1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Death Knell for Entreprenuership

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Don, Aug 26, 2011.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the original post by Don:

Consider this as military or civilian police. You've been assigned duty at an entry control point....

I don't see a war zone mentioned. I see the scenario applying to military police or CIVILIAN police. I interpreted it to mean a checkpoint at a military base, i.e. the main gate entrance to the base. Nothing about a foreign country in a war zone got remotely near my thinking process.

I wonder why that thought occurred to you?

2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I did. You said you would not fulfill your obligations in this circumstance. Thus if you had already enlisted, and the rules were put in place, you would refuse the order to serve at the post, or would not follow the orders. You stated this view plainly.

3. mandym

mandym New Member

Use of force can also be used to protect property in certain situations.

4. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

In Texas, if someone steals your TV, and is running away with it, you can kill them. That one took me by surprise when I was getting my handgun license...

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

As is your usual manner you add to wht others post. I would not serve at all under those circumstances.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Havensdad - Sorry, but Freeatlast mentioned that he would advise the military to use foreign fighters; in other words, he did not say that he would disobey orders.

I'm gonna have to check into that stolen property law; that took me by surprise, too.

Mandy - yep, you're correct; but are we talking about the owner of the property, or the ones whose job is to protect and serve?

Free - reference InTheLight's post. I posited the original post with the statement he identied: Military or civilian. I also specifically said "entry control point," not "checkpoint." Does this change your position at all?

Now, let's take your assumption that it's a military checkpoint overseas, say in Iraq or Afghanistan: Who's in the car? Do they understand what you're saying? Did you know that our standard American hand signal for stop (open hand, similar to the "heil hitler" gesture) does not mean "stop" in the Middle East? So you follow the order to shoot, because you used a hand signal that doesn't mean what you thought it meant, and you kill the 5-year old daughter in the back seat; but hey, you were just folowing orders, right?

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

It does not have to be an owner of the property. Last year a man killed two men who broke into his neighbors property and they were all running away while a cop was setting there watching the whole thing while this neighbor shot them and he was not charged with any crime.

8. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

What if the policy was changed after you had enlisted? Would you disobey the orders concerning justified shooting? Or would you obey? Or would you disobey the orders to man the post?

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The question has no value in reagards to the OP.

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think FreeAtLast has answered the questions.

To get this back to the point of the thread: the essence of the discussion here is, when do laws cross the threshold of legality and morality, much less common sense? On one side, we have those that say that requiring kindergartners to obtain business permits is excessive; on the other side, we have those that say obey all laws and orders, no matter what.

And neither side appears to be swaying the other.

Quote: "If [1Lt William] Calley was guilty of anything it was only following orders 'a bit too diligently.'"

#70 Don, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2011
  11. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

GREAT dodge!