1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Abomination of Desolation Was Indeed Already Fulfilled

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gaviria.christian, Nov 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are wrong on so many levesl and so many topics I don't even know where to begin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Summit of Papal Power:

Innocent III (1198-1216). Most Powerful of all the Popes. Claimed to be “Vicar of Christ,” “Vicar of God,” “Supreme Sovereign over the Church and the World.” Claimed the right to Depose Kings and Princes, and that “All things on earth and in heaven and in hell are subject to the Vicar of Christ.”

DR. HENRY H. Halley. (n.d.). Halley’s Handbook: Church History.

3. Shoostie

Shoostie Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it did happen, Jerusalem was left desolate and the temple destroyed by a ruler who claimed divinity. It's popular, especially among Pentecostals, to claim it will happen again, that a ruler who claims divinity will destroy the temple. I was going to post a picture of the temple, but Google comes up with nothing except the temple already destroyed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JoeT

JoeT Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    With all due respect to Dr. Halley he is wrong. The term Vicarius Filii Dei is a reference to Jesus. Here's a syllogism; this might be difficult for you so watch the bouncing ball:

Jesus Christ is God
    The Pope is the Vicar of Jesus Christ
    Therefore, the Pope is a Vicar of God.

It's my understanding Vicarius Filii Dei was first used by Pope Nicholas III . [Cf. Fanning, W. (1912). Vicar of Christ. In The Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. Retrieved November 10, 2019 from New Advent: CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Vicar of Christ]

JoeT

5. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"I already told you what compelled me to read and obey the Torah."

No you are giving circular reasoning. ."Because the Torah is the truth." is not a reason an atheist decides to read a torah.

Why did you read the TORAH the FIRST TIME in your life? GENESIS. who told you to read this? How did you understand what a genesis even is? who taught how to read the Torah?

You say you see great wisdom , what sort of wisdom can you impart that is lacking to anyone here that would actually help their life?

6. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh where in the book of Daniel does he say any such thing?

7. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever, it is a blasphemy and a heresy.
    Popey is called "Holy Father" Jesus said call no MAN father. Holy is a name of God, As well ae Reverend. Anyobne using those titles are saying they are God. Blasphemy. Psalm 111:9

8. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Daniel 9 doesn't mention antichrist, it is a prophecy of Christ.

9. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus also said "let the reader understand." The Jewish christians would have known what he meant and understood, because Daniel tells us it was the Romans who would place the abomination if desolation. Luke tells as well that oit was the (Roman) armies surroundiong Jerusalem,
    That wasn't the AoD as it was still future when Jesus spoke.

10. Shoostie

Shoostie Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That reminds me of a joke you've probably heard.

A man is in danger of drowning. A boat comes along and tries to rescue him, but he refuses. He explains that he asked God to be rescued and he trusts God. Another boat comes by, and he again refuses aid for the same reason. He then drowns. He gets to Heaven and asks God why God didn't rescue him. God replies that he sent two boats to rescue the man, but the man refused rescue.

We have the abominable Roman armies that caused the desolation of Jerusalem, fulfilling prophecy. But, some Christians are too busy waiting on God to fulfill prophesy to see that God has already done so.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They don't believe that prophesy can be fulfilled till the end of time. Thay fail to see that it is already mostly fulfilled. The pope is Antichrist and it wasn't the reformers that first taught that, The Waldenases did, the Hussites did, the Albis did, the petrobbrusions. The Lollards did, and may others.

12. Shoostie

Shoostie Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In any case, an AoD did occur in the first century. They believe it will happen again, but they rarely use the word "again", unless forced to acknowledge history, then they fall back to talk about dual fulfillment. And, to the very end, they won't acknowledge the impossibility of it happening again. The temple of God has already been destroyed. And, Israel would nuke any army surrounding it, before they'd let that army desolate Jerusalem.

