1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Allegorical" and "Spiritual" Hermeneutics

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by John of Japan, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Peter 3:3 knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, 4 and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation.”
    8 But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us,not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

Read what Peter wrote - one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. - was he just crazy? And he wasn't just locked up, he was crucified.

I know I have dotted out the examples Peter gives, referring to the flood, & the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. The scoffers are ungodly men who will be judged in the lifetime of this generation i.e. within 35-40 years after the Olivet prophecy. Hebrews 3 gives the same warning. But of course, he's quoting poetry so that needs "interpreting." [that's sarcasm] And Hebrews 4 shows the sword of his mouth about to smite. The forty years is nearing its end - AD 70.

I am not interpreting allegorically, I am interpreting according to the context & the allusion to Olivet comparing with Hebrews who quotes the Psalm 95 & Numbers 14.

Your reference to "various other authors" has no value in this discussion. And with reference to Rev. 20, the 1,000 years has run for 2,000 years. Does that make God slack concerning His promise?

And of course, with reference to Daniel 9, the 70 weeks ran out around AD 33 after Jesus had finished his saving work & the Jewish leaders had rejected the Apostolic Gospel & been declared uncircumcised. Say that to the average person on the street and he'll see it makes sense. (That's literal understanding.)

Tell the average person on the street that there are hundreds of weeks between week 69 & week 70 and he'll call for you to be locked up. (That's hyperbole.)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the insight.

rd

• Like Like x 1
  3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rouge means red. Glad he's figured out a color.

Shows how clueless a certain poster is I HEVE NEVER said the "rogue planet" theory is set in stone. I said it's a POSSIBILITY, and THAT cannot be disproven until/unless the events occur by another source.

4. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You still have one big prob, Captain - THOSE EVENTS HAVEN'T YET OCCURRED!

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    robycop3

I do not think...it is"committed."....
    \
    .I think the abomination is that the temple is no longer the holy place...it is left desolate:Cautious..in the first century........those in judea who observed the seventh day Sabbath were to flee out

14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:

18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.

19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!

20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

• Like Like x 2
  6. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I apologise brother,

Yes TC, thanks. I would have thought it amusing if someone had said that about one of my posts in a similar vein ,
    I don't watch Atkinson as my wife cannot stand him and Benny hill, not much of him most of which were in while on holiday in France on their TV, I suppose they like it because the humour is mostly visual.
    Not watched much Python. Th funniest thing I aw about them was an English journalist being interviewed on French TV. She was asked what the thought of montipiton? She looked blank until someone whispered in her ear, and she said "Oh Monty Python."

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Lamb of God is a metaphor. You missed my point entirely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not another Gospel if you know 1 Cor. 15:1-8.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's heavy, as we American kids used to say in the '60's. Confused

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This really doesn't answer anything I said about God communicating with us. That God wants us to be mature is a no-brainer. But that occurs through understanding the Scriptures.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My pastor is recommending the publisher connected with West Coast Baptist College, a real up and coming in fundamentalism. I'm open to other outfits though. :)

And right, the JRR Papers are at Southwestern.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is an excellent approach to grammatical historical interpretation, especially about the Bible being Jewish. I hope everyone on the thread pays attention to it.

Rhet, I'll get back to this Monday. I'm at MacDonald's with the wife, and just took a look in on the thread and in the Baptist History forum.

13. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    JoJ,

Thanks for the further endorsement. We must form a mutual admiration society. LOL!!! I will defer to you as the first president.

rd

14. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the scoffers Peter referred to were vindicated IYO - Jesus didn't keep his promise of his coming. The scoffers died still denying his coming.

All your posts are negative. Give your understanding of 2 Peter 3.

15. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, Sir, but SCRIPTURE & HISTORY prove otherwise about the AOD - Daniel 9:27.
    .27 And he will make a firm covenant with the many for one week, but in the middle of the week he will put a stop to sacrifice and grain offering; and on the wing of abominations will come one who makes desolate, even until a complete destruction, one that is decreed, is poured out on the one who makes desolate.”

The "he" in V 27 is the coming prince of V 26.

Referring to this, Jesus said, in Matt. 24:15 “Therefore when you see the abomination of desolation which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand), 16 then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains.

Yes, Jesus said, "Let the reader understand", as He knew His words would be recorded. So, we understand the AOD will be the "man of sin" setting up his statue in the temple, and proclaiming himself to be God, & demanding to be worshipped. Such an event has simply not happened since Jesus was here.

And the Jews had plenty of time, some eight months, to flee Jerusalem between the Roman sieges of Vespasian, then, Titus. So, the need for quick flight is still a coming event

16. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, Jesus has NOT yet returned, which is an obvious a fact as there is!

As for 2 Peter 3, those scoffers are here now, denying that Jesus will return. And they'll continue to come til Jesus does return. As for the "day of the Lord " Peter mentione, it'll be after Jesus has returned & the millenium is over.

17. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Must of not been quick enough, 1.1 million Jews died. I think you need to rethink a little.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The prince was never the subject, how can the He be the prince?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Now is that after the rogue planet comes to earth to cause plagues?

On his white horse, or when he touches down on the mount of olives?

• Like Like x 1
  20. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My fault, I type to quick sometimes. Maybe the rouge planet will be the rogue planet.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.