An answer to the sinless day

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jun 17, 2007.

1. npetreley New Member

Amen and amen. And amen, too.

2. saturneptune New Member

I hope not, because plenty here would do it.

3. mcdirector Active Member

Mean Saturn, Mean . . .

4. Dale-c Active Member

And a few more amens!!!

Like I said, this is a works vs grace issue, like so many.
    It is the foundation that they all come back to.

5. Diggin in da Word New Member

You must have missed where we said it is not our own power, where we said one must submit to God and walk in the Spirit. One cannot keep from sin on one's own. But Christ can keep one from sin.

6. npetreley New Member

Bzzt. Wrong. Speaking only for myself, I say it must be possible. But does that mean sinless? That's not what it says. It says we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. It doesn't say we'll never have an impure thought. In fact, it doesn't even say we won't HAVE lusts.

Even if it went that far, does that mean we can claim we actually walked in the Spirit so perfectly that we were sinless? How can you claim such a thing? How do you know you're walking in the Spirit so perfectly that even the least little self-deceiving error did not taint your thoughts for a moment?

Don't you see the arrogance in that claim? It's self-righteousness once removed and a contradiction in terms. "I'm not sinless but I'm so good at walking in the Spirit that I am sinless." ;)

7. Diggin in da Word New Member

This is not a works verses grace issue. It has to do with obedience. Submitting to God and dying to self. Not letting the sin nature rule, but rather the Christ nature.

8. npetreley New Member

Like I said, "I'm not sinless, but I'm so good at submitting to God and walking in the Spirit that I can be sinless for X minutes/hours/days."

Right.

9. mcdirector Active Member

Everyone is saying we have to submit and walk in the spirit! Everyone!

10. blackbird Active Member

Now---that doesn't mean we can "slip back" into perdition----doesn't mean that we can just have a "free for all--do what you want to do because now its grace and not works" type mentality

We are saved "unto lives of obedience" --- we are to obey Him as children --- and enter into what I call "His(Jesus') religion!"

What IS Jesus' religion???Want to know what religion Jesus practiced??

Here it is

"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, . . . to keep himself unspotted from the world."---James 1:27(emphasis added)

Question begs---God will not allow us to approach Him---spotted by the world----which spot is upon you?? Confess it--forsake it--repent of it---now!!!

11. npetreley New Member

Exactly. But only a few are saying that they can do it so well that they can go without sin for X minutes/hours/days/years/etc. If God didn't impute righteousness to us, I'd love to see their "sin scale" compared to God's "sin scale". I'm willing to bet theirs isn't calibrated the same way.

12. Diggin in da Word New Member

It certainly does say that we will not sin when we are walking in the Spirit. Sin is a product of giving in to the lust of the flesh. If we are walking in the Spirit, we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

13. Dale-c Active Member

absolutely. that is the other extreme

14. mcdirector Active Member

I agree. I saw the phrase works vs grace and I just had to point out that no one is saying anything different from We submit to a walk led by the Holy Spirit .

15. npetreley New Member

Jesus said that if we even lust after a woman we've commited adultery in our hearts. It isn't just fulfilling lust that's wrong, it's having it.

16. blackbird Active Member

Yes, but to which extreme would you be most likely to "hang around"???

17. Dale-c Active Member

Neither. If you fall off of a tight rope, it is the same distance to the ground no matter which side you fall off of.

18. Joined:
    May 18, 2006
    Jesus said if you are lukewarm, He will spue you out of His mouth. You cannot straddle the fence.

You either drink of the Lord's cup or the devil's table but you cannot have both.

As to the tightrope analogy, one will not fall to the ground if trusting in the Lord. The Lord will catch that one.

19. Dale-c Active Member

Who was this to? I sure haven't seen anyone straddling the fence on this issue.

20. Joined:
    May 18, 2006
    You haven't seen anyone riding the fence?

Tell you what Dale, if you give me the name of your home town, I can get some of my doctor colleagues to set you up with an appointment with an Optometrist there.