1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A fire in Hades

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 37818, Nov 21, 2022.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 16:27-29 , ". . . Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. . . ."

There are only three references. Of cross references which only two mention fire in that place.
    Moses Deuteronomy 32:22.
    Prophets, Solomon, Song of Solomon 8:6.
    David, not mentioning the fire it self, Psalms 86:13.

2. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found twenty more.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fire is a description of God’s anger, not of the state of Sheol (aka “Hades”).
    The coals are a descriptor of love/passion, not of Sheol.
    All persons, in the Old Testament perspective, went to Sheol/Hades. It was simply the place of the dead where one joined the previous generations until the resurrection (which was not explicitly understood by most).

4. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where are those “twenty more” in Moses and the Prophets?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where fire is mentioned to be in Sheol. Please give those refernces.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke cites Jesus' teaching where there is fire there. And Abraham tells the rich man in a flame, his brothers have Moses and prophets to warn them.

7. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t understand your point.

Are you disputing that Sheol (Old Testament) and Hades (New Testament) are essentially the same thing?

Or are interpreting the parable of Jesus to mean that Moses and the Prophets specifically warn of flames? If so, why would they need to do so?

From the context of the teaching, Jesus is making a point about the wealthy and the religious who indulge themselves without first taking care of the poor in their midst. The Law brought through Moses had quite a bit to say about that, and the Prophets even more. The Prophets were all about social justice. Worrying about whether or not Moses and the Prophets reference fire in Sheol seems to be missing the point.

FYI, Song of Solomon was not considered a prophetic work. It is part of the wisdom literature which is a subset of the Writings.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all.
    The account is a true event. Not a parable.
    All Holy Scripture are didactic. 2 Timothy 3:15-17. (Luke 24:44, Revelation 19:10.) In that the Song of Solomon is also the word of God, it is revelation, making Solomon a prophet.

#8 37818, Nov 21, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are differences of opinion on the subject, for a number of reasons. In any case, if the story is indeed literal, the story represents the intermediate state, not the final state, of the wicked and those being saved.

Sure, but various passages teach in different ways. Moreover some Writings, Proverbs for instance, are meant to only be general wisdom guidelines. Other Writings, such as the Book of Job, have whole monologues from persons that God rebukes, so we have to be discerning as to how we interpret the scriptures.

You are playing a semantic game. The Hebrews referred to Moses (the Pentateuch), the Prophets (the “Major” and “Minor” prophetic books), and the Writings (everything else - Psalms, the Wisdom literature, and books like 1&2 Chronicles and 1&2 Samuel).

If we decide that Abraham is literally holding Lazarus in the intermediate state; is capable of dispatching representatives from the grave to people physically alive; and is well aware of the content of the writings attributed to Moses and the Prophets — then we should also expect he understood his audience in Sheol (and Jesus understood His audience in Palestine) and would use the common vernacular of Moses, the Prophets, and the Writings in his dialogue. The audience of Jesus would not consider Solomon a prophet in that sense.

11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Hades is an intermediate state. Was for the saved. And still is for some of the lost.

Daniel by the Jews is regareded as a Writing. Jesus quoted a Psalm and called it Law.

Abraham refers to Moses and the prophets. Song of Solomon 8:6 is a cross reference to Deuteronomy 32:22. And David's Psalms 86:13 to Deuteronomy 32:22.

12. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I refer to Scripture, not the Torah alone.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not books of the Bible?

14. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'Metaphor', actually:

7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said unto them, Ye offspring of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
    8 Bring forth therefore fruit worthy of repentance:
    9 and think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
    10 And even now the axe lieth at the root of the trees: every tree therefore that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
    11 I indeed baptize you in water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you in the Holy Spirit and in fire:
    12 whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly cleanse his threshing-floor; and he will gather his wheat into the garner, but the chaff he will burn up with unquenchable fire. Mt 3

49 I came to cast fire upon the earth; and what do I desire, if it is already kindled?
    50 But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished!
    51 Think ye that I am come to give peace in the earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:
    52 for there shall be from henceforth five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.
    53 They shall be divided, father against son, and son against father; mother against daughter, and daughter against her mother; mother in law against her daughter in law, and daughter in law against her mother in law. Lu 12

4 but I will send a fire into the house of Hazael, and it shall devour the palaces of Ben-hadad.
    7 but I will send a fire on the wall of Gaza, and it shall devour the palaces thereof.
    10 but I will send a fire on the wall of Tyre, and it shall devour the palaces thereof.
    11 Thus saith Jehovah: For three transgressions of Edom, yea, for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because he did pursue his brother with the sword, and did cast off all pity, and his anger did tear perpetually, and he kept his wrath for ever:
    12 but I will send a fire upon Teman, and it shall devour the palaces of Bozrah.
    14 But I will kindle a fire in the wall of Rabbah, and it shall devour the palaces thereof, with shouting in the day of battle, with a tempest in the day of the whirlwind; Am 1

21 Yea, I will gather you, and blow upon you with the fire of my wrath, and ye shall be melted in the midst thereof. Ezek 22

9 Thou wilt make them as a fiery furnace in the time of thine anger: Jehovah will swallow them up in his wrath, And the fire shall devour them. Ps 21

4 Circumcise yourselves to Jehovah, and take away the foreskins of your heart, ye men of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem; lest my wrath go forth like fire, and burn so that none can quench it, because of the evil of your doings. Jer 4

12 O house of David, thus saith Jehovah, Execute justice in the morning, and deliver him that is robbed out of the hand of the oppressor, lest my wrath go forth like fire, and burn so that none can quench it, because of the evil of your doings. Jer 21

4 He hath bent his bow like an enemy, he hath stood with his right hand as an adversary, And hath slain all that were pleasant to the eye: In the tent of the daughter of Zion he hath poured out his wrath like fire. Lam 2

31 And I will pour out mine indignation upon thee; I will blow upon thee with the fire of my wrath; and I will deliver thee into the hand of brutish men, skilful to destroy. Ezek 21

19 For in my jealousy and in the fire of my wrath have I spoken, Surely in that day there shall be a great shaking in the land of Israel; Ezek 38

6 Who can stand before his indignation? and who can abide in the fierceness of his anger? his wrath is poured out like fire, and the rocks are broken asunder by him. Na 1

...to cite just a few...

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...possible, but I'm not convinced of that...

16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spot on:

12 All things therefore whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, even so do ye also unto them: for this is the law and the prophets. Mt 7 - Romans 13:8-10

Even the Rabbinism of Christ's day had condensed the law to it's simplest terms:

“…Rabbinism is never weary of quoting as one of the characteristic sayings of its greatest teacher, Hillel (who, of course, lived before this time), that he had summed up the Law, in briefest compass, in these words: ‘What is hateful to thee, that do not to another. This is the whole Law; the rest is only its explanation…..” Life & Times - Edersheim

#16 kyredneck, Nov 22, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A stretch.

18. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Check Revelation, last chapters for an example.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hades is used to describe a temporary holding place in the afterlife in the NT. Sheol is used in the OT but to claim Hades and not Gehenna is the reference in Deuteronomy 32:22 seems unsupportable. And the flames of Song of Solomon 8:6 seem to be the flames of passion or jealousy, not Sheol

On the other hand Luke 16:24 mentions flame.

20. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sheol is offten translated "grave" in the KJV.