1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Allegorical" and "Spiritual" Hermeneutics

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by John of Japan, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, not memorials of sin. Memorials of His sacrifice at Calvary, similar to the Lord's Table.

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There bis nothing like the Lord's Table as it is a command from the Lord Himself,
    • Luke 22:15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:
    • 16For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.
    • 17And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:
    • 18For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.
    • 19And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.
    • 20Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.
    Nowhere does he say build another temple in remembrance of me.

The church is the temple now, do you not understand that? No need for any future temple.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. Just as the church building is not "the church", the millennial structure of the temple will not be "the temple" of God.

HankD

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This begs the question. You seem to be saying that Peter was crucified for saying what he did about the day and the 1000 years.

Question: Was Peter talking about a literal 1000 years versus a literal one day? Of course he was, otherwise the whole logical progression is suspect. And just because to God, 1000 years is as a day, does not mean that to us the same thing is true. Just because God, existing outside of the space-time continuum which He Himself created, can look at the whole scope of history at once, does not mean that we can do the same.

The sad thing is that you are interpreting allegorically and don't even know it. (This term does not mean that you interpret everything with an allegory, but that you do not interpret literally, but put a "spiritual" meaning above the literal meaning, according to Origen's method.)

You say you interpret Rev. 20 according to the context. Look again. In the context, the term "a thousand years" occurs no less than six times!! So you are ignoring the context completely when you say, "The day, the thousand years, will amount to 35-40 years." There is no basis whatsoever in the context to say that 1000 = 35-40.
    Look again. I didn't say that. I quoted A. T. Robertson, the greatest Koine Greek scholar of the 20th century, as saying that. He was amillennial, rejecting both the postmil and premil positions. (In spite of that, I highly recommend that you find his Word Pictures in the New Testament and consult it often. It is available for free in e-sword and other software packages, being in the public domain.)

Again, Robertson's point: there are many different interpretations of the 1000 years, if you are amil or postmil. Why is that? Because every interpreter who interprets allegorically/spiritually interprets not from the text but from his own opinion. My point: if you interpret literally, there is only one possible meaning to the 1000 years: 1000 years!!
    Again, you miss the point of my tongue-in-cheek comment. The average person on the street interprets everything literally. He would interpret Daniel's weeks as literal weeks, then try to figure out what in the world Daniel meant (not an easy task). He or she does not look for secondary, "spiritual" meanings on the job, at the store, in the doctor's office, from his family, etc. The very idea is ridiculous.

I've dealt with many dozens of new believers in Japan, America, and other countries. Not a single one ever said to me, "But shouldn't we interpret the Bible spiritually instead of literally?" No, they interpret literally until some Internet dingaling tells them otherwise.

Patient--"Doc, tell it to me straight. Do I have cancer?"
    Doctor--"Verily, there is an evil scourge within you. I say unto you, thou must repent and receive succor for thy temple, or face judgment upon thy temple."

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church (and individual believers) as a temple is in the church age. The 1000 years is a different dispensation, so there are different paradigms, the millennial temple being one of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Easy! Scripture says the new heavens/earth will come after the millenuim. I didn't use any hermeneutical system, but merely read Scripture & put 2 and 2 together.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yerp! There has to be a temple for the AOD to be committed in, and it was not committed in the two previous ones.

8. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know why - the preterists simply CANNOT provide any EVIDENCE to support their doctrine; therefore they toss out red herrings, hoping the readership will forget that FACT!

OK, then, let's get back on it!

Preterists, can you provide ANY proof that the eschatological events your doctrine SAYS have happened, have REALLY already happened???????????????????????

If not, can you give us any AUTHORITY for your belief?????????????????????????????

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Roby the thread title is :
    "Allegorical" and "Spiritual" Hermeneutics

You are obsessed with preterism so you force every thread to stray from its intention. If we all decided to ignore you, we could have more meaningful, on-topic discussions.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You nailed it. :D

Ho, hum. I think I'll take an Internet nap while we wait for that answer, which never comes no matter how many times we ask it.

11. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No - you threatened me with being locked up. Your understanding according to context is limited.

12. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Allegorical" & "spiritual" hermeneutics are two tools used by preterists to attempt to lend some credence to their doctrine, so any discussion of these hermeneutics must necessarily involve preterism.

And "ignore" is a COWARD'S tool, used by those who can't answer questions in a given forum or thread.

13. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 1500 Pacific\2300 GMT.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I threatened you? Really? Are you that void of understanding of hyperbole?

Now will you please actually interact with what I have written?

Again, here is just one question out of my points you have not answered: Was Peter talking about a literal 1000 years versus a literal one day? Or something else?

15. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know you weren't asking me, but I think we're looking at a figure of speech called an antithesis: the use of an opposite to highlight a point. He's contrasting a very long time with a very short time to make the point that God is not bound by time. He could have said, "A year to God is like a second;" he certainly did not intend to be taken literally IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    John,

Email me or PM me and let us talk about help I might be on the John R. bio, when possible please.

rd

17. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread has been an encouragement to me.

More then once I reflected, “oh, yes, that’s right, I remember that now,” as a Scripture was quoted and proper evidences shown.

• Like Like x 2
  18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent. Your mother taught you well.

Granted, Peter was making the point that God is not bound by time, and using antithesis to do that. But antithesis must be based on things that actually exist. So I disagree that Peter did not intend to be taken literally. The antithesis he gave could not exist if there were not a real, literal thing as 1000 years, and a real, literal thing called a day. Otherwise, the antithesis has no meaning.

If I were to say, "A ganglof is as a fiple to God," then that would be meaningless because those two items do not exist. I made them up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Seriously John, I know, Its mostly my fault for derailing it, by responding to Robycop3.
    I apologize.

• Like Like x 1
  20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a problem. We have had a lot of good discussion on this thread.
    I weep for you metaphorically with :Cry, but not literally. :Whistling

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.