Alcoholism: an unclean unchristian habit

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Nazaroo, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Anyone stuck on a boat cleaning up after as many animals for as long as Noah probably needs a drink. :smilewinkgrin:

2. Baptist in Richmond Active Member

I think you are giving Sarah Palin too much credit. She couldn't even finish her term as Governor.....
    :laugh:

Regards,
    BiR

3. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You betcha!:thumbs:

4. Nazaroo New Member

Thanks for the cheap shot,
    associating me with a racist friend of yours.

Maybe you should actually switch preachers,
    and find one that isn't a KKK card-carrier.

Here's a suggestion:
    If you carry on a debate honestly,
    more people will listen to you.

5. Gina B Active Member

Nazaroo, a quick google search gave a ton of links on how surroundings affect baking/yeast and adjusting accordingly. Here they are:
    http://www.thecookinginn.com/haltitude.html

http://www.sdci-inc.com/commis_patisserie.html

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5179634_temperature-making-bread-dough-rise_.html

http://www.slideshare.net/vanillagrrl/baking-at-high-altitude-its-all-about-atmospheric-pressure

As far as one of the most righteous men and it not being hard because there were only eight, there weren't only eight before the flood!

For the person who said that after cleaning up after all those animals, he'd need a drink, I have to say....EEEEWWWW!!!! LOL I do hope that the concept that a built-in system was used is true, with trough-like structures along the walls where the animals were kept that would allow the waste to be gathered and easily moved to one section. Nice, ripe fertilizer for use in those vineyards! :thumbs:

6. Nazaroo New Member

Link 1: The only noticable effect discussed re: high altitude is the more rapid expansion of the CO2 gas, physically altering the bread dough, as it rises. This hardly seems relevant to wine-strength during wine-making. The practical problems discussed and advice does indicate that altitude matters for cooking, but not for wine-making in any big way.
    I think altitude is a red-herring here.

Link 2: mentions this: "even how other more subtle changes like altitude, ambient temperature, or natural yeasts in the air affect what you do." But of course this talks about altitude and temperature as an effect on cooking, not on yeast or yeast growth/alcohol production. I am sure their advice is valid, but again, it doesn't clearly support your thesis about alcohol strength being significantly altered from the norm.

Link 3: "If the yeast is given moisture and a small amount of sugar to help it get started, it will react much more favorably to the environment and, bolstered by the energy received from the sugar, it will use the moisture to travel more quickly and ferment more of the flour. In a warm environment, the process is even more enhanced, as the metabolism of the yeast is increased and the organisms feel even more comfortable moving and eating. Cold temperatures have the reverse affect.[sic: = effect]"

Here there does seem to be a case for higher temperature speeding up the metabolism of the yeast and producing alcohol faster. This would not at all change the maximum % alcohol when the yeast died. Also, the text implies that Yeast are capable of directed mobility, whereas your own .pdf denies this absolutely! Sounds like these people need a biology lesson.

Link 4: This last educational video clearly stresses atmospheric pressure as the main problem for baking (and this makes obvious sense for items which use the CO2 production to "rise" cakes, doughs, and soffle's). But again, I can see nothing here that would indicate that Atm. pressure would dramatically affect the alcohol content in wine allowed to naturally ferment, whether it was on a mountain, at sea-level, in Iceland or in the Sahara. The only thing affected is the rate of fermentation, i.e. ,the speed of alcohol production, not the potency of the product.

Since the population BEFORE the flood was so wicked God felt it necessary to utterly destroy them all, the 'high score' for Noah's morality seems a bit tainted and artificial. It could be paraphrased as:

"Noah was a lot better than the murderers and monsters God had already decided to destroy."
    More of a consolation-prize than an honor/award

7. Gina B Active Member

Good grief Naz, it wouldn't kill you to admit when you're wrong. The evidence I'm giving actually supports your belief that strong drink is sinful and is further supported by the very real concept that
    A. The fermentation process changed after the flood catastrophe
    B. Noah was a righteous man who would have known it was a sin and likely caught off guard by these changes.

God himself says Noah was just and walked with Him. Now you're also disagreeing with the Bible? Sin is sin. I've never read anything that goes along with your proposed "consolation prize" type concept.

Anyhow, you have the evidence. I'd suggest you use it wisely because what you're using now isn't working for you or your stated position.

Especially if you're writing books on the topic for all to see. There's a seriousness in that, a seriousness which is not to be taken lightly.
    BTW as far as biology? Read the links closely and you'll see they do not disagree. Different things happen at different stages.

If you honestly feel the e-how link contains false information, you need to report that to them. We take things we put out quite seriously and an author giving inaccurate information needs to be checked out along with the editor who let the article go through without thoroughly fact-checking it before publication.

8. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note: Therefore,the high and might Naz disagrees most strenuously with the Lord's assessment of Noah.

9. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm enjoying watching Nazaroo and Gina going at it when they both start with the same false presupposition and are arriving at separate false conclusions... :laugh:

It's like 2 people arguing over who is at greater fault in the equally false view of it being a sin for women to wear pants...the company who makes women's pants or the store that sells them.

10. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll drink to that! LOL

cheers