1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I'm taking the spiritual lead in my family

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Aug 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I too hold some very, very strong opinions and beliefs. But for me to raise that opinion/belief to the level of conviction I would have to say that I hold that opinion/belief due to the Illuminating ministry of the Holy Spirit, and by claiming so I am, in effect, saying "In this I am right because God is on my side."

God is not on my side. I am, as much as humanly possible, on His side. :)

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are using the term in different senses. I would not claim the things you mentioned, either. Feel free to substitute the alternative terms.

3. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, we are. The term has been so badly misused (largely by IFBs, ironically) that it no longer has any meaning at all. A conviction is something that is absolutely certain. And only those things spoken by God Himself are absolutely certain. And even then, in order to have that absolute certainty, we must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. And that is why we must never say, "I know." We must say "I believe." For we walk by faith, not by sight. John wrote over and over again that we "know." And how do we "know?" We know by faith. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see what you mean. I will call it a strongly held belief, then. Thank you for the clarification. I was rather confused for a bit.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tend to have the effect on people. Even on me. :D:D:D:D

6. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

My information is old, so this may have changed. But I was taught that the legal definition of conviction is something you were willing to die for, otherwise, it was a preference.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

7. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It apparently has as many meanings as people saying it. Dictionaries definitely include strong opinions, but I'm not sure legally the term would be defined in any official sense.

8. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I blame my Swiss-cheese brain!

• Like Like x 1
  9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have heard that too. It springs from a comment made by a judge in case regarding a Christian ministry. "Are you willing to die for it?" In my opinion it was an asinine question. Nobody knows what they are willing to die for until they are faced with that decision. We might think we are willing to die for something but when face to face with death we may not be as strong as we initially assumed.

The legal definition of "conviction" is "a formal declaration that someone is guilty of a criminal offense, made by the verdict of a jury or the decision of a judge in a court of law."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread has deviated FAR from where it started....

Suffice to say, as was pointed out by a respondent somewhere back around page 1, it takes 2 to argue.

11. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a sense, it has still remained on topic somewhat---the idea of what prompts a person to consider a church unacceptable or not.

But, practically, I think that the question was answered sufficiently earlier in the thread, and then the thread just evolved.

12. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "When the Bible teaches something the Church doesn't like they call it legalism" -Leonard Ravenhill

13. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps, but we better be sure the Bible teaches it, lest we fall into this trap:

“Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition?" - Jesus Christ, from Matt 15:3 (NKJV)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He has attended that church for 3+ years. He said so in another post. He is in an undesireable postion. Churches can, sadly, indoctrinate their folks. Some will excommunicate if a woman is seen wearing pants in public and not a dress. I know this firsthanded as a reality. If a man's hair gets too long, it's either get a hair cut or be tossed out on your ears. If you don't preach from solely the KJV, you might get the ole heave ho. And so on, and so on, and so on...

Evan, you are in my prayers...but, as others have already said...tread LIGHTLY...

15. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love the NIV & NASB. Still read a little out of the KJV, but mainly those two. That says a lot about me as I was once staunchly KJVO. I thought all other translations were corrupted, evil, vile, detestable, &c. But thankfully, God brought me out of that nonsense. In many churches around here, it is KJVO. I have a second Tuesday night meeting at the only Separate Baptist in WVa every month, and they are KJVO. When I read scriptures I preach about, I use the KJV out of respect for them. They also believe one can be lost again after being saved. The Missionary Baptist church I now attend, I have liberty to use whatever translation I want. They are believers in eternal security, too.

So I can see where Bro. Evan has issues. But how he approaches and handles his wife he needs to be in deep prayer.

16. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You made a false accusation that I do not listen. This is not true as I have decided on what to do based on the help of some posters.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed. I do not like attending the Baptist Church at least that type of Baptist. However I love attending a certain Reformed Baptist Church in the area with a biblical view on soteriology and church government.

18. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, if you see that you going to another church genders strife in your marriage, then what? She may resent you for doing this. Always remember, you are not only a Christian, but also a husband. You are commanded to love her so much, you are willing to die in her stead. So again, tread lightly my Brother.

Now, her not willing to even attend another church once, is quite telling. She has been indoctrinated it seems.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's how IFB's operate. I went to Bob Jones I know their plan.

20. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should chime in on the "Church Standards" thread so we can have an insider's perspective on Fundamentalism

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.