1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A question of headship and leadership

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You wanted Scriptures to show women singing, and I presented an example.

There were no separation of sacred and secular for Israel. The people are called by His name and He is there God. Therefore, when they assembled, it was as a church, for God was in their midst - well at least for a while.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The context was in the church. YOU stated that. But then you said that it's OK for women to sing in groups:

Yet you tell me that it's OK for women to sing in groups because Israel had singers.

There actually WAS separation of sacred and secular. Yes, there could be women who sang culturally but try bringing them into the tabernacle and you might have some trouble.

I'm sorry but you have not shown me Scripturally where women are allowed to sing in a group but not solo in a church. You have decided that little bit on your own but declaring it Scriptural. That's a dangerous spot to be in!

3. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, is this not a particular problem for you? Did you change your thinking?

It is YOU that has consistently argued AGAINST women being silent in the church, and here you state that it would be a problem in the tabernacle for them to sing even as a group.

Seems you are using your post as a proof of Paul's statement being born out in an Old Testament example?

If you recant, then you would have to show that women did in fact sing in groups at worship.

On the other matter, to the practicing Jew all things revolve around their identification with the religious and ceremonial traditions, even down to the clothes they wear. The Jewish folk considers a Jew a Jew until there is a denial of the religion and then that "former Jew" is considered dead.

The believer is to have that same way of being. There is no separation as to sacred and secular. A believer is considered a believer until there is a denial of belief and then that person is to be cut out and off from the body of believers.

#103 agedman, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2011
  4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm showing you the fallacy of your argument.

Nope, not at all.

No I'm waiting for you to show me that it is OK for women to sing in ensembles and not solos in church. So far I haven't seen that. It's your personal interpretation - not God's.

If there is no separation of sacred and secular, then according to you, a woman would NEVER be allowed to speak.

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I have bowed out of this, and will sit back and enjoy the conversation between Sis. Ann and Bro. agedman.

[​IMG][​IMG]

gotta have something to wash this down with. [​IMG]

6. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Well we ALL know THAT will NEVER happen!!!!! :tongue3:

7. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Yes, you have left out the part about women praying...

also, am I undrstanding you correctly in that you believe that for a short time in the early NT Church, a woman could stand and prophesy (out loud), but that based on the fact that the cannon is now closed that women should be completely silent in church?

8. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If (as you contend) that there is no scriptural proof that the women were allowed to sing at temple, then they were silent.

Paul said they were to be silent in the church.

If you want to extend the proof you have offered to say that women should not sing solos or in ensembles, that is permissible.

I do not believe that women were excluded from singing with the congregation of Israel at temple, nor do I believe that they were left out of the choral assemblies.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But you say a woman is to be silent. If she sings, she is not silent. You can't have your cake and eat it too, huh?

10. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Paul talks of prophecy in the early church, and because there were women prophets, I am making the assumption that they spoke. An Old Testament example would be Miriam leading the women out and instructing them on their response to the Egyptian's demise.

Prophecy has no place in the modern church for the Word of God is closed. There is no "new" revelation from God and therefore no need of prophecy.

Paul said women were to be silent.

11. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Certainly!

I make a mean Dr. Pepper cake :)

I am slightly allergic to chocolate, but can tolerate it enough that I can eat a piece and still have cake for later.

12. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because you say that women did not sing at tabernacle then it follows that Paul's thinking would be that women not sing, either.

Remember Paul said women were to be silent, I am merely restating that Scripture.

13. 12strings

12strings Active Member

You left out he part about women praying again...
    1 Corinthians 11:5 - But every woman who has her head uncovered while praying or prophesying disgraces her head...

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Paul said that women can prophesy.

15. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The examples of women prayers in the scriptures especially how and what they prayed is wonderful.

I recall when the priest rebuked the earnest praying of a woman as one who was drunk. It took place at temple, and wasn't she marvelously blessed.

Because of such examples, I see no problem with women praying privately nor do I see such communication with God through Christ ever restricted in scriptures except when conflict and sin rule.

Because Paul said that the women are to be silent, I have sought the examples of acceptable practice found in the Old and New Testament that would place certain qualifiers upon the statement. Prayer offered by the woman in the church as a private matter between she and Christ, and not open to public hearing would resolve the seeming dilemma between Paul's demand and the practice.

I have at times wondered about Christ's thinking during the public prayers offered in a church service. The one time I sensed the Holy Spirit's greatest approval was when the church offered not one word publicly, but each prayed from within their own heart during that very quiet time. The stillness and sombre moment made the very atmosphere alive with the presence of Christ. More than one person remarked how they regretted the growing urgency and pressure of the need to move to the next point in the "order of worship."

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

From Jamieson, Faucett and Brown:

17. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Can you show that the Scriptures are not complete and prophecy is still a viable method God uses to communicate with humans?

Because if such were the case, then the prophetic writings of a present day prophet would hold the same value as the very Word of God.

18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Gill LOL:

"every woman that prayeth or prophesieth" merely means that she

Yeah. That's the ticket!

She prophesies=she listens to the minister prophesy.

Now wasn't that simple.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What I'm saying is that the very same Paul who said that the women are to be silent said that the women are to prophesy. Did he contradict himself?

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Sis. Hannah Method of churchlady praying (I Sam 1:12,13), important part in bold:

As she continued praying before the Lord, Eli observed her mouth. Hannah was speaking in her heart; only her lips moved, and her voice was not heard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.