1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Your favorite Baptist books

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Zachary Uram, Jul 19, 2020.

1. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, not seeing any judgment as to "heresy" found in that article. It mostly an informative article as to various interpretations of the Millennium.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So when Christ Himself, in His "Revelation," (20:1-6) brought up the 1000 years figure for His intended reign, He was just parroting the Jews? That's an insult to Christ. I suggest you should go to the Bible and not some modern, infidel, Jewish source, given by people who reject the Lord Jesus Christ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 1000 = Satan's binding, not the kingdom. When they end, he attacks the kingdom.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My favorite Baptist book is Desiring God by John Piper. It does not have as much of an impact now I suppose (I do not anticipate reading it again in the near future) but when I first read the book it was revolutionary to me (it is really very similar to John Owen ) it did help me to grow and understand about a new birth and how our desires are changed by being in the presence of God. It had an impact on how I understand my faith and my relationship with God (and little bits of the work comes back to me every now and then).

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, really? Have you read the passage lately????? :D

"Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years" (v. 6).

But say, so that we don't hijack this thread any more, why don't you give us a book that says that believing in the millennial reign of Christ is a Jewish heresy. I don't know of any, and I have a bunch of books on prophecy, and teach eschatology. If you can suggest a book that says this, you might help me in my teaching. (And I don't mean an Internet source, but an actual book.)

7. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first resurrection is the new birth completed in the resurrection on the last day.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Irrelevant. Christ will reign a 1000 years, according to the passage. Do you have a book title for me, or shall we hijack the thread?

9. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 1000 years are a symbol of Satan's binding. You will never see the symbols materialize but if you look for what they represent, they are seen fulfilled throughout history.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, since you insist on derailing the thread, I'm going to ignore your ignoring of the plain Scriptural statement that Christ will reign for 1000 years, and bow out of the thread. Ta ta for now. :Cool

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    well, you just condemned many of the early Church fathers as being heretics then!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which one?

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He just condemned as being heretics many ECF, as well as both CT premils like myself, and Dispy premil like yourself!

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When satan is bound, there will be the Millennial rule here, as in no more wars, diseases, and just Jesus as emperor of earth!

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    New Book Explains Problems with John Piper's Theology...

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In post #36, you said, "How about the ST by Grudem and macArthur?" That one.

17. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is death in the supposed millennium along with sin. Death and sin do not exist in Christ's eternal kingdom.

18. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, the early Church condemned them recognizing Amillennialism as the teaching of the scriptures.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is also just Jesus worshiped and heeded as King, as just Christianity is allowed as religion, guess Muslims have not yet gotten that memo!

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not agree with Piper's theology as a whole. But I do like Piper (and John Owen) when it comes to the principle that God changes our desire (that we are conformed more and more into the "mind of Christ"). I like the book. I also do not care for the "Christen Hedonism" term, but if you read the book it does not take long to understand that Piper is redefining "hedonism".

Basically his claim (like the claim of John Owen) is that Christians have a "new heart" and new desires. The old is passed away and we are made new creatures. We sin, but we are never content in sin. We are only content when we are pleasing God.

The ultimate claim is that we desire God as believers where we did not prior to being saved. We desire to please God.