1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A video of my girls dancing in church...

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by annsni, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dancing isn't worship, not spiritual worship.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ex. 15:20-21, “Miriam the prophetess, Aaron's sister, took the timbrel in her hand, and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dancing. Miriam answered them, "Sing to the Lord, for He is highly exalted; The horse and his rider He has hurled into the sea."

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Heretic!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

:saint:

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have to say that the video I linked was a bit more of a performance than just a worship song like the girls usually do. During regular worship, if they are worshipping with the congregation up front (they are not there every week), the will never face the congregation but the cross and do their worship for the Lord.

Tambourine and dance was used as worship before the Lord (as we saw in the verse GB posted) and that is what these girls are doing. It's not a time of showing off or "performing" (most of the time), but their focus is on how to bring their best before the Lord in worship. There is a lot of training before they are able to worship with the congregation, and a lot of discipleship, accountability and growth amongst the girls. My own 2 girls do their dance with all of their hearts for the Lord and they are able to close their eyes and focus on Him. Here's a picture of my second daughter in a turn where we caught the joy of worship on her face

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/annsni/_MG_8820.jpg

Some do not feel that what we do is worship. That is fine. I feel that ALL that I do for the glory of God is worship. I think you can sing the best hymn in the world and not worship as you can sing any modern worship song and not worship. I also think that you can be silent and worship or sing at the top of your lungs in worship. I worship the Lord when I'm driving, when I'm praying, when I'm watching a baptism or when I'm reading the Word. It's not the act I'm doing but my heart. These girls worship with their hearts.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear brother, one might ask the same of you.

You stood in (poor) judgment of a fellow believer and accusedly her falsely and in public.

Was it worth it?

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you saying that you do not believe what scripture says or did you forget what it says in Eccl. 3 and 2 Tim 3:16. Do you not believe the following passage?

2 Sam 6:5-14, “Meanwhile, David and all the house of Israel were celebrating before the Lord with all kinds of instruments made of fir wood, and with lyres, harps, tambourines, castanets and cymbals. But when they came to the threshing floor of Nacon, Uzzah reached out toward the ark of God and took hold of it, for the oxen nearly upset it. And the anger of the Lord burned against Uzzah, and God struck him down there for his irreverence; and he died there by the ark of God. David became angry because of the Lord's outburst against Uzzah, and that place is called Perez-uzzah to this day. So David was afraid of the Lord that day; and he said, "How can the ark of the Lord come to me?" And David was unwilling to move the ark of the Lord into the city of David with him; but David took it aside to the house of Obed-edom the Gittite. Thus the ark of the Lord remained in the house of Obed-edom the Gittite three months, and the Lord blessed Obed-edom and all his household. Now it was told King David, saying, "The Lord has blessed the house of Obed-edom and all that belongs to him, on account of the ark of God." David went and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-edom into the city of David with gladness. And so it was, that when the bearers of the ark of the Lord had gone six paces, he sacrificed an ox and a fatling. And David was dancing before the Lord with all his might, and David was wearing a linen ephod.”

#26 gb93433, Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2009
  7. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently Aaron's spiritual gift is rudeness!

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:laugh:

I thought everyone around here knew me well enough to know I was being sarcastic.

I have nothing against dancing, singing, musical instruments, raising hands done in worship to the Lord.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

Ann, your girls are beautiful!

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Though Aaron's response was bluntly worded, perhaps a better question would be:
    Is such dance appropriate for church services, or more appropriate for a church-sponsored talent night.

10. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Ann,

1st of all, dancing and waving flags and banners etc is completely appropriate in the church services.

2ndly, the girls did a GREAT job. Bravo! :thumbs:

:godisgood:

#30 Alive in Christ, Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2009
  11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, yes, yes . . . we all know the OT verses concerning dancing. Keep in mind that they also slaughtered animals, burned incense, wore jewelry and fancy clothes too.

But even before the Gospel, dancing was not in the Temple or synagogue. Your exegesis leaves much to be desired.

Is dancing a gift of the Spirit?

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Aaron, please prove that dancing in worship to the Lord is sin. If you can't, then your point is :sleep: .

13. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Aaron...

Yes, if its done joyfully....

:godisgood:

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why the distinction. Shouldn't all be done to the glory of God?

2 Cor. 10:5, 6, "We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, and we are ready to punish all disobedience, whenever your obedience is complete."

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Which fruit is that part of???

16. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rotten fruit!

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

My response should have said young people... I love to see YOUNG people participating in service....

Where are those language cops when you need them... [​IMG]

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not the burden of proof. The burden is to prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God, Rom. 12:2. And aside from OT verses wrenched from their contexts, I haven't seen much from you to commend it.

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

How do you take, and David danced to the Lord out of context????

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Pull out a concordance and read your Bible. That is where the proof is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.