American 'Christianity' Has Failed

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Crabtownboy, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guess trusting in Jesus mean to him giving the terrorist a nuke, and sing trust in jesus while it goes off!

2. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Christ never taught this, in fact he commanded his disciples to own a short sword which was a defensive weapon, the equivalent of a handgun in today's weaponry.

Luke 22:36 Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

Scripture has also never spoken badly of walls or borders. And come to think of it, the more walls the less weapons that are needed.

3. Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't use proof texts to attempt try to prove a point while ignoring all the teachings of Christ on how we are to treat others and how we are to feel toward our enemies.

You are also assuming that the sword was for defense against people. Maybe it wasn't. Maybe its use was for somehting else.

As I have said a number of times, I will not let fear control my life.

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. 1 John 4:18

4. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I can't exclude the verses I don't like. If Christ says buy a weapon and be ready, that's good enough for me. It doesn't contradict anything else He's said.

BTW, "turn the other cheek" is a reference to insult not violence.

5. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chuck Norris seems to be a "fighting christian"

6. Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well you sure did not include them. I'd call that excluding them and using a proof-text to falsely try to prove a point. The one time a disciple pulled a sword, what was Jesus' reaction and what did he say?

7. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He said that if you live by the sword you die by the sword. "live by the sword" is an idiomatic phrase denoting the idea of living a violent life to promote your cause. Much different than self defense, and protecting your family from intruders. Christ was telling Peter that his idea of a violent ushering in of the kingdom was not what Christ was doing (unlike popular thought at the time). This fits perfectly with Christ telling you and I to own a weapon just in case. Owning a sword just in case is not the same as living by the sword.

BTW, if it were true that guns are not allowed in self-defense, you'd be prohibited from call the police. Think about it. Calling the police means calling people with guns. If you truly are anti-gun, you'll never call the police.

8. Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you lock your door at night? If so, do you do it because you are afraid, or because you think it prudent?

9. Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I don't nor in the day.

10. Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And if we lived as Christ taught there would be no need of a sword, a weapon of any kind to use against others.

There are many teachings of Christ on how we are to treat each other. I know of no teaching by Christ that says we are to hate others.

Illogical and blowing smoke by bringing in another topic.

11. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yet Jesus said just the opposite. He said there'd be wars and rumors of wars. He said buy a sword. Just look at what happens to the saints in the book of Revelation.

Yes, but the new testament clearly says we're to hate evil and hate sin, while the old testament says do not trade insult for insult and if your enemy is hungry feed them. There's no change as far was basic moral principles. Jesus wasn't rebuking the old testament he was rebuking men's word which has perverted the old testament.

12. carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not as much of an indication of faith as it is foolishness.

13. HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems the o/p was started by quoting scripture but then folks were chastised for quoting scripture in return.
    Hmm, no comment.

Here is a text:

Matthew 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

The followers of the "prophet" Mohammed who practice al taqqiya perfectly fit this description.
    It is they who are cowardly using the refugee innocents as a Trojan horse shield and in fact even boasted about that strategy to come here and murder us.
    It is they who are responsible for our defensive action.

Jesus left it up to me as to how to deal with these wolfish murderers.

One way is by not allowing them the possibility of coming into my country via the ballet box.

HankD

14. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John the Baptist did not tell roman soldiers to put do their weapons, but to collect taxes correctly!

15. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or could do as Israel was commanded to do by God, destroy them! if we found out a large group of just them were assembled in Syria, dropping a big bomb on themn could gety them to their allenged paradise/virgins that much quicker!

16. HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Y, you are definitely a hawk!
    :)
    HankD

17. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thepresident should allow th terrosists 24 hrs to all gather together, adn carpet bomb the lot, as we would be allowing them to die as marters for allah!

18. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And it was born-again Christians who fought in the CSA

and it was Evangelical Christians who fought against the ERA

So what is your point?

19. Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Totally correct Salty.

And it was born-again preachers who defended slavery and northern preachers who preached anti-slavery sermons.

It was born-again folk who voted heavily for the non-Christian Trump. Well, they will have plenty of time to repend in the future.

20. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, God raises up the lers, so ar we to blame God for Trump then?