13. JoeT

JoeT Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Say, how do you address your father? You and I know that when Jesus said "call no man father" he was not referring to the successors to the Apostles or the priests. It produces some biblical problems.

We would have to consider Joseph was a heretic, he said "Not by your counsel was I sent hither, but by the will of God: who hath made me as it were a father to Pharao, . . ." [Genesis 45:8]; oops!

And then there was Job; " I was the father of the poor: and the cause which I knew not,. . ." [Job 29:16] oopsie!

What Jesus Christ was conveying that the Apostles were not to have masters or rabbis over them like those over a school of philosophy are called 'father'. This is evident when Jesus Christ first said, "But be not you called Rabbi. For one is your master; and all you are brethren." [Matthew 23:8] then follows with "Neither be ye called masters; for one is your master, Christ." [Matthew 23:10]. Why would Jesus suggest this, wouldn't it be better to have a teacher rather than start up an entire religion on your own? The reason aught to be quite clear, Jesus did send the Catholic Church a teacher, the Paraclete, Holy Spirit to answer all their questions.

JoeT

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gaviria.christian

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    It is not circular reasoning because I already gave you examples of why I believe the Torah is true, because of the prophecies the Messiah fulfilled. For example, the 490 years prophecy of Daniel. Daniel prophesied when the Messiah would be anointed, when exactly he would die, that his death would establish establish a new covenant, that after his death Jerusalem and the temple would be destroyed by the 4th kingdom, which we came to know as the Romans. Then we see how the Messiah fulfilled the appointed times of the spring of the Torah in his first coming, such as his death on the exact day and hour the Passover lamb is killed of the Torah, then his resurrection on the day of the first fruits of barley of the Torah, and then him sending his anointing on the Feast of Weeks of the Torah. And then there are many other prophecies he fulfilled spoken by the prophets. It is too much for anyone to have guessed on a whim. So because of all of this, I believe everything Yeshuah said to be true. And since I believe everything he said, which included the teaching that we should obey the Torah, therefore I obey the Torah. This is not complicated nor rocket science.

15. utilyan

Site Supporter

1 Corinthians 4

15For if you were to have countless tutors in Christ, yet you would not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel.

Thats teacher and Father in one verse.

If a person wants to be smart aleck. You can't call anyone MR. MRS. MISS nor Doctor. You can't call Jesus Good. And you have to hate your parents, kids, wife and entire family.

16. utilyan

Site Supporter

We are misunderstanding each other. I believe the Torah is true. So let me emphasize in all capital letters

You are not telling me why you decided to read the Torah THE VERY FIRST TIME YOU READ IT. While you still had no knowledge of what it is about.

Who conveyed to you OKAY rule #1 lets read the Torah.

Another example.

I am asking you: Why did you watch STAR WARS?

Your answer is: OF course I watch star wars its a great movie.

We both agree its great movie thats fine.....I'm asking what MOTIVATED you to even consider to watch it the first time?

Where did you first see the word TORAH? We both know it means first 5 books, because we were TAUGHT this. Someone would with actual Jewish knowledge would have to convey it to you.

I'm not seeing you pull teachings from scripture rather you got mishmash of maybe initial training and now you want to strike it out on your own.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JoeT

JoeT Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Too obvious was it?

JoeT

18. utilyan

Site Supporter

Some folks don't get figure of speech. I bet he doesn't think the body and blood of Jesus is the body and blood of Jesus. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. utilyan

Site Supporter

Don't ask Nazis what Jews believe.

20. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    " And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make [it] desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate." ( Daniel 9:27 ).
    I disagree.

There is only one man who will confirm a covenant with many for "one week"..."the beast".
    In the midst of the "week" ( at 3.5 years ) he will enter the temple and cause the sacrifices to cease.
    He will sit in the Mercy Seat and claim to be Jesus Christ...

The abomination of desolation.
    Hell on earth will then be turned loose for a further 3.5 years until the Lord Jesus returns, and every eye will see Him as He comes down.

#80 Dave G, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.