Alcoholism: an unclean unchristian habit

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Nazaroo, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Gina B Active Member

Because it's good to try to have agreement on things of this nature as the world watches us closely. It's also good to discuss and study these things and learn things we didn't know before that could explain the scriptures to us deeper than we previously understood them.

Kinda like the argument for marijuana. I believe it's a cheap medicine that could replace other pain meds for less cost, fewer side effects and less negative impact on the body, yet most states make it illegal, although it is a plant. (yet aspirin is legal, go figure)

If we never talked about these things or spent time discussing them, we'd never have a way to back up our beliefs. And we need to know they're true, not just our own opinion. Believing what you will and then shutting up about it is counter to Christianity, which requires us to have these things out in the open and our beliefs examined in the light.

2. David Lamb Active Member

Well, I did acknowledge the possibility that the whole "definition" was a joke by including these words in my post 100 on this thread: "But perhaps the definition was posted tongue-in-cheek!"

Maybe Nazaroo could let us know if he meant as a joke that table he posted giving a definition of what it means to be an Anglican. :)

3. Nazaroo New Member

I find this claim utterly fantastic.

Please provide details, including any graphs and charts you yourself must have obviously made, in order to make this claim. A brief statement of the several environments you've conducted your experiments in would also be appropriate, to help peers assess the value of your claims.

Some simple charts specifying the ranges of temperature, humidity, and production-rates for bread-yeasts would also be essential. You must have made them, according to your claims.

Please also list any journal publications you've written on this subject, along with a synopsis of your conclusions. Your initial statement is far too vague to be of any use to other bakers. Have you got any hard data at all?

Thanks in advance
    Nazaroo

4. Nazaroo New Member

Do you really need confirmation for a joke-chart?

This link may be helpful:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LCsiWL6gn0

5. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea....from a working mom who bakes.....Yea wait for it!:laugh:

6. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea & we legislate a plant that grows wild....next, lets do a focus study on tomato plants & sunflowers.

7. David Lamb Active Member

I apologise for not "getting" your joke, and I hope you won't take what follows the wrong way, Nazaroo, as I certainly don't mean you any disrespect.

First, I am afraid I often take things seriously that the writer intends to be funny. Perhaps I am the only one who relies on the presence of a "smiley" to be sure that I know the writer is joking.

Secondly, you will know from some of the replies your posts generally elicit, that many of your beliefs seem extremely strange to others, so when you post something as a joke, others like me may well have a problem realising that it is one.

8. Gina B Active Member

Yep, between working outside the home and baking barefoot in the home for five kids, I must be one very confusing woman to some hard-core "women in their proper roles" people. :eek:

Anyone who bakes and works with fruit has this knowledge. I don't make a habit of keeping charts of everywhere I move. Why on earth would I? This is common knowledge stuff.

I have nothing published in journals that discuss my adventures in cooking and baking in the various places I have lived. These aren't "experiments," this is real life living, although some of my children may beg to differ after some of the stuff that's come out of my kitchens. :cool:

However, you do seem to be putting yourself out here as an expert on the topic, so I'll make the same request of you. Please link us to your charts, graphs and publications of yours on the matter, stating clearly if they are or are not your own. So far you appear to be avoiding anything that would back up your claims to be an author and authoritative voice on the matter. It would certainly lend you more credibility if your studies on the issue were made clear. If it's your identity you're worried about, have no fear. I've no desire to come after you because of your belief about grapes and even if I should be so inclined, rarely drive anyhow and the most violent thing I've ever done in response to someone saying something I disagreed with was look at them cross-eyed. I'm sure you can handle that from a distance, you won't even have to see it should it come to that.

Please discuss why you believe Noah, the most righteous man on earth, suddenly decided to get ripped right after being saved out of the flood with his family and why there's no chance that the catastrophic changes on earth could have had any effect on his vineyard adventures, couldn't change the presence of fungi on the grapes that would cause speedier fermentation, why elevation and oxygen has no bearing on the matter, you know, all that stuff you claim to have a good handle on because you're scientific and all that jazz.

9. jaigner Active Member

I know I'm being pejorative here, but when I say "shut up" about it, I'm not saying that we can't discuss it at all. I'm talking about all the unloving and uncaring filth that gets spewed out, like "drinking is unchristian!" Period!! End of story! Don't agree, you're wrong and you're living in sin.

