left alone, the test-and-trial phase works quite well.

Not of the subject of this thread, it isn't. The Great Pretender's health care "plan" has far more negative implications for U.S. citizens than the swine flu fiasco ever had the potential of becoming. This disaster on the horizon for health care is exactly why doctors are leaving private practice in droves, thus setting up the public for long lines in the waiting room, extensive waits for surgery, severely reduced health care provision at all levels. The system works the way it is. There is a reason health care in the U.S. is, overall, the best in the world -- and yes, I'm well aware of the U.N. "surveys" that claim otherwise but we'll discuss that in another thread.

That reason is that the free enterprise system works. Pharmaceuticals are expensive to develop, research, test and trial. The only reason they are less expensive elsewhere is because systems like the "Patient Protection and Affordable Health Care Act" (what a farce of a name!) in place in foreign countries force the drug companies to provide their drugs at drastically reduced prices far below even reasonable retail. I'm not defending pharmaceutical companies. They make up the difference in that forced price reduction by drastically increasing the price at home.

http://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/average-profit-margin-pharmaceuticals-20671.html

According to Yahoo! Finance’s industry summary, the average profit margin for generic drug companies as of April 2013 is 5.4 percent. The largest average profit margin is for major drug manufacturers at 18.4 percent. This group includes Pfizer, AstraZeneca and Bristol-Myers Squibb. For the "other drug manufacturers" category, which includes Teva Pharmaceutical Industries and Allergan, the average margin drops to 12.2 percent. These segments of the pharmaceutical industry have high barriers to entry due to high research and development costs tied to U.S. Food and Drug Administration compliance; these costs can exceed hundreds of millions of dollars.

The average profit margin for publicly traded drug wholesalers, including Cardinal Health and McKesson Corporation, is the lowest in the pharmaceutical industry at 1.30 percent. The profit margin for drug-related product producers, which includes Herbalife and USANA Health Sciences, is 11.7 percent. The latter category is sometimes referred to as nutraceuticals. More small businesses operate in these segments.

A comment that obviously fails to take into account where I have stood from the day I came on this board, and much further back in time than that.

#25 thisnumbersdisconnected, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2013
  6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's strange that there are folks who are pro polio, measels, whooping chough, etc...

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

My husband had the flu shot alongside me and had no issues with it at all.
    However, think about it. There are a lot of types of flu. They can only vaccinate against what they *think* might be what you'll most likely get. What are the odds that they'll be right? What else is in that vaccination? Between what else you're getting and those odds, is it really worth it? Really weigh that when you're considering it.
    Also, REALLY triple consider ANY injection if you have a latex allergy. I have a severe one and won't even get blood withdrawn anymore in this state because they don't get it out here. They just don't get it...even if your allergy isn't severe now, it can get that way the more you are exposed that person giving you a flu shot can't guarantee that the stuff was never in any form exposed to latex or stored with a rubber stopper at any point.

BTW, thanks for this thread. Two kids now started Vaccistat. :thumbs: I really want to work with the one on detox anyhow and see if it helps with her allergies and such.

8. thisnumbersdisconnected

In 1976??

That's a misnomer. Usually there are three strains of dead virus in the shot you get. This year, there are four. The "odds" you ask about are about 99% that they'll cover the strains loose in the world this year.

About 99%.

Preservatives. They prevent fungal or bacterial growth that could be truly harmful if accidentally injected into your arm, far more harmful -- in fact, infinitely more harmful -- than the preservatives, including thimerosal, which is the most controversial but is equally benign.

Given 99% odds, and the fact that the fears about preservatives are total myths and hysteria, of course it's worth it.

Your latex allergy isn't activated by the flu shot. It is activated by the health care worker using latex gloves when giving the injection. Ask him/her to use non-latex gloves. Vaccines are not stored in latex-covered bottles. And no, rubber isn't latex, nor is latex rubber.

#28 thisnumbersdisconnected, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2013
  9. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

Our family is vaccinated against everything that the state of TX required for public school at the times we went. Daughter is still in school still. We do not do flu shots as they are not required.

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Disconnected...what on earth....? Yikes!

Why would it have been in 1970 something? It was two or three years ago.

Your stats are way off. Go to the CDC. They give you a range of numbers on how effective flu shots are. The numbers range each year and on some flu viruses, can be extremely low, like 7%, while others are higher, but I've never seen 99% because the numbers range. Since I have worked in fields where the numbers are of interest, it's been, well, of interest.

And what is up with your assertion about latex? PLEASE don't tell me you work in health care. You could kill someone with an allergy. Don't say stuff like this, someone who doesn't know or who is in your life and trusts you might listen to you and die. I live this and it's crazy, been stuck doing almost recently as I wait on further care for the most recent round of ignorant exposure. A simple internet search will tell you where it comes from and what all it is in. And what packaging issue caused flu shots the other year needing relabeled and taken back, causing a shortage.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Only on BB would we debate the righteousness of flu shots. Would one of you theological geniuses start a thread on "Does God Really Want the Sky To Be Blue?"

