An Examination of Revelation 1:7: Futurism vs. Preterism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Logos1, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Logos1 New Member

I don't see a problem with these events happening at 70 AD.

Is that what you are asking do I see them happening at 70AD or in the future?

2. mandym New Member

The weakest argument I have ever seen. It could be said that one must suspend reality to believe in a literal and physical resurrection of Christ. But where God is involved then I have no problem believing that Christ could rise from the grave, the earth was flooded by water, Four men survived the furnace of a King, and angel spoke with Daniel, a serpent spoke with Eve, or Jesus physical return will be seen by all.

3. Logos1 New Member

mandym

feel free to think so--your belief won't change anything one way or the other. And, your not having any scriptural argument to back up your beliefs won't persuade anyone searching for answers only those whose mind is already made up.

4. mandym New Member

What? Did you read your op?

5. Logos1 New Member

sure did--don't see any problem with it--do you have any particular problem with it other than just being in denial of it in general--which is your choice and of no concern of mine.

6. mandym New Member

You need to hold yourself to your won standard

7. Logos1 New Member

LOL, did you read your own post--I agree I have a winning standard here in full preterism and recognizing the second coming has already taken place. It may take you to heaven to agree, but I'm sure you will agree with me one day--don't worry though I won't hold any earthly disagreements against you over on the other side.

8. mandym New Member

Oh, I assumed I was talking with an adult. Take care young person. God Bless

9. Logos1 New Member

LOL, Good bye old person have a great day and God bless.

10. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Is it out in left field? Those who deny the literal coming of Christ are out in left field IMO; a fundamental teaching of our faith.
    Look, I don't know what your credentials are. I have been a pastor/Bible College teacher for over 30 years. In that time I preached verse by verse through the book of Revelation, ending up with a commentary of over 500 pages. That makes me more than qualified to speak on this subject.

All the commentaries and evidence that I have come across have attested that the author is the apostle John, as does the internal evidence itself, where John identifies himself.
    I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. (Revelation 1:9)
    --Your opinion vs. the Word of God.
    I believe the Word of God; not your opinion. It, no doubt has a value of less than 2 cents, your opinion that is.
    Let's look at one of those verses:

I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan. (Revelation 2:9)
    --There was constant persecution by the Roman government.
    --There was also persecution by some of the Jews. There always was. Remember the persecution by Saul before he became Paul. He was zealous in his persecution of the Christians. The hatred of Christ reached a zenith at the time of the crucifixion of Christ. Read Paul's missionary journeys. In every city he went he was chased out by gospel-hating Jews. They are described here as "synagogues of Satan," places of teaching that taught hatred against Christianity, such as we find in the Book of Acts. It took place in the book of Acts, if you would dare to read and study that book. It took place in the time of Saul, later called Paul, if you would dare to read his testimony.
    No, you have made it easy for me.
    You don't have a leg to stand on except your own opinion.
    You discount the very testimony of the Word of God, and say that your opinion has greater authority than God's Word. That is truly sad.

11. lastday New Member

The End of Time

Logos1,
    In post #92, you leave the impression that I am a full preterist. This is duplicitous.
    Quote:
    Any times dates are being bantered around Mel shows up like a certain mythological creature coming out on a full moon. I love it!

Why Mel that’s almost enough to make me wonder who’s side you are on in these little debates—we full preterists have to stick together against those futurist heathen!

“Your understanding of the inspiration of Scripture is utterly astounding!” Mel

Why thank you Mel!

P.S. Hmm, do you have any new dates for us today Mel!
    You assume the "End of Time" refers to the end of the Old Covenant and that it took place in 70 AD. The Old Covenant ended at the Cross.
    Here is my take on the Endtime:

The Meticulous Exactness of God's Prophetic Plan...Daniel's 70 Sets of Seven Years

Twelve years ago, during Shavuot (Pentecost), I posted the Centerpiece of Lastday events that
    will occur on the day Christ returns in glory with all the Saints to redeem Israel and restore her
    as "His People" the 2nd time. Hosea's prophecy will be fulfilled in a single day of Redemption.

Yesterday, on the 2nd day of Shavuot (Sivan 7, 5771; June 9, 2011), the Lord led me to discover
    the exactness of 70 Sevens or 490 years. Sixty-nine sets (483 prophetic years) were fulfilled on
    Palm Sunday, the last day of 68 sets of solar sevens (476 years from 444 BC to 33 AD). The solar
    days in 68 sets of seven was 173,859 from Nisan 30 of 444 BC to Nisan 9 of 33 AD. Only by using
    68 sets of solar sevens could there be a whole number of 24-hour days in which to fulfill the 69
    sets of Prophetic Sevens...or 173,880 days between Sunday, Nisan 30, 444 BC and Sunday, Nisan
    30 of 33 AD.