I'm just tired of it. These kinds of folks think they have some leg up on the rest of Christianity, from the beginning until now, that, coming from the narrowest of paradigms, can separate the wheat from the chaff and tell the rest of us how to live our lives like good little Sunday school clones.

I agree with what you're saying for the most part, Gina, but you're not one of those that I'm talking about.

So when this stuff comes up and people say that drinking is "unclean" and "unchristian," it makes me want to vomit. And no, I'm not hungover from the Maker's Mark sour I had last night. I only had one, and it was tasty, and I feel just fine.

10. Nazaroo New Member

I'd like to see any published advice at all on adjusting one's technique in making bread to account for outside temperatures, humidity index, or altitude.
    It sounds quite fascinating.

Most of my work is in the field of solid-state physics, not chemistry.

The only thing I'm making an authoritative claim on,
    is that alcohol is an industrial solvent and systemic poison, not a food substance, by accepted scientific and medical standards. I don't see why it is even in dispute.

According to the story, Noah was only one of 8 survivors. It would be hard for him to fail the "most righteous man on earth" test.

Your own posted .pdf paper explains that yeast prefers to operate anaerobically rather than use respiration for the ATP energy-cycle. Minor variations in atmospheric oxygen should not affect a process which takes place underwater in a jar, stored in a cool place away from direct sunlight. Perhaps larger amphibians on the Ark might be moderately inconvenienced by oxygen variations.

But I would doubt the standard interpretation of the story in the first place.
    "exposed Noah's nakedness" appears to be a euphemism for his son fornicating with Noah's wife, while he was passed out.

11. Nazaroo New Member

Here's what makes me vomit:
    Lukewarm "Christians", assimilated to modern atheist/agnostic liberal lifestyles and behaviors,
    making tragically ineffective witnesses
    and hypocritical examples,
    while the largest drug problem in North America rages on completely out of control:

Alcohol linked to 75,000 U.S. deaths a year

Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASDs)

STATISTICS ON TEENS

12. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scriptural Citations ;1978 NIV

That was said a long time before the flood in Genesis 6:9 :"This is the account of Noah. Noah was a righteous man,blameless among the people of his time,and he walked with God."

Huh? Where did you unearth that data?

13. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Touche' ....now you can add to your resume that you shared vomit stories with someone...... you must be so proud. And saving the world from the evil of demon liquor.....you truly are a genius :laugh: "right"!

14. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Where do you get this from?
    The eight were: Noah and his wife; the three sons and their wives.
    All the generations of the world came from the three sons of Noah.

15. Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good question. I heard a preacher once say that "exposed nakedness" was a euphamism for having sexual relations with Noah while Noah was passed out which is why when he woke up he knew right away something was wrong. However, the same preacher would have gone so far as to say that African slavery was a direct result of that event. Some preachers you just need to have take with a grain of salt. And my IQ is far beneath Nazaroo. Maybe that's why neither you or I can consede his point there don't cha know.

16. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    got to admit, he is entertaining in a creepy sort of way! :love2:

17. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey....hats off to Sarah Palin & that banging job she did with our 50th state.:thumbs:

2 jobs that will never quit up there.....Barkeeper & Undertaker!

18. Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    At least they have Jobs up there. I would like to see the comparative stats on states that consume alcohol and either # of Jobs or unemployment numbers.

19. billwald New Member

Your map basically demonstrates that Indian People don't have the DNA to quickly metabolize alcohol.

Everyone dies of something. To say that people die of old age is to say that people die of living.

It irritates me when I read that most (fill in the blank) die of (fill in the blank). The people who die of "alcohol induced something," exactly what does anyone prefer that they die of? Cancer, for example?

And what does "induced" mean? Death statistics are faked to prove a point? Your grandmother who smoked ciggybutts visited you at Thanksgiving and Christmas? Your death was induced by 2nd hand and 3rd hand ciggybutts.

Me, I want to die from (induced) excess good food.

20. billwald New Member

> I heard a preacher once say that "exposed nakedness" was a euphamism for having sexual relations

And "laying a hand on (someone's) thigh" has nothing to do with anyone's thigh.