1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

About Modern Versions compared to the KJV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Salty, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fact that they use the KJV to teach their damnable heresy should tell you something.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Modern English but stuck somewhere between the Elizabethan and Jacobean periods coincidental with the writings of Shakespeare some folks even saying that he had a hand in the final construction of the vocabulary, grammar and syntax.

Eh?

HankD

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has been suggested (and may be a myth) that William Shakespeare was a style consultant on the poetry of the book of Psalms.

It is said that on the occasion of his 46th birthday, in 1610, the translation committee surprised him with a little gift. They gave him a copy of Psalm 46 (his age at the time) and told him to count down 46 words. He did and came to the word "shake." He was then instructed to go to the end and count back 46 words. He did and came to the word "spear."

Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
    2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
    3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof.
    4 There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.
    5 God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.
    6 The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.
    7 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.
    8 Come, behold the works of the LORD, what desolations he hath made in the earth.
    9 He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.
    10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
    11 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.

Whether a myth or not, it fits. :)

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    COOL!:)

HankD

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The HCSB went other way, was to be majority, ended up based upon the CT!

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Nasb used the critical text to update the Asv, so curious as to if there is really THAT much of a difference between the Web and the Nasv?

7. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't quite follow you on that point. Specifically, I don't know what it tells me that cults accept the KJV. Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are 19th century in origin so I attribute their insistence on the KJV to their founders. Do you care to elaborate on your point?

I always heard that the KJV was mostly Tyndale, which amazes me that one man could have been so brilliant.

I still think that Elizabethan English is the most beautiful flower in spoken and written English and that is part of what makes the KJV so beautiful.

8. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I don't necessarily see Elizabethan/Jacoban English as more beautiful than other varieties, I will say that (in my opinion) a majority of the most beautiful poetry written in English was written in those strains.

9. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure this tells us much of anything. Some good Bible-believing Christians use the KJV, some cults use the KJV (Mormons, perhaps?) and some cults do not use the KJV (Jehovah's Witnesses, e.g.). Seems to me all it tells us is that some people use the KJV and that some people do not.

#49 rlvaughn, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  10. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know if Jehovah's Witnesses use the KJV now, but they did use it in the past even as late as 1992.

For a period of time, Jehovah's Witnesses published their own editions of the KJV. In 1907, they published the Bible Students Edition of the KJV (Jehovah Witnesses, p. 606). In 1942, they purchased plates for an edition of the KJV with marginal references from the A. J. Holman Company, and printed over 1,858,000 of these KJV's by 1992 (Ibid., p. 607). They produced an edition of the KJV (perhaps the one just mentioned), which is "complete with a concordance especially designed for use by Jehovah's Witnesses in their field ministry" (Ibid., p. 93).

• Like Like x 1
  11. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that Mormons say that the KJV is good insofar as it is translated properly. Of course, they cannot win any debate on the accuracy of the Tyndale/KJV.

In the case of the Jehovah Witnesses, they publish or used to publish the KJV (as Logos 1560 states above) so that one could say that the Watchtower publishes the KJV so let's use it instead of the Watchtower translation.

The trouble with abandoning the KJV is that one is not prepared to evangelize the cults, who probably are going to consider that one's today's translation is incorrect automatically.

12. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's pretty surprising -- that some JWs were using the KJV as late as 1992 -- considering they produced their own New Testament in 1950 and the whole Bible in 1961. This is the New World Translation. I have a 1970 revision that a friend gave me in Junior High about that time, so they were using it then. This version has been updated again in 2013. On their own web site, they seem to take about the same view of the KJV as most supporters of the critical text.
    All that said, my point wasn't really about the Jehovah's Witnesses, but that cults use all sorts of Bibles, which to me doesn't prove much of anything about Bible versions.

[Note: I'm not saying you're wrong about some JW's using the KJV, just that such a practice is very odd in light of the fact that they have their own Bible that is much more supportive of their unique doctrines.]

13. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not too familiar with the Mormon view on the KJV (though I know someone I can ask), but I wonder if they're kind of "stuck" with it, seeing Joseph Smith "translated"/wrote the Book of Mormon sort of in that style of English. For example:
    Seeing they have the KJV on their web site seems to indicate their support of it.

I am confused both by the fact they would publish the KJV (see above for a quote of what they say about it) and I don't understand what you mean by "so that one could say that the Watchtower publishes the KJV so let's use it instead of the Watchtower translation."

I have not abandoned the KJV -- still use it in study and preaching -- and am not advocating that anyone do so. But I don't really see that it is the "standard" to use against cults because that is what they use. In other words, I don't think it is a given that most cults use the KJV.

14. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are some quotes on the KJV from the COJCofLDS web site, which shows their support of it, from a letter released by the First Presidency:

15. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jehovah's Witnesses also use the ASV and The Bible in Living English, both because of their more extensive use of Jehovah.

16. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe the JWs use different versions in proselytizing folks who won't accept their version??

17. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That seems to be what is described HERE.

18. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    They'll use any version that the prospect is using. I doubt many prospects are using the ASV or The Bible in Living English (that's especially true for the latter because the Watchtower Society obtained the rights to it and, to my knowledge, only published a small number of copies.)

19. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am merely saying that the Watchtower translation is not recognized by anyone other than the Watchtower and that you can say to a Watchtower missionary that the KJV is acceptable to the Watchtower based upon their past publication of it and therefore the KJV is a translation accepted by both sides, although to the detriment of the Watchtower Society, as you know.

20. AV

AV Member

Obviously cults use the KJV to give themselves credibility. But what is an interesting comparison between the KJV and newer bibles is the presuppositional nature of the underlying texts. The new bibles exalt science over the bible subjecting scripture to 'science falsely so called'.

Consider this- conceal a thing

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.