1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why is it worth fighting over?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reynolds, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your view is that of a god who has unfulfilled desires. That's not the Almighty God of the Bible.
    He has His reasons which He has not imparted to you. God is under no obligation to anyone. Everything He does is righteous. For anyone to question such a basic premise is foolhardy.
    He derives no pleasure in the death of the wicked.

You are confusing reprobation with the Lord's sovereign,discriminating, elective grace.

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

You mean like Matthew 23:37?

Mat 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

Yes, that is my God.

Oh, the ol' Romans 9:20 cop out!

Rom 9:20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?

Very convenient line of scripture no doubt. :thumbsup:

According to the Westminster Confession of Faith God passes by persons and lets them perish because it pleased him.

Oh, yes, it also glorifies him to ordain these unfortunate souls to dishonor and wrath.

Nice guy. :rolleyes:

3. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct. It is shame that vitriol has become part of the vernacular. Thankfully I have taken measures to reduce being exposed to it. Still, there are some very thoughtful people on both sides of the debate that make participating worthwhile.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF the Lord decides to bypass sinners on the whole, and to provide salvation unto those whom he desires to save, who are you to querstions his motives/ways?

God has every right to just allow ALL sinners go off to eternal hell, correct?

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

No he doesn't. Not if he has obligated himself to save persons who believe. God MUST keep his promises.

Nowhere does the Bible teach that God passes by people and lets them go to hell. The Bible teaches that God is not willing that any man should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

2 Pet 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

2 Peter 3:9 doesn't even make sense if Calvinism and Irresistible Grace are true. Why would God have to be longsuffering toward the elect? If Calvinism is true, God can regenerate any elect person any time he chooses, there is no need to be patient and longsuffering with anyone.

This alone makes it clear Calvinism is error. It is nonsensical when compared to scripture.

6. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 2 Peter 3:9, to whom do the following words refer: "Any" and "All?"

The Archangel

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbs:
    never says that at all,,,,,,
    some of the elect are not born yet

the only nonsense here is your out of context posts:thumbs:

8. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I watched his TV telecast for years, I never heard anything about TULIP's Election. I didn't know he was a Calvinist, obviously because I never heard him say anything Calvinistic. Which gives me another example of a Calvinist who preaches (preached) like an Non-Cal.

9. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That's a sticking point.

The Non-Cal believes the Spirit must draw the sinner to belief in Christ, without this working of the Holy Spirit none could be saved. The Truth convicts ALL, but not ALL will deny themselves and submit to God's path to eternal life.

The Cal believes the Spirit must regenerate first, forcing the person to belief in Christ.

Jesus' lamenting over Jerusalem supports the Non-Cal position and clearly shows the Cal position to be in error. God has no reason to lament over the lost if God is the One preventing them from having a choice.

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

The thing is, Dr. D. James Kennedy got saved when he heard the gospel on the radio. He heard the gospel from Donald Barnhouse, a Presbyterian preacher who had a radio show, but he heard an Arminan or non-Cal gospel message.

http://janaeusa.angelfire.com/Kennedy.html

You see, this Presbyterian preacher preached like an Arminian that day, he told his listeners, Jesus paid for OUR sins. No Calvinist that believes in Limited Atonement can honestly make this statement, because he believes Jesus only died for SOME sinners, and he has no idea who those sinners are. He cannot even know for a certainty that Jesus died for his sins if Limited Atonement is true.

So, Dr. Kennedy was saved when he heard an Arminian or non-Cal gospel message.

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Just a note,

When reading these debates one needs to understand that there are many Non-Cals debating which are not Arminian.

The Arminian places "you" into the equation, and essentially it is "you" who must save yourself through a constant faith in Jesus Christ. There is no OSAS. They have no understanding of "born-again" or "regeneration".

The Calvinist misunderstands regeneration also, believing that God regenerates prior to any prayer from the person asking for the Holy Spirit's regeneration. Regeneration is clearly taught in scripture to be God's work AFTER the person accepts God's offer to be saved.

I am a Non-Cal who believes in OSAS through regeneration. Once God performs this miracle upon you there is no returning to an unregenerated state, and no one would desire to, for their heart has been changed permanently, a new creation.

12. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think this is entirely accurate. It is possible, I think, to have a non-elect person desire to be saved. I think we see this in the Rich Young Ruler. But, the question is better asked: Do the non-elect want to be saved in their rebellion against God or do they want to be delivered from their rebellion against God?

I think many want to be saved even in their active rebellion against God. But, the elect will wish to be delivered from their rebellion against God. This is why the discussion of "conversion" is so important to a proper understanding of responding to Christ in repentance and faith.

I think this is, at least, implied in what Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 6:

[9] Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, [10] nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. [11] And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. (1 Corinthians 6:9-11 ESV)​

The word "force" is misplaced here. The Calvinist conception of salvation deals with God making the unwilling willing, not force.

Jesus' lament over Jerusalem cannot be seen outside the context of God's revelation in the Old Testament. As Paul said, they had the oracles of God. Israel had God's special revelation for quite a bit of time, yet, even though they knew about Him, they did not receive Christ because they did not know God.

Jesus' lament over Jerusalem is a reminder to all that we can know about God and still not want to know Him intimately.

Again, from the Old Testament, we must remember that those who sinned by creating and worshiping the Golden Calf are the very same people who had walked through the dry ground of the Red Sea.

Neither proves or disproves Calvinism in and of itself. What it does show, however, is that knowledge about God--even in the preaching of the Gospel--doesn't equate to salvation. For salvation to happen, there must be a super-natural application of knowledge (or fact) to a heart made willing to believe.

The Archangel

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

Not only was Dr. D. James Kennedy saved hearing an Arminian or non-Cal style gospel message, he also preached the same way. From that same article;

So, Dr. Kennedy tells people that Jesus died "for us". This is good, this is the actual gospel that Paul preached in 1 Cor 15:3;

1 Cor 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

Dr. Kennedy preached a gospel message consistent with 1 Cor 15:3, but he did not preach a gospel message consistent with Calvinism. Calvinism cannot preach that Jesus died "for us" because Calvinism teaches that Jesus only died for some sinners, and no Calvinist knows who those sinners are. No Calvinist can look another person in the eye and tell them that Jesus died for them personally if they believe in Limited Atonement.

So, Dr. Kennedy got saved hearing an Arminian gospel, and he also preached an Arminian gospel.

He even preached the sinner's prayer. What a shock.

http://janaeusa.angelfire.com/Kennedy.html

#73 Winman, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
  14. Winman

Winman Active Member

Correct, both Calvinists and Arminians must "persevere" to be saved. This is nothing but works salvation.

Non-Cals believe that the moment they trust Jesus they are born again and indwelt forever by the Holy Spirit. It is impossible that they can fall away in unbelief as their "seed" (the Holy Spirit) remains in them, and they cannot sin. (1 John 3:9)

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, that is as evil a mischaracterization as is some of the cals work. It is only intended to be inflammatory and demeaning of a position other than your own.

Second, I hold to that position and I am not an arminian. You have no idea what in the world you are talking about on both counts. Let's try a little intellectual honesty here.

16. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I tell people all the time that Christ died for our sins.

The "our" is plural, and that refers to the sheep....

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

Isn't that being a little deceptive Willis? Aren't you giving them an impression you know might not be true? Wouldn't that give the impression that Jesus died for them personally?

To be accurate, a Calvinist should tell people Jesus died for "some" people's sins.

To be accurate, a Calvinist should tell people Jesus died for his sheep. Then the person can ask you how they can know if they are one of God's fortunate sheep.

And then you can tell them you do not have a clue who is a sheep and who is not.

That should inspire tremendous faith, don't you think? :rolleyes:

18. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: Come, let us reason together!

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I tell it to'em like this...."If you want Jesus, you can have Him. But this 'want to' has to come from God". My pastor actually quotes that quite a bit, and he is most certainly NOT a calvinist.

We are to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ to every creature, not that every creature will be saved, mind you, but rather, the sheep will hear that wonderful message and come....

20. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So AA, did you have to sell all that you had and give it to the poor in order to get 'saved'?

#80 kyredneck, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.