1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Adam and Eve and???

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, May 30, 2018.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not disagree.

However, I was wondering more specifically if such "life" was an indication of appointment that the redeemer would eventually give come through Eve, rather than all human life. For it is true that life is throughout creation in all living things, and therefore Eve was not the life giver of all living, but specific as the beginning heritage of who would come as redeemer.

But, that be as it may, the other question involved the use of past tense in NASB and KJV in contrast to future tense in the NIV and NLT.

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Life as in. "Ye must be born again," through the Life giving Spirit, Christ, born of woman? IE the mother of all living.

3. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Was she also the mother of all, death?

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was Incest though considered sin/a crime before the Mosaic law was given?

5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, I would certainly not apply to the word "incest" to the marital relationships of the first generations of Adam and Eve's children, although some well meaning people do so. In my opinion that is an anachronism. Second, there seems to be an idea that relations between parent and child was unacceptable during the days of Abraham and Lot. See Genesis 19:30-38. In the same time period, though, it was not only acceptable in society but also acceptable to God for Abraham to marry his sister. See Genesis 20:12. If this was an abomination, would God have called Abram? Other close-relationship marriages were common as well. Isaac married Rebekah, who was the daughter of his father's brother Nahor and his father's niece Milcah (Genesis 11:28-29).* So they were first cousins, and a little more besides. Jacob married Leah and Rachel, who were daughters of his mother Rebekah's brother. So they were first cousins also (Genesis 24:29). Leah's and Rachel's children were first cousins on their mothers' sides, and half-siblings on their father's side! (At least I think that is all correct, if I have my genealogy straight.)

The book of Genesis gives the creation account, which only included Adam and Eve. God commanded Adam and Eve to procreate and fill the earth (Genesis 1:27-28). The Genesis account follows this with the lineage of Adam and Eve and no others. We cannot create historical facts and doctrine (extra people created for the sons of Adam to marry) from silence and thin air!

* If I am reading/understanding Genesis 11:28-29 correctly, Abram's brother Nahor married his niece -- another relationship that would be unlawful under the Law of Moses.

#25 rlvaughn, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eve was taken from Adams rib - thus she had the exact same DNA as Adam. And they had children.....

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct me if I am wrong, but if she had the *exact* DNA of Adam, wouldn't she also have to have been *male*?

Perhaps better would be some divinely "genetically-modified" DNA might be more accurate?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some have posited that the "sons of God" in Genesis 6:2 could have been the source of producing women for Cain and Seth to marry. That is chronologically illogical (events happening some 1500 years after the births of Cain and Seth), but mainly in that it really solves nothing. Regardless of whom one thinks the "sons of God" were, where did all the people come from that they were marrying? Obviously, from Adam and Eve, which gets right back to the question of where Cain and Seth got their wives.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point

10. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    God just added an extra leg to the XY chromosome of Adam to form the XX chromosome of Eve. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all. You cannot prove me right or wrong.
    Not to derail the thread, but, according to Scripture, who sinned first, Adam or Eve? Sneaky Snake successfully tempted EVE first.

12. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not anything I'm gonna lose sleep over.

All any of us can do is theorize about where those wives came from. None can be proven.

Same for saying God once approved incest. That's only a guess. But I know for sure, by God's word, that HE HATES INCEST. While that doesn't disprove the theory that he once approved it, it certainly doesn't sustain it, either!

I'm just about through with the subject, unless someone can post any **PROOF** that sustains one theory or another. This has mostly come about from some KJVOs whom I proved wrong & are in a snit over it.

13. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only thing you've "proved" is, as Barney Fife would put it......"you're a nut!"

