1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Andersonville question

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by webdog, Apr 14, 2008.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

2. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

I called Andersonville today and the lady was quite rude to me. Last week, I was told that they would accept (all) my graduate credits by the president. At first, out of 23 credits, they only wanted to give me 3. Eventually they agreed to 12.

But they still want me to pay for the whole program...even the 12 transfer credits.

I have reconsidered and will not attend. I'll just finish up at Nations.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Not to defend Andersonville, but every school has rude people. However asking you to pay for transfer hours sounds a bit odd.

4. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

OK, I just finished my Master's. I thought I had done so last week but was off by 3 credits.

I am considering doing a doctorate degree at Andersonville, as they are the only school I can afford right now.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't. A doctoral degree from an unaccredited institution is probably going to be a waste of money at any price. You won't be able to get a teaching position with it. You probably won't be doing legitimate doctoral-level research. The "title" you get from the degree isn't worth anything.

If you want to learn more, take your money and buy some good books. If you want to hear lectures, you can find them free online.

Sorry for being so blunt, but schools like Andersonville have no business offering doctoral degrees.

6. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

OK.

Which books do you recommend?

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

Thank you, brother.

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't Give Up Yet Buddy

Lawson,

Why not look into Louisiana Baptist University? They are not accredited but they have a good reputation (unlike Andersonville). Their tuition is very low, for the Theological Seminary only $90.00 per hour. I don't know if you qualify for their ThD (offered via the seminary) but you may their PhD (offered via the graduate school). You probably at least should contact them to see if they will honor your Masters from Nations.

In Christ,
    Martin.

10. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

I've checked into LBU before, but they're too expensive. They will honor my credits from Nations.

The biggest problem? Lots of startup fees.

11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, let me ask you two questions. First, what is your goal? In other words, why do you want a doctorate degree? Second, have you asked your church for assistance in paying for the courses?

12. Predestined

Predestined Member

R.L., I am sending in an application to LBU this Friday...graduate school Ph.D. program. It is my understanding that if you arrange for a payment plan, all start up costs/fees are included in amount financed. What will be required from you is a $200.00 deposit; $100.00 monthly payments and all start up costs/fees are included in amount financed. As for interest, I do not believe there is any…do not quote me on that however.

Speaking as a graduate of Andersonville Theological Seminary, one can do much better than ATS without going into debt.

13. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

Eventually I would like to be a teacher, though not necessarily at a college or university.

My church will not assist with seminary.

14. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

I was not aware that the start up fees are included in the amount financed.

Thanks for the information! I may check out LBU next month.

15. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have done work at both. LBU was much better, IMO.

16. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

I forgot about this, but I actually desire to attend Bethany.

http://bethanybc.edu

I don't know why it slipped my mind. I'll likely go there next month.

Robb

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Make sure you read the fine print. I am not sure if you are aware of this or not but Bethany requires on-campus courses in order to earn a degree from them:

"Realizing the benefits of classroom interaction, Bethany has in place a residency requirement. All candidates for Associate degree programs must complete 6-semester hours in-class. Candidates for Bachelor degree programs must complete twelve-semester hours in-class during the four-year period. Candidates for Master and Doctoral programs must complete six-semester hours in-class. This requirement may be satisfied by attending any of the seminars, symposiums, or workshops, which are taught in intensive sessions both at the main campus, and at other locations."- READ MORE

It is possible to get this waived, and you may qualify for that, but I would urge you to make sure before you sign up with Bethany.

Also Bethany has a lot of restrictions on who can enter their doctoral programs. So make sure you meet their requirements before you set all your hopes on Bethany.

You mentioned you wish to teach. Are you talking about high school (etc) or private Bible studies and Sunday School? If you plan to do any teaching in schools or colleges the accreditation issue will become a very important factor. If you want to teach in any school you will need a regionally accredited graduate degree. There are ways for people with limited income to proceed with their education. However you have to contact the schools and see what they are willing to do for you.

18. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

Martin,

Thanks for the information. I cannot, unfortunately, attend on-campus.

I'll likely teach within the church I attend. My pastor merely wants me to get a good education. Nations has provided me with this, so perhaps I don't need to go for a doctorate.

I will speak with my pastor.