A question about Calvinisum

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Hanna, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Jarthur001 Active Member

Weddog..

You ask this every other month, you are shown, then you must forget. :confused:

Paul who was called to be the apostle to the Gentiles.
    One of the places Paul setup churches was in Asia Minor. This place was know well for pagan worship. One city was a setting a center of pagan Diana worship. As many pagans turned to Christianity in this city, those that manufactured idols and shrines, saw their profit diminishing. These craftsmen stirred up the pagans against Paul and his companions.

While in Rome Paul wrote a letter to the group of believes in Asia Minor. This city is Ephesus.

Who went to this church in Ephesus? Well some Jews went there, but mostly Gentiles.
    Eph 4
    Now notice who the book was writen to just so there will be no mis-understanding

It was writen to the Saints at Ephesus as seen in Eph 1

Now are saints choosen? Yes as seen below.

In Christ...James

2. Jarthur001 Active Member

I'm not sure if you are asking me, or asking God.

God elects. We must believe to be saved. This has been covered before. I can write a longer reply later, but I do not have the time this afternoon.

3. russell55 New Member

I gave you the other reason: in order that God's purpose of election might continue. In other words, so that the choice would originate in God, and depend on God, and not on us.

Huh? I used the word believe so many times because I truly believe that people must believe! Believing is necessary to salvation! If people don't believe they will perish! No one is saved unless they believe! How can I affirm it any stronger than that?

What do you mean that I "don't want to apply it"?

4. russell55 New Member

The choice (or election) is for salvation. The means by which that salvation comes about is the setting apart of the Spirit and faith in the truth.

5. russell55 New Member

Because God still uses means to save people. He chooses them for salvation (election) and then works their salvation through means: regeneration, faith and repentance, justification, adoption, sanctification, and glorification, etc. And of course, he provides the grounds for salvation, too: the death of Christ on the cross.

God's elect would not be saved apart from all those things. Those are sure steps, because God doesn't start something and not finish it, but they are still necessary steps.

6. Brother Bob New Member

Same answer either partial or enie menie might moe.

Low and behold the man believes in works after all!

7. Allan Active Member

According to Calvinistic Theology: God choose 'some' and left the others

But God choose those 'some' (according to Calvinism) not based on any of them but according to His purpose and will nor does God arbitrarily choose people at random. Calvinism in choosing the 'some'...let us look shall we:

Is God a respector of persons as says the scriptures?
    1. God chose me over someone else...This shows God IS a respector of persons (This against Scripture)

2. It also shows there is something about or in me that is different from that other person because God 'could' have used them just as easily but chose me. Why me?? For His purpose of course and His purpose didn't include them. God is still a respect of person (This still against scritpure)

So far we see it doesn't match up scripturally nor does it match Calvinism claims to God choosing but it has nothing to do with you.

If God could have chosen anyone to fulfill what ever God purposed then we would see God as most definately arbitrary.
    Yet we note that there IS something about you that displaces the other in Gods plan but the Calvinstic can not tell you what that is execpt the cryptic "It is Gods plan, pleasure, and purpose" but they don't know anything about this aspect of God nor can they ever know. Us non-cals can show what they can not...what is the purpose, pleasure, and plan that evades the Cals. and it is based on
    "...us being IN Christ before the foundations of the World..." We are different and chosen because God saw us IN Christ at the same place God saw Christ as that slain Lamb. No one could be in Christ until that Lamb was Slain and only those IN CHrist are saved.

What was the difference between me and that other person is quiet simply John 1:12 To as many as RECIEVED Him it was TO THEM He gave the right to be called the children of God, TO THEM WHO BELIEVED on His name.

God is no respecter of persons and salvation is available to all but not ALL will come unto Him.

>>>EDITED for clarification<<<

8. J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

"who WERE BORN, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but OF GOD"

9. Brother Bob New Member

Anyone that is saved and born again is "of God". But they must "believe" to get there. We never did say or thing we could save or born again ourselves.

10. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is not a respector of persons like people are inclined to be . The Lord has no special regard for someone because of their wealth , looks , status in society or anything else . The tendency of human beings for partiality is demonstrated in James 2 .

But God certainly has His elect ones . If you don't believe that He has His chosen ones you will have to excise a lot of the Bible .

God is not capricious . He is the Master of order . He does what pleases Him . He choses those whom He wants without regard to manmade distinctions .

Not all will come to Him is perfectly correct . No one would come to Him if left to their own power . Whosoever will ? No one will ! The Lord brings those of His choosing to Himself .

John 1:12 is cited by many noncals . They usually are not in the habit of citing John 1:13 : children born not of natural descent , nor of human decision or a husband's will , but born of God .

11. Brother Bob New Member

God started out with the chosen Israel "elect" but by and by included the whole world so He is not a respect of person. If it was only Israel or a chosen few then He would be a respect of persons. I mean the truth will stand when the world is on fire.

12. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Al Israel is not elect . The "world" that He came to redeem refers to people from among every nation , tribe and tongue .

13. Brother Bob New Member

Could you give me your difinition of "respect of person"?

14. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See # 370 , paragraph one .

15. Jarthur001 Active Member

Indeed ...

This would be wrong, so I agree..lets look.
    Indeed it does. The Bible clearly says.."God is no respector of persons". I agree with the statement in the passage and subject where you find this. :)

Indeed it does. This is also how it happens. We also see this in the Bible as we see it. This is called election.

The only different that you will see in the Bible is that God loves the elect. Why me indeed? For there are better people then I.

Wrong...both are true.

OK.

One reason, is that this is what the Bible says. Also you can add "love" to that list.

The old.."in Christ idea". Tell me ...what does "in Christ" mean?

:) I knew it... Yes saved means..IN Christ. So we could read we are chosen to be..IN Christ. Or we could read it..We are choosen to be saved. right?

Please read the rest of the chapter. Thanks.

This would be wrong.

Edit it some more. :)

16. russell55 New Member

If God chooses someone for salvation based on their fulfillment of a requirement, then he is a respector of persons.

17. StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Find a "respecter of persons" in the Bible. John 1:12 is in the Bible. It's message is very clear. But, how doesn't election not make God a "respecter of persons?" Some are chosen for eternal life and some are not (only one other choice).

18. Site Supporter

But -- although you think you are among the elect, until judgment, you cannot know for certain, can you?

19. Brother Bob New Member

20. Allan Active Member

Not hardly. For though He desires All to repent (no respecter) not all will. All can and do have the opportunity to repent or not to repent. If God 'chose' some to repent all the while have the ability to make ALL repent - that is a respecter of persons. IF a choice is given this removes the respecter clause as everyone has the opportunity to be and if not it is their decision NOT to be included. So they are judged on what they chose to do with the truth give (not to beleive) just as we are judge on the choice given (to believe). Our salvation is dependent on God to offer, impute, and fulfill IF we would but believe. And guess what...God knows each and everyone who will do so and not do so. See, it is His plan, His good pleasure, and His purpose and it always will be so.