However, 21 days of the 69 Prophetic Sets of Seven (Nisan 9 to Nisan 30 of 33 AD) were not
    fulfilled. Palm Sunday occurred on Nisan 9 of 33 AD. Christ was "cut off" five days after Palm
    Sunday, on Friday, Nisan 14; Dan.9:26. So the 173,859 days of 68 sets of solar sevens ended on
    Nisan 9, 33 AD...not Nisan 30 which would have been 173,880 days. Since 1999, until yesterday,
    I have wondered how these 21 unfulfilled days fit into God's overall Prophetic Plan.

In the Hebrew calendar countdown for the 70th Set of Seven years (367 weeks or 2569 days),
    there will be 14 uncounted days more than the Gregorian solar days (365 weeks or 2555 days).
    Adding 21 and 14 produces 35 uncounted days...the same number of 35 extra days between our
    365 solar Gregorian weeks of 2555 days (7x365) and 360 Prophetic weeks of 2520 days (7x360).
    While the 2555 solar days will be "cut short" by 35 days to that of 2520 days, the total number
    of 2569 days for the Hebrew countdown will be exactly fulfilled between the Feast of Tabs on
    Tishri 15 at the start and finish of the final 7-Year Period (70th "7") of God's Prophetic Plan.

These 3 uncounted weeks of the first 69 sets of seven years and 2 uncounted weeks of the
    70th set of seven years equal the difference between 360 Prophetic and 365 solar weeks. At
    the same time the final set of seven has two solar leap-year days so that there are 2557 days
    or 365 weeks plus the two leap days. Without the extra leap day there could not be a whole
    number of 24-hour days in 7 years. A period of 365.25x7 cannot produce a whole number of
    24-hour days.Only God's Plan could provide such meticulous exactness. It takes the extra leap
    day to provide the exact number of solar days and the exact difference of 35 days or 5 weeks.

The 35 uncounted days (365 minus 360 weeks) between a Gregorian and Prophetic countdown,
    plus the 14 uncounted days between the Hebrew and Gregorian calendars (2569 minus 2555),
    equal the 49 extra days between the Hebrew and Prophetic countdown (367 minus 360 weeks).
    The extra 49 days are required by the 2569 days from Tishri 15 to start the final 7 years on a
    Saturday and end the period 7 years later on Tishri 15, also a Saturday. This setting allows the
    final Jubilee to fulfill Lev.23:34-36,39 on the Day of the Lord at the Feast of Tabernacles and
    launches the Millennial Reign of Christ over the entire world.

Perhaps the most astounding revelation of all is that 46 of the extra 49 days will precede and
    anticipate the start of the final 360 weeks (70th Seven) of Prophetic time!

Then, 1260 days (180 weeks) further into the 70th "7", the 1306th day (46+1260) of 2569 days,
    1. The Two Witnesses (who stand against the Beast), will begin to prophesy during the 2nd
    half of 2520 days that Daniel calls the "Endtime" period.
    2. They will perform any miracle they wish, including the total prevention of rain and kill all
    who seek their death UNTIL the 2566th day of the 2569 Hebrew days.
    3. They are killed by the Beast on the 2520th day of the 70th Seven of Prophetic time!!

They will arrive from heaven on the 7th day of Passover Week of Unleavened Bread, will
    prophesy 1260 days, be left dead 3 days to finish the 49 extra days that bracket the entire
    Prophetic Period of 360 weeks and fulfill all but 26 or 27 days of the solar period of 365
    weeks. The solar days of the 70th Seven will be "cut short" from 2555 days (365 weeks cut by
    35 days) and the Prophetic days will be completed in 2520 days...3 or 4 days before Christ
    appears with all the Saints to redeem Israel at the Feast of Tabs and place His former People
    at the head of the nations for 1000 years!!!

The exactness of God's 490-Year Prophetic Plan demonstrates what He alone could have
    accomplished. Sixty-nine sets of Prophetic Sevens (483 years) had to be fulfilled within 68
    sets of solar sevens (476 years; 365.25x68x7 or 173,859 days) so as to produce an exact number
    of 24-hour days but which left 21 of 173,880 Prophetic days unfulfilled! The 70th set of 365
    Gregorian weeks (2555 days or 7x365) was cut short by 35 days (to encapsulate 2520 Prophetic
    days or 7x360)!! These 35 days combine the 21 unfulfilled Prophetic days of the first 69 sets of
    Prophetic Seven with the 14 uncounted Hebrew calendar days that bracket the 365 Gregorian
    weeks as well as the 360 Prophetic weeks of the 70th set of seven!!!

Yet, at the same time, God will exactly fulfill 7 Lunar Years on the Hebrew calendar so that
    its 2569 days encompass the 365x7 Gregorian days (2555)! The 35 unfulfilled solar (2555-2520)
    days, plus the 14 extra Hebrew days (2569-2555), also allows fulfillment of the 70th Prophetic
    Seven and leaves 46 of 49 days to precede and 3 days to follow the Prophetic countdown!!
    Skillfully, the Almighty has left us with an UNKNOWN last day so Christ may appear either 3
    or 4 solar days after the Prophetic count is terminated at the deaths of His two Prophets!!!

