1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

And Now, the Antichrist!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by John of Japan, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, good grief, you still called me a liar.

I read what you write for debate. I thought that was what we were here for. Care to debate? How about the imperfective verbal aspect of "antichrist shall come" in 1 John 2:18? If you don't know what that is (it wasn't taught when I first took Greek), stretch yourself. Learn.

2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should I have said that the Antichrist was the last human enemy of Christ? I thought that was evident.

3. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apology accepted. I don't usually rebuke people. I believe that people should have their say. I will say if I don't agree with them.
    On another board I have been called an heretic, a false teacher and worshiping a different god because they think I am a Calvinist. I have never reported any one on there. I have only ever reported anyone and that was when I was called a "buddy of Satan"

I try to be polite, but I guess I slip now and again as most do.

• Like Like x 1
  4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Dr. Kantzer was your uncle? Awesome!

On the other side of the coin, I have a missionary friend whose uncle was Clark Pinnock. :confused:

#64 John of Japan, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, that's really harsh. :( Fortunately, the BB is moderated better than that.

We all have our slippery days.

• Like Like x 1
  6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why in the world would I think the majority is right? I simply threw a thought out there to bolster my position, and now you guys are making a big deal about it. I didn't understand your point because...well, it made no sense to me in the context of the discussion.

Now, would you care to get the thread back on track? I've made quite a few unanswered points about the final Antichrist.

7. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, we are not all Greek scholars, so please give us a break. We are all Christians and we should treat everybody as such.
    Remember that all beliefs on prophecy are only interpretations. The Jews got most prophecies wrong and I guess that we have as well. I once discussed one prophecy with a pastor and he said "I am not wrong" (he wouldn't have agreed with any of us,) I replied "We cannot all be right, but we can all be wrong." I do believe that,

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I am taking a break from your condescension and thin-skinned overreaction. I'll skip this class. I have more important things to do than argue with you. Any challenges to your belief system is taken personally.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Concerning the "Beast" of Revelation being the Antichrist, consider the following facts:

1. He "makes war" against the two witnesses of Christ (11:7). This certainly makes him an antichrist, if not "the" Antichrist.
    2. So what makes him "the" Antichrist (capital A)? As a futurist, looking at Rev. 4-22 as unfulfilled, the Beast is the obvious choice.
    3. The Beast receives power from the Red Dragon, which is Satan (13:2). So Satan empowers him to oppose Christ--the Antichrist.

So basically, since 1, 2, 3 John are epistles, to simply use a descriptive and literal term--Antichrist--is fitting. However, John's Revelation is apocalyptic literature, so it is packed with figures of speech and over the top rhetoric. Therefore, "The Beast" is an apocalyptic way for John to refer to the character he had previously called "the Antichrist" (with the singular definite article, indicating one person), who "shall come" (present deponent verb with the imperfective aspect--he's on his way, but hasn't arrived yet).

#69 John of Japan, Nov 30, 2017
  10. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It ought to bother all of us. Remember the old ditty, "Only one life, shall soon be past, only what's done for Christ will last."

I have no idea what you have done.

No, but you can determine to continue your education now, going forward. I got my last degree when I was 55. It's never too late to learn.

I don't recall anyone suggesting you do so. All I posted was some things about my uncle. I never mentioned you. But on that subject, I quit my job and started seminary when I was 30 years old, with a wife and kids and everything. I worked full time and went to school full time. My wife also worked full time. It was a sacrifice on both of our parts. After I completed that part of my education my wife went back to school and received her Ed.D. when she was 50 years old.

We should be evaluating our service for Christ every day.

I'm sorry, but that is just a personal attack. Nobody has said they are in awe of anyone because of "a bunch of letters by their name." I made it clear to an unbiased reader that the man's lifetime of service to Christ was what I was in awe of. His willingness to sacrifice. He was 34 with a wife and 2 kids when he finally received his Ph.D. from Harvard.

Don't be intimidated because people have chosen a more difficult educational or service path than you. God uses all different kinds of people in His service.

But try not to denigrate those who have chosen the path less traveled. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure what 2000 year gap in Daniel you are referring to, and I certainly don't know how a literal interpretation of the Bible can be "unbiblical."

