1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I'm taking the spiritual lead in my family

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Aug 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am too.

I'm not either.

Mildly, but use other versions for daily reading and study.

Could you elaborate for me?

I attend a SBC church but am still IFB. SBC churches are independent, fundamental, and baptist. :)

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The associated issues like the KJVO and KJVP positions, separation, attire, cultural expectations, often excessive pastoral control, etc.

And the F is typically more fundamentalist than just the fundamentals of the faith. I'm an evangelical who believes in the fundamentals, but I'm not a fundamentalist.

Now if it were the equivalent of an SBC church, then I'd have no issue. But these other issues are dealbreakers for me.

The translation issue is major for me. I'm not going to have my children in a church that discourages them from reading a translation they can understand. And I believe I have the right to use a modern translation. I even mainly use the NKJV, but it's important for me to have my liberty to read and use in church a modern translation.

• Like Like x 2
  3. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The other issues I addressed in my other post.

But I wouldn't call SBC churches by those adjectives. They are autonomous but cooperative, evangelical but not fundamentalist (IMO, the F in IFB is more indicative of fundamentalism than the fundamentals, which all evangelical churches believe).

KJVP is fine individually, and as long as I am not derided for using my NKJV, I'm fine. Preaching from the KJV is fine. KJVO is absolutely a non-negotiable. I refuse.

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree.

Okay by me.

Rubber word. Even most IFBs can't agree on what it means.

Makes no difference to me.

Not sure what you mean by that.

You can find that in any denomination and even in the non/inter-denominational churches.
    That seems to me to be a distinction without a difference.

I am more NKJV preferred than KJV preferred. But that is a result of my Byzantine Priority preference. :)

5. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will put it this way--I'd consider a non-KJVO church, depending on the individual church, as long as my NKJV is accepted as valid and not a second-class Bible.

I'll back off my more absolute statement. You've convinced me.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Virtually all IFB support missionaries thur independent mission boards - therefor they are cooperative just like the SBC.
    The big difference is that instead of a missionary visiting over 500 churches in a span of 3 or 4 years to raise enough support to get to the mission field -as opposed to a SBC missionary - when approved - they are able to get right to the field.
    Evan -ask you wife this - would your wife go to 15 separate grocers stores to the get the best price on different foodsuff, or does she look at the ads and consider the best store overall?
    BTW, the SBC mission board is very selective - they will not appoint any divorced or tounge speaking missionaries.

There are five points of Fundamentalism:
    Many IFB churches are NOT KJO

One other thing - anything above and beyond the fie points listed above - ie standards of dress, no alcoholic, no movies, no TV, refusing to fellowship with non-IBF, let alone non-Baptists, ect...
    I would consider ultra-fundamentalists. In addition - I would add that IFB churches , as well as SBC, are like snowflakes - no two are alike.
    Evan, your wife could go to another IFB, and find that is very different from her current church.

It appears that you have a serious situation here. And part of it is the C vs A. A good friend of mine once expalined that C-A is like a railroad track - right by you - there is a great distance - but as you look way down - the tracks seem to merge .

I'm thinking that this is one thing you may need to consider compromising.

I sincerely trust, that your home will soon be of one mind.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The is one thing the SBC does better than any others. They get missionaries to the field very quickly. And they provide a good retirement after a life time of service. You just gotta admire that. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

IMO, it is ok to compromise to a higher standard, but never to a lower. For example, I compromise and only listen to traditional music at my church, although I listen to contemporary. It would wrong for me to try to get someone of the strictest standard to compromise to listen to my music.

The same goes for dress, and alcohol. It is ok to compromise up, but not down.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    dont know if I fully agree.
    Is that standard a Biblical standard or a church "preference"

Now, I prefer to see a lady in a dress, at church, but I can not find any scripture requiring a dress
    Now, I prefer to see a gentleman wear a coat and tie to church, but I can't find any scripture requiring that.

10. Sapper Woody

The thing is, Salty, who's to say it it's biblical? I say it's biblically ok for women to wear pants. My church says biblically it's not. Obviously, it someone holds the standard, they believe it's biblical.

Paul says to not cause the weaker brother to offend his conscience. To me, its pretty cut and dried.

#70 Sapper Woody, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and that conscience needs to be based on actual doctrine.

Now, on one hand, I would not go into a church and demand they allow ushers without ties to serve.
    but, I would have no problem with informing a person he could attend our church without a tie.

12. Sapper Woody

Brother, I think you're talking more about preferences where I'm speaking more of standards. With the dress standard, my wife wears pants. But our church believes that biblically a woman should not wear pants. So, my wife doesn't wear pants on the church grounds or at church functions. We compromise our lower standard in deference to the higher.

In music, I listen to contemporary music. But our church believes it is wrong. So, at church and around church members I defer to their standard. To play contemporary music around them, knowing their standard, would be sin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you confused my post with his. My statements are only hypothetical. If I had to leave my current church, I'd have 10+ SBC options within short driving distance. I'd have at least two non-denominational churches also.

And my wife and I are fully on board with going to our SBC church :).

14. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    those are fundamentals, not Fundamentalism.

Here's Fundamentalism:
    We betta not catch you with anything other than KJV

We betta not catch you havin even a smidge of alcohol

We betta not catch you wearin a skirt that shows your whole knee

We betta not catch you in a pool hall

We betta not catch you in a dance club

We betta not catch you talkin bad about a deacon or the pastor

We betta not catch your grow'd up kids doin no sinnin'

From what I have seen, Fundamentalism = wacky, backward, legalist

It's almost the same as the difference between a charismatic and Charismatic. I agree with the first, but am repulsed by the other.

But as it relates to this thread, I would hold ny nose and attend with a wife. Especially if I made the horrendous mistake of marrying a Fundamentalist in the first place

• Like Like x 1
  15. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is what I meant by Fundamentalism. If a church has these qualities, it's an absolute no for me. If it doesn't, then I would consider the church, if I were looking.

The fundamentals are good, but the "extras" are not.

16. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must ask---why do you attend this church? You seem to have quite divergent views on Christian practice.

17. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I could tell exactly what you were getting at. I've seen it numerous times from self-proclaimed Fundamentalists, even those who aren't IFB

18. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I don't think there's anything wrong with the use of alcohol in moderation, I do think there's something wrong with consuming alcohol if you are going to make it a point of contention as to what church to attend. Don't drink if it is going to affect your marriage!

If your wife agrees with her IFB's church's view on total abstinence from alcohol, then DON'T DRINK so as not to create conflict in your marriage. Your first obligation is to your wife, not your liberty.

Here's an idea. Start giving to the IFB church as you should and get involved in making it a better place. That doesn't mean going around telling everyone how bad things are, but instead being salt, light and gentle truth in their midst. Moreover, you will find that they have things that they can teach you!

I have been a member of a number of churches where I don't agree with every viewpoint espoused by the leadership (that's actually every church I've attended), but I have grown and flourished in each one - some obviously more than others.

You should attend a church to serve and be served. Unless it is a church that has totally rejected the gospel, then the people of God are there and you can love, support, and learn from them.

For the sake of your wife, you need to be like Jesus and give up your liberty for your wife. God will honor and bless you for doing so.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A dear lady at my church says this....
    You can call yourself a leader if you want to - but if nobody's following, you're just taking a walk.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with this completely. It's not that big of a deal to give up occasionally drinking alcohol. I, too, think that alcohol in moderation is acceptable, but it's not worth a serious marital conflict.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.