12. thisnumbersdisconnected

I wasn't talking about the flu shots of today in the post just before yours. Perhaps you weren't responding to that, but the 1976 Swine Flu vaccine was deadly, which is the only flu shot I talked about.

Again, not talking about the same thing. You're talking about effectiveness. I was talking about the ability of the CDC to project what strains are infecting the populace, and even though the effectiveness may not be all that great in some instances, the projections regarding the strains that are virulent have been nearly spot on. Since I have worked in fields where the numbers are of interest, it's been, well, of interest.

And what is up with your assertion about latex? PLEASE don't tell me you work in health care. You could kill someone with an allergy. Don't say stuff like this, someone who doesn't know or who is in your life and trusts you might listen to you and die. I live this and it's crazy, been stuck doing almost recently as I wait on further care for the most recent round of ignorant exposure. A simple internet search will tell you where it comes from and what all it is in. And what packaging issue caused flu shots the other year needing relabeled and taken back, causing a shortage.[/QUOTE]I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. The CDC says there "is a chance" of contamination by packaging, but it doesn't indicate the likelihood, stating a percentage or a probability. It is only said to be "unlikely" but there still remains a chance. There are a number of antivaccination websites that claim it is "common," but it just isn't. And as with the other thread where I've determined today that sometimes personal opinion gets in the way of reason, I'm done here. God bless.

13. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Sorry, disconnected. I didn't realize you thought I was speaking to only you in the earlier posting. Or speaking to you at all. I don't mean that in a rude way, I actually don't think I noticed you on this thread at all until you quoted me. I'm a bit "disconnected" myself at times! :eek:

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean like “It isn’t blue, that’s just our perception.” :smilewinkgrin:

15. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Eh? How so? I would no more go to a pastor or minister of religion for an opinion about vaccinations than I would go to my doctor for an opinion about soteriology. If I found anyone doing either of the foregoing, I would be seriously concerned.

[ETA - one has to also bear in mind that the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data' (anymore than the plural of 'testimony' is 'theology').]

#35 Matt Black, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013
  16. thisnumbersdisconnected

Bob, I second this post ...

I agree. This is not a "news or current event." Perhaps it should have been moved from a "Baptist Only" forum to another venue, but this isn't the right one, either. Since you've moved the thread and had previously entered in with some very controversial statements, you've been silent. I, for one, would appreciate a move to a different forum and would also ask if you could answer some of the questions that have been asked of you. Thanks, and God bless.

#36 thisnumbersdisconnected, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013
  17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a couple of posters that want to post every thread they start in the Baptist section. This thread, as many others, does not belong there.

18. thisnumbersdisconnected

Agreed. But it doesn't belong here, either.

19. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Transcript of audio interview with Dr. Maurice Hilleman

Dr. Horowitz: Listen now to the voice of the worlds leading vaccine expert Dr Maurice Hilleman, Chief of the Merck Pharmaceutical Company's vaccine division relay this problem he was having with imported monkeys. He best explains the origin of AIDS, but what you are about to hear was cut from any public disclosures.

Dr Maurice Hilleman: and I think that vaccines have to be considered the bargain basement technology for the 20th century.

Narrator: 50 years ago when Maurice Hilleman was a high school student in Miles City Montana, he hoped he might qualify as a management trainee for the local JC Penney's store. Instead he went on to pioneer more breakthroughs in vaccine research and development than anyone in the history of American medicine. Among the discoveries he made at Merck, are vaccines for mumps, rubella and measles…

Dr Edward Shorter: Tell me how you found SV40 and the polio vaccine.

Dr Maurice Hilleman: Well, that was at Merck. Yeah, I came to Merck. And uh, I was going to develop vaccines. And we had wild viruses in those days. You remember the wild monkey kidney viruses and so forth? And I finally after 6 months gave up and said that you cannot develop vaccines with these damn monkeys, we're finished and if I can't do something I'm going to quit, I'm not going to try it. So I went down to see Bill Mann at the zoo in Washington DC and I told Bill Mann, I said "look, I got a problem and I don't know what the hell to do." Bill Mann is a real bright guy. I said that these lousy monkeys are picking it up while being stored in the airports in transit, loading, off loading. He said, very simply, you go ahead and get your monkeys out of West Africa and get the African Green, bring them into Madrid unload them there, there is no other traffic there for animals, fly them into Philadelphia and pick them up. Or fly them into New York and pick them up, right off the airplane. So we brought African Greens in and I didn't know we were importing the AIDS virus at the time.

Miscellaneous background voices:…(laughter)… it was you who introduced the AIDS virus into the country. Now we know! (laughter) This is the real story! (laughter) What Merck won't do to develop a vaccine! (laughter)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.