As for the "prince that shall come," that is within the prophecy of the AD 70 destruction of Jerusalem and the temple. Therefore, it is prophesying a Roman. Cross referencing that with the "seven mountains" (clearly Rome) of the Beast in Rev. 17, and we have the Antichrist in Daniel.

It's not a hill I would die on, but I believe it to be a valid interpretation.
    Sure I can discredit them. As unbelievers, they do not have the Holy Spirit within them, so therefore they cannot experience the illuminating work of the Holy Spirit. I don't trust any Jewish interpreters who are not born again.

#71 John of Japan, Nov 30, 2017
  12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good! Since you are not all Greek scholars, then you can learn from Greek scholars, just as I do. :) My problem is with those who constantly denigrate my posts when I bring up the Greek. That's just dumb. If the NT was written in Greek, then Greek is vital to understand it. Translations are never authoritative.

Okay.

13. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to let everybody know, the only certificates I have ever had are food Hygiene certificates, updated every three years, my current is higher level.

But I do study the bible.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great. Then we'll get along without your allegorizing interpretations and full preterist views. ;)

And now I can point out to everyone that you have no answer for my interpretation of the "coming" (imperfective aspect) Antichrist (with definite article) in 1 John 2:18.

15. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hitler was a papist through and through. His main adviser was von Papen who was the pope's man amongst the top Nazis. The wartime pope was the Papal nuncio in Berlin before the war. Hitler was a choirboy in Linz Cathedral which is where, it is said, that he first saw the swastika on the ceiling of the cathedral. If you can find a copy in a library, I suggest you read The Vatican Against Europe. by Edmund Paris a French Catholic. One chapter is The Pope Created Hitler.
    Edmund Paris gives documentation on all his claims. Chick said he was murdered by the papists.

Hitler made a concordat withe the Vatican and it lasted throughout the war. Hitler based the SS on the Jesuits. Von papen was tried at the Nuremburg war crimes tribunal but the pope got him off and later made him the Papal Chamberlain.
    Paris showed pictures of German bishops blessing Nazi emblems

16. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hitler used the Catholic church to aid his rise to power and once he was Fuhrer, he tossed them aside.

Not sure where you get your history from, but the Reichskonkordat (or Concordat between the Holy See and German Reich) was made on July 20, 1933 between the Vatican and President Paul Von Hindenburg. Technically it is still in effect (never been rescinded) but in reality it lasted about 5 days, because on July 25 a new sterilization law was passed which offended Catholics. On July 30th the Nazis took steps to dissolve the Catholic Youth League.

On of the clauses in the agreement was that new Catholic bishops would swear a loyalty oath to the German Reich and that clergy must not work for political parties. During the next years thousands of Catholic priests, nuns and lay leaders were arrested. Erich Klausener, leader of Catholic Action was murdered on June 30, 1934. Scores of Catholic publications were suppressed.

On March 14, 1937 the Pope Pius XI issued an encyclical, “Mit Brennender Sorge” (With Burning Sorrow), charging the Nazi government with “evasion” and “violation” of the concordat and accusing it of sowing “the tares of suspicion, discord, hatred, calumny, of secret and open fundamental hostility to Christ and His Church.” On “the horizon of Germany” the Pope saw “the threatening storm clouds of destructive religious wars … which have no other aim than … of extermination.” (from Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, chapter 8)

Again, I don't know where you are getting your history. Von Papen was acquitted because of a hung jury (so to speak--US and British voted acquittal; France and Russia voted guilty). He was then sentenced to eight years hard labor by a denazification court. Eventually he would get his title Papal Chamberlain restored by the pope in 1959.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And he died soon after, probably murdered by the Gestapo.

18. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If dying "soon after" means two years later, and if "murdered by the Gestapo" means died of a heart attack at age 81, OK.

You do realize that by speculating the Gestapo murdered the pope it does not help your theory that Hitler was a "papist through and through."

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We must conclude then, that neither Hitler nor Pope Pius XI were the final antichrist. :Biggrin

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he changed his mind about Hitler who he had supported,

Like John Paul 1 died of a heart attack? Some hopes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.