They "finish their task of demonstrating His Kingdom Power" on a Wednesday, Tishri 12 (day
    #1260), and rise up to heaven on Saturday, Tishri 15 (day #1263); for Jesus must "raise up all
    believers on the last day" to fulfill John 6:38-40,44,54! But "no one knows" whether Jesus will
    appear on day #1263 or #1264 with all the saints to redeem Israel on Saturday...or on Sunday
    during the Twilight Hour of Tishri 16!! That "day" of His Revelation not only launches a 1000-
    Year Day of the Lord; but also executes the Wrath of God Almighty on the wicked and begins
    Israel's Jubilee Celebration...and, on day #1335, sees their Millennial Temple dedicated at
    Hanukkah!!!

Note: Daniel's day #1290 is the 2550th solar day after starting the countdown of the 70th "7"
    and the 30th day after the 1260 day task of the two Prophets is finished! As part of the 365
    Gregorian weeks, the 2555 days are cut short...first by five days so that the 1290 days fit into
    the 43 thirty-day months of "time, times and half a time"; and 2nd by 30 days to make up the
    35 unfulfilled days between 360 Prophetic weeks and 365 Gregorian weeks!! But the 1290 days
    will also be cut short by 26 or 27 days depending on whether Christ appears with all the saints
    to redeem Israel on their Saturday or at the beginning of their Sunday!!!
    Mel Miller

12. lastday New Member

Some Standing "HERE"

MY RESPONSE TO LOGOS:
    When Jesus spoke of those standing "HERE". He was projecting His thots to the End of Time when He is about to come in glory and to THOSE standing (t)here who will survive until the last one who "must be killed has been killed"!

There can not be an END to Chronos Time nor Kairos Time until the last
    Believer has been killed. THEN and then alone will Christ come to rescue
    all who survive to the END!!

You assume Jesus was talking about those living at the time He spoke.
    He clearly stated the time in question is when He is about to come (mellow) in glory with the angels to gather all the Saints to Himself...including those
    who pierced Him...for every Believer who pierced Him will see Him coming or
    be included among those who "come with Him". Matt.16:27-28; Rev.1:7

Mel Miller

13. revmwc Well-Known Member

You have failed to explain most of the scripture I have posted. But lets go back to the I come quickly or these must come to pass shortly.

2 Peter 3: 7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Again God's timetable is not ours. He sees a 1000 years as 1 day, in Daniel 70 weeks of days was 70 periods of 7 years. Teh last of which has yet to be fufilled, the fulfillment seen in the book of Revelation chapter 7 to chapter 19 the 7 years culminating with the return of Christ at His second advent.
    1 day to the Lord is as a Thousand years and 1000 years as one day. You keep scoffing at the 1000 years and yet God said that he is not slack in His promises but is long suffering to mankind not willing that any should perish but all come to repentence. God is patient in allowing mankind to come to salvation, and to him 2000 years is nothing, actually to him a million years would be nothign since it all equals eternity to Him. Since 1 day is as a thousand years and a thousand years one day that means Christ will return shortly or quickly in God timetable not man's.

To say well shortly means in a few days or year or two in man's time makes very little sense. That would mean man Limits What God can do time wise. Limiting Him to human standards and ways not as an Omniscience, Omipotent and Omnipresent God who works on His time Table.

Logos go ahead and limit God to human things instead of spiritual things. I won't Limit God I will trust what He has revealed in His word by the Person of the Holy SPirit.

14. revmwc Well-Known Member

Go back to Daniel 12:11 And from the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days.
    1290 days the Abomination will stand, God tells us exactly how long it would stand and that is 3 1/2 years.
    Matthew 24: 14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains

Again Christ says it would stand in the Holy place as Daniel prophisied.

Again the scripture speaks for itself, The Abomination Stands in the Holy Place Christ says and Daniel says for 3 1/2 years it will stand. Not the temple being destroyed.

Now let's examine the passage again about the generation, Matt24:
    32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Look again at verse 33 those who see these things, what things, the signs of the beginning of the end and the signs of the end. This would include those30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

The generation that will pass away will see the sign of the Son of Man in Heaven coming in the clouds of heaven. That would be as seen in Revelation 19:
    11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

13And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

17 And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God;

Christ at the second coming comes as conquering King and as He speaks the enemies are cut down by Christ speaking, the words of condemnation are the sword from His mouth.
    As for Noah's day Noah and the eight were born up above the earth in the Ark protected by God while the destruction of the Earth took place, they were protected from going through the judgement just as the church has Christ promise to keep us from the time of tempation (the tribulation).

15. thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    mandym,

In post #49 I wrote basically the same thing. I felt bad about it at the time but it's a valid conclusion based on what I read by that poster.

Try to stick with the Scriptures and historical fact but it becomes a frustrating experience. It is basically one of several intrepritations on what Logos1 would call "time texts" and his whole theological world revolves around it.

One of his theological brethern put me on his ignore list. WOW, how mature. Not because I'm some sort of mean person but rather because I argue from the Scriptures and fact.

16. Site Supporter

Logos1, how does 2 Peter 3:10-13 fit your theology?

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
    (2Pe 3:10-13)