1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 2 Cor. 5:18-19

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Quantrill, Oct 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read your opinion. It makes no biblical sense.
    Every way I look at your proposition it ultimately comes up as merit-based salvation, like Van teaches. It's interesting then that both you two teach a merit-based system, yet your system is still at odds with one another.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Quantrill,

So you say All were reconciled,they would not be reconciled,they did'nt want to be reconciled.:Cautious:Cautious:Cautious
    Is that the same as being saved and lost? light and dark?wet and dry?alive and dead?:Sick

• Like Like x 3
  3. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread I made a couple months back explains why I am confident my faith is not a good work in any way deserving anything, God in His grace credits me righteousness in a way I cannot boast be for Him of in anyway.

A Biblical Defense of Synergism #2

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Quantrill

Quantrill Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have repeatedly shown you that we are reconciled to God when were enemies of God. (Rom. 5:6-10) That occurs when God reconciled the world unto Himself. (2 Cor. 5:18-19). This is done through the death and blood of Jesus Christ.

That is the message of 'reconciliation'. God has reconciled man to Himself. He extends to man the offer as a loving God for man to now be ye reconciled to God. (2 Cor. 5:20) God has dealt with that which made man at odds with God. Come to Christ and God. Be ye reconciled.

But, the vast majority of man will not. God has made the way open. He has reconciled the world to Himself through Christ. It doesn't matter. It's not a question of sin anymore, as God has dealt with it. They don't want God.

As I have said, you ignore that two actions are involved here. God has reconciled the world and that the individual must 'be ye reconciled'. God has done His part. It remains for the individual to do his.

Quantrill

5. Quantrill

Quantrill Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Go back and read post #(54). I explained it.

Quantrill

6. Quantrill

Quantrill Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, just tag along and keep reading. Perhaps take a few notes. That always helps me. Eventually the light might come on. But I am not offering any guarantees.

Quantrill

7. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why does God credit...YOU... righteous?
    If it's YOUR faith, not a gift of God, how is it that YOUR faith is not merit-based?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll be blunt, because His Word says so. Not everything is logical from our limited human perspective. God's Word says it is so, I conform to His Word.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sir, that is not his position. His position is that God has already, in the past reconciled the world to Himself.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On and on Quantrill regurgitates the same falsehoods. No verse says God has reconciled the world, only that He has reconciled individuals of the world, and is continuing to reconcile individuals to this day, thus reconciling the world. Any other view is obviously false and agenda driven.

11. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember when I was persuaded of this some years ago, Quantrill.
    I also remember how that, in my studies, the Lord gradually resolved this for me.

He showed me what happened at the cross, and the context for whom it all happened:

1) Romans 5:10, with the context established from Romans 5:1.
    2) Colossians 2:13-14, with the context established from Colossians 2:6-12.
    3) 2 Corinthians 5:15-19, with the context being established within itself by significant statements regarding who does not have their trespasses imputed to them and who does, as well as being established from other passages like Romans 4:3-8.
    4) Galatians 2:20, all believers were legally crucified with Christ. See Colossians 2:13-14.
    5) Ephesians 5:1-2, with the context being stated within the passage.
    6) Ephesians 5:25-27, with the context being established in item 5, as well as with the word "it" in verse 25.
    7) Matthew 1:21.
    8) John 10:11.
    9) Isaiah 53:8.

Those are just some of them.

It was then that I began looking at passages like 1 John 2:2 and 1 Timothy 2:4 in a different light, and taking "world" in 1 John 2:2 and questioning who it was describing...
    Those that were saved out of every tongue, tribe and nation ( Revelation 5:9, Revelation 7:9 ) and those that are "called" both Jew and Gentile ( Romans 9:24, 1 Corinthians 1:24 ), instead of all men indiscriminately.

Back then I didn't understand the ramifications of it all, and I certainly didn't see all the contradictions, apparent or otherwise...
    Now I see many or even most of them.
    I also think that the others who are pointing things out to you, should be taking this into account.;)

May God bless you richly in your daily walk, and in your continuing studies of His word.:)

#71 Dave G, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  12. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van, believers should be less accusatory and more gracious in their conduct toward others ( Romans 12, etc. ).
    Shouldn't we?
    As I've pointed out in past threads, Van,

The tone of many of your posts doesn't seem to come across in the loving manner that a teacher or brother in the Lord should be exhibiting ( 2 Timothy 2:24 ) towards others, and they certainly aren't being deferential.
    Were you trying to correct Quantrill out of a genuine love and concern for him as a brother, or just to come off sounding hurtful to him?
    Because that's the way it looks to me, like you really don't care if you hammer him or not.

Honestly, sir, have you stepped back and read what you post before you post it?
    I realize that I have had my moments, but to me, you really are unable to see how you come across to others.

It's one thing to disagree with someone,
    and quite another to accuse them of being malicious and of purposefully lying.

#72 Dave G, Oct 17, 2020
  13. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Q, the light came on for me when I read the Bible. I once believed as you teach, but the Bible speaks and told me I was wrong to hold the position you hold. Merit-based salvation is not presented in the Bible.

14. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll be blunt back. No, the Bible does not say so. You interpret the Bible and add merit-based faith by your interpretation, not by what the Bible says.
    You are young in Christ and you zealously search, which is good. You remind me of Keith Green, who started out with a legalist belief, yet over time, as he read scripture, turned from legalism to grace. May God keep guiding you away from works and into his amazing grace. Pay attention to Dave, he is speaking truth to you.

15. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van, I tend to agree with you here. It seems (and I admit Q's teaching is a bit puzzling) that Q teaches the whole world as being reconciled, but the reconciled can destroy (or rebuild) that reconciliation on a moment by moment basis. It seems to be a hybrid wesleyan or nazarene theology, but I confess it is puzzling.

You, on the other hand, teach human faith, which causes God to either declare it righteous or unrighteous, depending on God's feelings about you on that day.

Both are merit-based means of salvation, apart from grace.

16. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God Just Goes ahead and Tells it, Right Straight Out, on account of the weakness of men's minds and the tricks of Supernatural Evil.

"For by Grace are ye Saved through Faith;
    and that not of yourselves:
    it is The Gift of God:"

Epesians 2:8.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is 'some homework'.

18. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    " Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings,
    2 as newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
    3 if so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious." ( 1 Peter 2:1-3 ).

" Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." ( 2 Timothy 2:15 ).

Psalms 119:105.:)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Quantrill

Quantrill Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    (2 Cor. 5:18-19) (Rom. 5:6-10)

Quantrill

#79 Quantrill, Oct 17, 2020
  20. Quantrill

Quantrill Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The 'world' never describes the believers. It describes the world.

If the world describes the believers, then you cannot love the believers. (1 John 2:15-17)

I know you and others will tell me that the world there doesn't mean believers. To which I say, that's handy. I can make the world mean whatever I need it to mean to fit by theology.

Quantrill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.