A question about Calvinisum

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Hanna, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Brother Bob New Member

You chose to bring a baby into the world by the help of God (which is beautiful, BTW), If I chose to serve God, who are you to say I didn't. Also, Jesus said now that He has come, people like you don't have no cloak for their sin. So don't be making excuses. Anyway, you are the lucky one, God grabbed you by the hair of the head and saved you. :)

2. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thank you, Blammo. They weren't strangers to HIM...they were strangers to the land...but still Jews, James :)

3. Jarthur001 Active Member

2 Peter
    I guess this is to the jews ONLY too?

4. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yep...
    2Pe 3:1 Dear friends, this is now the second letter I've written you; in both, I awaken your pure understanding with a reminder,

5. Jarthur001 Active Member

How about this book? Just to the Jews again?
    1 Thessalonians

6. Blammo New Member

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

All scripture is profitable for our edification, James, but it is not all addressed to us.

From Abbott New Testament Commentary:

1Pe 1:1. Strangers. This Epistle is addressed to Jewish Christians residing in the various provinces of Asia Minor
    here specified. Jews residing in countries foreign to Judea were called strangers, being such in the land where they were
    dwelling.--Asia; a certain province of Asia Minor, including Phrygia, Mysia, Caria, Lydia, &c., being the western and
    south-western part. The other provinces mentioned here are situated in the northern and eastern part of the same
    country. So that, in a word, this Epistle is addressed to the Jewish Christians of Asia Minor.

7. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not dealing with the "elect". This is a letter of encouragement to believers reassuring them that they are chosen by God already as believers. This is what I mean that you cannot always use "chosen" and "elect" the exact same way as calvinists do.

8. Jarthur001 Active Member

Are you saying only the Jews can claim these truths???

9. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

All believing Jews (elect) can, but so can gentiles IN CHRIST.

10. Jarthur001 Active Member

YEP??

Now read the whole thing...

2Pe 1:1 ¶ Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

2Pe 1:2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,

2Pe 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that [pertain] unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

2Pe 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

2Pe 1:5 ¶ And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

2Pe 1:6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

2Pe 1:7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

2Pe 1:8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make [you that ye shall] neither [be] barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2Pe 1:9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

2Pe 1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

11. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

And your point is.....?
    Who is 2 Peter written to? Their "election" was as Israel, and only those Israelites IN CHRIST truly make up the elect. In order to claim the promises of being God's chosen people from the lines of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, their faith needed to be IN CHRIST...meaning they had to examine themselves to claim whether they were "elect" based on heritage or faith.

12. Jarthur001 Active Member

Again read more....

13. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

James, I'm failing to see what you don't understand. Paul (Jew)...brethern (Jews)...Paul (Jew IN CHRIST)...brethern (Jews IN CHRIST).

14. Jarthur001 Active Member

Going by your rules..

1 peter is addressing only the jews...so elect does not apply to "others" in this verse. So you say.

So when a verse addresses "the elect"..so you say...it only applies to Jews.
    Therefore what you are saying is...only Jews can claim, 1 peter, 2 peter, Thessalonians and now...Romans

Is this what you are saying? This applies only to the jews?

15. Jarthur001 Active Member

Was Paul a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ accrding to the faith of the Jews???????????

16. Jarthur001 Active Member

oh look.....we have Jewish angels and non-Jewish angels. I didn't know that. :)

17. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is Romans 8 not a preclusion to the jewish problem in regards to God's sovereignty(ch. 9), the jewish problem in regards to human responsibility (ch. 10), and the jewish problem in regards to God's final purpose (ch. 11)?
    Romans as a whole is a systematic presentation of the Gospel, which wasn't something "new"...it wasn't a complete break from the past, but was rather a fulfillment of what was deeply rooted in history. From the beginning of the book (1:3) we see that the Gospel is inseperably related to Israel as a nation. Christ Himself even stated such in John 4:22.

18. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I stated from the beginning that there is a label of "elect" attached to angels. Angels aren't humans though :) Any form of "elect" in reference to humans are in regards to true Israel...that which recognizes Christ as Messiah.

19. Jarthur001 Active Member

Looks like Paul changed his mind have way though this.....

1st he was saying we were all the same IN CHRIST....but now really he meant only Jews holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering,.....

Ok...now I understand. :)

20. Jarthur001 Active Member

Never mind. There is no changing you. Believe what you want.

:) I think its funny

Elect means Choosen....not Jewish. You can say any thing you want...but still it means choosen. Its where we get the word...well...election. We elect someone to office. We chose.

The Jews are the elect in the OT...choosen by God. In the NT we have the Jews as a nation on hold...and God has a people...chosen by Him in the body of the church. Yet each member is choosen By God.

It is clear...but I'll not try to force it on ya.