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    doesn't the Scriptures indicate that Eve was tricked, deceived, but that Adam knowingly rebelled and hence the sin came through Adam to all rather than Eve?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well put. In addition, one can infer from the decreasing longevity (human lifespans as shown in Gen. 5 down thru Moses' 120 years) that the full effects of sin and the curse apparently were not applied all at once, save for the spiritual death/separation form God, which was instantaneous. Thus the potential for genetic problems from inbreeding were less or absent in the early years following the Fall. When the curse effects were becoming problematic on this subject, God supplied Moses with those words from Leviticus.

doesn't the Scriptures indicate that Eve was tricked, deceived, but that Adam knowingly rebelled and hence the sin came through Adam to all rather than Eve?

God spoke the prohibition directly to Adam. Scripture is silent on how Eve learned of it; IMO, she heard it from Adam, which could make Adam's sin the more grievous. In any case, Romans and elsewhere make it clear that it was Adam's sin, not Eve's, that doomed humankind to eternity without God, unless they believed unto salvation.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me, that sounds like a claim that a KJV-only advocate would make. You seem to suggest that you have no responsibility to back up what you claim. You avoid dealing with other scriptural truths that would be a problem for your speculations.

The scriptures do support the view that God created only Adam and Eve and that all human beings descended from them. How would Eve be the mother of other claimed created people (Gen. 3:20)? Would a claim of additional creating of more people after the Scriptures teach that "God had ended his work of making or creating" after six days (Gen. 2:2, Exod. 20:11) be in agreement with scriptural truth? All that was in the earth was created in the six days (Exod. 20:11). Genesis 2:20 indicated that there could have been no other created people besides Adam until God made Eve. After Cain, Abel, and Seth, Adam and Eve begat a number more "sons and daughters" in the eight hundred years after the birth of Seth (Gen. 5:4). Would your reasoning suggest that God had to create mates for all them after He had already ended his work of creating in six days?

The unproven speculation of other created people would conflict with scriptural teaching about the fall of man-kind and its consequences. "In Adam all die" (1 Cor. 15:22), "by one man sin entered into the world and death by sin, and so death passed upon all men" (Rom. 5:12), "by one man's offence death reigned by one" (Rom. 5:17), "by the offence of one judgment came upon all men" (Rom. 5:18). Other claimed created people would not have been in Adam so how did death and judgment come upon them for Adam's sin?

The scriptural teaching about how all man-kind became sinners and die then ties in to how Christ, the second Adam, could provide redemption. How would Christ be the second Adam for other claimed created people who were not in Adam?

#36 Logos1560, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    roby apparently has no rebuttal. I hope he's had his eyes opened to the truth of God's Word.

18. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't prove I am right & you can't prove you're right, either. The only thing I can prove, by Scripture, is GOD HATES INCEST. So I'm not gonna waste time over it.

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    so was Abraham sinning when he married his sister? (simple yes or no will do)

• Like Like x 1
  20. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even the LAW forbidding incest was not absolute:

[Lev 18:16 NASB] 16 'You shall not uncover the nakedness of your brother's wife; it is your brother's nakedness.

[Deu 25:5-10 NASB] 5 "When brothers live together and one of them dies and has no son, the wife of the deceased shall not be [married] outside [the family] to a strange man. Her husband's brother shall go in to her and take her to himself as wife and perform the duty of a husband's brother to her. 6 "It shall be that the firstborn whom she bears shall assume the name of his dead brother, so that his name will not be blotted out from Israel. 7 "But if the man does not desire to take his brother's wife, then his brother's wife shall go up to the gate to the elders and say, 'My husband's brother refuses to establish a name for his brother in Israel; he is not willing to perform the duty of a husband's brother to me.' 8 "Then the elders of his city shall summon him and speak to him. And [if] he persists and says, 'I do not desire to take her,' 9 then his brother's wife shall come to him in the sight of the elders, and pull his sandal off his foot and spit in his face; and she shall declare, 'Thus it is done to the man who does not build up his brother's house.' 10 "In Israel his name shall be called, 'The house of him whose sandal is removed.'

What is FORBIDDEN in one situation, is COMMANDED in another.