1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Pressing Question

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by KenH, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Scripture More Accurately

Scripture More Accurately Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your friend's treatment of those verses from Matthew 7 does not account for everything that Christ says in the passage: "Depart from me, ye that work iniquity." I think that claiming that this passage speaks of people who were the "cream of the crop" is a gross misreading of the passage because Jesus will reveal that these people in actuality will have been workers of iniquity.

It is a huge stretch and reading into the passage what is not there to say that these people will have been people who were "good neighbors, good fathers and mothers, good employees and good friends. They are highly regarded by their fellow man as honest, trustworthy, hardworking, 'Christians'."

Yes, they will have done the many religious works in the name of Christ that Christ specifies in the passage, but that does not show anything about whether they will have been actually good people in other respects in their lives. In fact, Christ's exposing them as workers of iniquity shows that there will have been key ways in which they will have been wicked people.

#21 Scripture More Accurately, Aug 17, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would think that these folks in Romans 10:1-4 were "good neighbors, good fathers and mothers, good employees, and good friends". But they did not have the righteousness of God; they thought they could be righteous in themselves by their works, just like the folks in Matthew 7:21-23.

Romans 10:1-4 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

I would think that these Saul, before he became an apostle and called Paul, was a "good neighbor, good employee, good friend". But he did not have the righteousness of God; he thought he could be righteous in himself by his works, just like the folks in Matthew 7:21-23. And this is what he wrote about himself when he was a "good neighbor, good employee, good friend", good moral man:

Philippians 3:4-9 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, and be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith

• Like Like x 1
  3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of us of Adam's race are wicked people. Personally, I know quite well that I am a vile, dirty, filthy, rotten sinner. Wicked people that attempt to establish their own righteousness are not saved. Wicked people who have had their sins imputed to Christ and Christ's righteousness imputed to them are saved. The difference is Christ, not man.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BINGO!!!

8 The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to Jehovah; but the prayer of the upright is his delight. Prov 15

5. Scripture More Accurately

Scripture More Accurately Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I only commented on your post because your friend has misused Matthew 7:21-23 to say what he said from them.

Yes, we are not saved by works of righteousness that we have done . . . (Titus 3:5-6). Those whom God has saved, however, will be zealous to do good works:

Titus 2:13 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. God sovereignly uses them for good works to His glory.

Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Philippians 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.